Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im looking for some insight on an issue I discovered this evening. Since the weather was pretty nice for once this spring, I was able to go on about a 50 mile ride after work, and upon returning home, I shut the bike off before pulling it into the garage. Once I tried to restart the bike to park it for the night, it turned over for a second and then abruptly made a very loud "CLUNK" sound and stopped turning over. After the "clunk", all of the gauges reset, and "V INERR" flashed for a very brief second. I tried to start the bike again, and the "CLUNK" happened once more. It finally started normally after the third try.

I naturally shut the bike off and tried to start it again, to see if this was a one off thing, and it was not. I tried starting the bike about 6 more times, with the "CLUNK" happening 3 times out of the 6.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
453 Posts
I second the compensator sprocket. It happened to my softail. It sounded awful. I thought something blew up.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I agree, this sounds like a compensator problem.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
This may sound strange, but check your battery. If its not providing enough cranking amps, this could happen. I would guess even a small amount low could cause it. The chances of this being the problem on your bike is low, but it isnt zero.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I agree with the rest. Compensator issue. Mine was replaced around 5k miles. Seems to be a common problem. Hopefully you are still under warranty, if not your looking at about a grand to fix.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Don't wait too long on getting it fixed, this same type of issue happened to my Softail. I kept bringing it to the dealer for this issue and I kept getting the usual "they all do that". Then it happened, the starter took a shit and left me stranded at the least convenient time. The dealer picked me and the bike up all the while I got to say "I told you something was wrong". The invoice said the starter was replaced which I do not doubt at all, but I am pretty sure the compensator was done as well. This is going back on my memory a number of years ago, but to answer your question it does not sound normal.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hey all,

Im looking for some insight on an issue I discovered this evening. Since the weather was pretty nice for once this spring, I was able to go on about a 50 mile ride after work, and upon returning home, I shut the bike off before pulling it into the garage. Once I tried to restart the bike to park it for the night, it turned over for a second and then abruptly made a very loud "CLUNK" sound and stopped turning over. After the "clunk", all of the gauges reset, and "V INERR" flashed for a very brief second. I tried to start the bike again, and the "CLUNK" happened once more. It finally started normally after the third try.

I naturally shut the bike off and tried to start it again, to see if this was a one off thing, and it was not. I tried starting the bike about 6 more times, with the "CLUNK" happening 3 times out of the 6.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks for your time
How many miles on the bike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
is this a known issue with 16 RGSs?
anybody have a link that discusses this further?
mileage? model/year? other conditions?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
is this a known issue with 16 RGSs?
anybody have a link that discusses this further?
mileage? model/year? other conditions?
Its a known issue with all modern twin cams, mileage all over the map...happened to my 2010 with 5600 miles, so far so good on my 16 RGU...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as the bike goes, I just rolled over 4,500 miles, is all stock, and under warranty until August.

I took it in today, and their tech stated that one of my starter bolts wasn’t super tight, so that’s what they are going with was the problem, for now. I’m not super convinced this was the issue, but will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Maybe could be your chain tensioner also. There's plenty of info on it malfunctioning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts