Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what might be causing a loud , clunking noise when I shut down my 2013 RGC ? Seems to occur when the bike is hot. It just hit 15K miles and makes this sound almost every time I kill it. Weird thing is it's kinda random. Doesn't do it every time.
Thanks in advance ...
Lucky D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Compensator going south just check here many treads on this sadly

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
My first thought would be the compensator, but I would have to hear it. Can you tell what part/side of the bike it's coming from?

·
Registered
74 Posts
im having same problem on my 13 ultra 24,000km but dosnt do it often just 1 or two times a day, i was thinking compensater as well but no noise starting bike yet.....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just dropped off my bike at the dealership ... First thing the service writer said was " sounds like the compensator "
I'll post the answer when I get it back. ( hopefully in a day or so )

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Start shopping for a compensator. Do you get any odd noises when you start the bike hot?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Compensator is the common thought and I would have to agree. 15k seemed like the magic number for me... Did not matter which one. Vulcanworks solid sprocket at this point ~ no more compensator....

·
Registered
593 Posts
compensator

Question for compensator problems. Those members that have had problems, have you taken it back to dealer and shown the problem and has the dealer said "O YEA that's a bad compensator" or do they tell you " Bring it back when it is totally trashed"? Will the warranty cover it while it still works even though it's sounds like the whole primary is coming apart?

Just wondering since mine is starting to clunk bad on shut down.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Mine did that randomly, then started doing the loud bang on startup. Just got the compensator replaced last week. Tech said it was pretty chewed up. Got the latest and greatest version installed....... ESP rocks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have read many posts about this problem. My experience is this. I would hear it randomly on shut down on a 1998 1200 Sportster for ten years, and never had a problem. I now ride a 2012 Roadglide Ultra with 35K miles, and it randomly makes a clunk on shut down as well. However, I have noticed with my Roadglide, if I shut it down with the bike in Neutral, -NO CLUNK! -Go figure? I have also noticed no "Hard Starts" as well. This is just my observation from my experience. Maybe try shutting the bike down in Neutral?:D

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Start shopping for a compensator. Do you get any odd noises when you start the bike hot?
Nope, no weird noise when starting.

I have read many posts about this problem. My experience is this. I would hear it randomly on shut down on a 1998 1200 Sportster for ten years, and never had a problem. I now ride a 2012 Roadglide Ultra with 35K miles, and it randomly makes a clunk on shut down as well. However, I have noticed with my Roadglide, if I shut it down with the bike in Neutral, -NO CLUNK! -Go figure? I have also noticed no "Hard Starts" as well. This is just my observation from my experience. Maybe try shutting the bike down in Neutral?:D
I always shut it down in neutral , doesn't make any difference.
I spoke with the service mgr. at the local HD stealership where my bike is and he said " oh that's normal. Some are louder than others"
I told him it only started this noise a couple months ago. " still normal " he said.

A friend with a 2015 Street Glide I talked to today was having a similar noise. A mechanic told him to take the bike out of 'parade' mode. He did and the problem was solved.
I'm gonna try that and will let yall know ...

·
Registered
714 Posts
A friend with a 2015 Street Glide I talked to today was having a similar noise. A mechanic told him to take the bike out of 'parade' mode. He did and the problem was solved.
I'm gonna try that and will let yall know ...

Was your bike really hot when you shut it off? EITMS ("Parade mode") only kicks in when the motor is running hot.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was your bike really hot when you shut it off? EITMS ("Parade mode") only kicks in when the motor is running hot.
The temps have been in the mid to upper 90s here in Texas and I notice the noise after riding about 20 miles home from work. I wouldn't think it was overly hot

In the 'for what it's worth' dept. , I had called the dealership around June with concerns that the rear cylinder seemed to be way hotter than I thought it should be but was told "oh, that's normal."
I don't recall feeling heat like that from the 88ci I traded in for this 103.

Reactions: sputnik

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't recall feeling heat like that from the 88ci I traded in for this 103.
These 103's run hot !
I never felt the heat like I do ( did ) from any other Harley I have had.
I had 88's, 96's and a 110, but nothing ran as hot as my 103.
I switched to a Drago's true duals exhaust and the heat decreased substantially.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dreamcycle is back from the shop but I haven't had time to do enough riding with the 'parade' mode disabled to know if it's gonna make a difference . Hopefully all's well so we'll see. Maybe if fall weather and temps. ever get here and stick around a while I'll know if the 'Clunk' was heat related.
.... meanwhile , I'll just keep the extended warranty paperwork handy. :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts