Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After a sucky traffic jam last weekend I'm looking into additional engine cooling for my 2018 RG. Does anyone know which of the following is more efficient for low speed/stop and go traffic?
Harley "Cool Flow fan"
Love Jugs
Harley fan assist oil cooler

Thank you
Dave

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Love Jugs or any other fan that mounts on the left side (Lenale, etc), is going to blow air across the fins and help cool the engine. Only problem is that hot air is just going to end up on your right leg. These products DO work to help cool your engine and make the bike run better and last longer, but they don't make much difference in rider comfort.

The Fan assist oil cooler is in the same boat. It will help keep the heads cool, but you are still going to feel heat in stop and go traffic.

The Cool Flow Fan is going to be the most noticeable change in rider comfort. It pulls the heat away from the rear cylinder and exhausts it down, away from the rider. The kit with the fan/triple tree button/cutout heatshield makes a nice package on the '17+ touring bikes. I'd have one in an instant if I had an M8! Unfortunately, there is not a kit to adapt to my '15 103HO. I know there have been a couple folks that have rigged it to work on 2015-2016 bikes, but I am NOT electrically inclined enough to attempt it.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,
I'm not as worried about my leg as the health of the engine. Just ordered a pair of Love Jugs so I'll see what happens in hot stop and go.
Best regards,
Dave

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thank you,
I'm not as worried about my leg as the health of the engine. Just ordered a pair of Love Jugs so I'll see what happens in hot stop and go.
Best regards,
Dave
Hope you have a plan to take real temperature data before and after the Love Jugs. Or are you going with more anecdotal 'seat of pants' (my leg is really hot) measurements?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Cool flow works well on mine - the Love Jugs do an excellent job as well - I was not a fan of the jugs appearance - so I went with the Cool Flow, I set mine on automatic and never think about them until I stop that's when I appreciate it....

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The mighty might from love jugs is what I would recommend. It basically the old Wards set up, which was prolly to most efficient set up around. Why else would LJ litigate the rights to it away from Ward.

No idea as to what flavor of Roadie you have, but assume it must not have water cooling. So it would benefit greatly from jug fans. And it would prolly benefit some from more air over the oil cooler.

I have a set of old Wards fans on my 11, and can basically idle in traffic indefinitely. Added an fan assisted oil cooler when I pushed it out to 110, and while it does hold the oil temps in the reasonable range, its apt to come on any time, not just in traffic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the lcd oil dipstick temp gauge so will check with that once the fans are installed.
Mine is not liquid cooled so it's air and oil that keep the engine from overheating. The 2018's come with an oil cooler (not fan assist) but reading the various threads it seems cooling the heads will be the most efficient means to keep everything cooler. I don't understand why Harley doesn't deliver the touring bikes with a fan assisted oil cooler??

·
Registered
177 Posts
1: Because there are a lot of Harley dinosaurs out there (and on this forum) that don't want anything new or electric and 2: How are they going to sell you one if you already got one on the bike? (This is probably the most important reason, in my opinion.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll go with part 2, MOCO wants the money. As to part 1, Harley has had fuel injection and fly-by-wire longer than almost any mfg and the purists stopped kicking about that long ago.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
No idea as to why the MoCo is reluctant to put additional cooling on these scooters. But I suspect that adding the cooling would be seen as admitting that they are under cooled.

With that said, the fuse panel on my 11 has an empty slot marked "Fan". So even back then they had some plans for adding a fan.

Jug fans make a huge difference. You can keep the head temps almost as cool sitting still, as they are at 60mph. The oil cooler fans are more about the oil life, as opposed to cooling the motor. The Reefer I'm running holds the oil a little under 260f according to the gauge. But the fan light does not mirror the gauge. The fan cuts on and off over time, with no change shown on the gauge. I suspect that the gauge is showing some trans heat on the highway, being in the pan attached to the trans. And the cooler fan reads oil temp at the filter housing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi,

After a sucky traffic jam last weekend I'm looking into additional engine cooling for my 2018 RG. Does anyone know which of the following is more efficient for low speed/stop and go traffic?

Harley "Cool Flow fan"

Love Jugs

Harley fan assist oil cooler

Thank you

Dave

I’ve tried just about every cooling option available on my bikes. I currently only use luv jugs on my 16. I’ve done before and after testing and have PowerVision screenshots and videos to show the difference. just in oil temperature I saved anywhere from 30 to 50° in here depending on right conditions. As for the head temperature you can let the thing idol all day long and it won’t go above 260°. I’ve also tried the new mighty mite and they work well but not as good as the original cool masters. I think I have some videos posted on this form showing the difference with and without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I'm sure they work great but the luv jugs are friggin ugly! Looks matter to me; I'd go with the cooling fan.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
In traffic, you need air over the motor. So jug/head fans are the solution for keeping the engine temps under control. You can overheat an air cooled engine on a cool day.

Oil temps are more of a weather issue. Oil temps are generally a summer concern.

As to which fans you need, the answer is both. Both fan systems have benefits. The Jug fans are far and away the most beneficial, but controlling oil temps is also important.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I vote 4 Love Jugs

After my first experience getting stuck in traffic in Miami while on vacation, my 2015 RGS was so hot the exhaust actually moved some. I researched extensively and decided to do Love Jugs. I love them. They definitely cool that heater down. I have sat in traffic for 20-30 minutes in 100 degree weather and clicked them on and watched it drop my temperature by 40-50 degrees in less than 10 minutes. Amsoil even did a test on them for oil temps and said they were the best product they found. Take it from someone who is almost anal about engine temps and oil temps, these things work great. Love Jugs work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is probably a mute point... on my 2020 RGS 114c.i. After researching and doing the pro's and cons. I ended up installing the cool flow fan and fan assisted oil cooler for my M8. They both seem to work nicely and never had any heat issues so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts