Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlocked the saddlebag to put groceries in. Must not have put the fob back in my pocket or not in far.

Started the bike and rode away. When I stopped I realized I couldn't unlock the other bag with my computer in it.

Thanks to a post I read on this site I had set my security override code. I retraced my ride but couldn't find it.

Called the Harley Dealer, no help. Called a locksmith, $75 to pick a lock. Called the stores near where I parked the bike and someone actually picked up the fob and turned it in at the grocery store. Hallelujah! My faith in humankind has been elevated! Disaster averted!

Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. ?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That’s awesome. I imagine it would have been a couple hundred bucks to replace too. The little code thing does come in handy once in a while!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Unlocked the saddlebag to put groceries in. Must not have put the fob back in my pocket or not in far.

Started the bike and rode away. When I stopped I realized I couldn't unlock the other bag with my computer in it.

Thanks to a post I read on this site I had set my security override code. I retraced my ride but couldn't find it.

Called the Harley Dealer, no help. Called a locksmith, $75 to pick a lock. Called the stores near where I parked the bike and someone actually picked up the fob and turned it in at the grocery store. Hallelujah! My faith in humankind has been elevated! Disaster averted!

Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. ?
Write down the 4 digit code on the key for future reference. Any dealer can make a key with it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That’s awesome. I imagine it would have been a couple hundred bucks to replace too. The little code thing does come in handy once in a while!
That's why I practice using it at least once a month. I haven't needed it since I started practicing it, but sure could have used it when I loaned a buddy my bike while on a road trip. He needed to go get a part to fix his bike on the side of the road. He lost the key on the way back.

Thankfully it was a short parts trip and he was able to go back and find the key once his bike was running again.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
My oddest time was stopping at the weather bureau at our airport. Apparently their powerful radio gear jammed my security system.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Write down the 4 digit code on the key for future reference. Any dealer can make a key with it.
Funny that they didn't mention that when I called.

Are the dealers able to reset the PIN on used bikes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your thread has brought to mind the fact I need to program my security code in my new ride. I'll do it this afternoon. Thanks for your post and story, glad it had a good ending.
Bill

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny that they didn't mention that when I called.

Are the dealers able to reset the PIN on used bikes?
You need the keyfob to reset the pin and you can do it yourself. Check out youtube for a tutorial.
I set mine a couple years ago, so I forgot that you didn't need the old code to reset it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your thread has brought to mind the fact I need to program my security code in my new ride. I'll do it this afternoon. Thanks for your post and story, glad it had a good ending.
Bill
Glad my story and the frustration I went through can help others.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bill
When I asked the service rep at my dealer about changing the code, they told me what it was set to. They did say, that if I changed it, I should let them know so they could load the new code into their system. I can see where that could be helpful if I ever could not remember what the code was.

·
Registered
149 Posts
At least you didn’t do the stupid thing I did. I lost one of my fobs, so I purchased another one. It costs $50 by the way for the fob and programming. Two days later I found the fob I lost in my recliner. At least now I have three.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I asked the service rep at my dealer about changing the code, they told me what it was set to. They did say, that if I changed it, I should let them know so they could load the new code into their system. I can see where that could be helpful if I ever could not remember what the code was.
I set it to a PIN I use all the time.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
At least you didn’t do the stupid thing I did. I lost one of my fobs, so I purchased another one. It costs $50 by the way for the fob and programming. Two days later I found the fob I lost in my recliner. At least now I have three.
well, I guess it's good to have a spare, but only two can be programmed to your bike at any one time. so you have a 'non working' spare if you ever lose a fob again, but you'll still have to pay to have it programmed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts