Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I wanted to take a ride to a buddies house. I did my semi-normal ritual and checked the oil. "Full", and only about 300 miles since an Amsoil three hole change so I expected nothing less. Went to my buddies house, had a beer and shot the breeze yada yada yada.

I left and was on my second road home and happened to glance down to the dash to see my low oil idiot light on... I immediately push the information button and started looking for a safe place to pull over. Infotainment info has two dashes ( -- ) in place of the normal "OK".

Obviously I'm thinking the worst at this point, so once I get stopped I check the oil, feel around the oil and its obviously warm from circulation etc. etc. and can't find anything wrong.

So I did what you are never "supposed to do" and fired the engine back up. strangely it started right back up. No idiot light and Info says "OK". So I rode another 16 miles home with absolutely no issues. Started it up again today and no problems.

Think I have an issue or just a computer glitch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeez, remember when we used to go for a ride to relieve stress? Damn computers think they know everything!
Still under warranty, let the dealer make the call, and enjoy the ride.
Yes. I love shovelheads. If I could get a big inch shovelhead with a carb. I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes. I love shovelheads. If I could get a big inch shovelhead with a carb. I'd be all over it.
Had a ''69 FLH, got the tee shirt. Wouldn't go back for a daily rider though. Yep, you could fix damn near anything curbside, but on the other hand you usually had to! My twin cam is much more trouble free, but when trouble comes it takes more time to sort it out. Good luck with your M8, maybe one day I'll be able to afford one!

·
Registered
958 Posts
No you may have a problem - check your ECM code - they've had a few issues and may have to replace your oil pump - mine was done - happened as yours did - if you find a PO522 or PO523 do not clear the code and advise the dealer ASAP....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No you may have a problem - check your ECM code - they've had a few issues and may have to replace your oil pump - mine was done - happened as yours did - if you find a PO522 or PO523 do not clear the code and advise the dealer ASAP....
I just now learned how to check diagnostics... Infotainment shows no logged DTCs. So that's either good news or I did it wrong, but I know for a fact I did not clear anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just now learned how to check diagnostics... Infotainment shows no logged DTCs. So that's either good news or I did it wrong, but I know for a fact I did not clear anything.
Correction. I did it with the ODO button and have an ECM code P0523 - PN001349-01

Trying to figure out what that is exactly

·
Registered
357 Posts
The P0523 code is related to oil pressure. Get the dealer to check it out. Could be a wiring or sensor issue but let them deal with it. They might even send a truck to pick it up once you describe the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer says:
"You have an 18, so you have the new oil pump"
"Its a history code. "Could have happened from a backfire or anything"
PO523 is very clearly an oil pressure code...
"If it happens again, we will replace the sender"

I asked if they scoped the cylinders... "No, we see no need to. Non-issue" (pretty much blew me off like they had no time for my situation)

I want this to be true (no issue), but found the lack of interest or caring to be frustrating. This dealer will get no more of my business. This is a hard bike for me to afford and they treat the situation like they have no time for it. Handed me my keys and pretty much said have a nice day. Last time I darken their door.

I miss my old dealer that retired and shut...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Dealer says:

I asked if they scoped the cylinders... "No, we see no need to. Non-issue" (pretty much blew me off like they had no time for my situation)

I want this to be true (no issue), but found the lack of interest or caring to be frustrating. This dealer will get no more of my business. This is a hard bike for me to afford and they treat the situation like they have no time for it. Handed me my keys and pretty much said have a nice day. Last time I darken their door.

Who's the dealer, don't want to stumble in there by mistake!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Dealer says:

They could be right but even if they aren't I would go ride the bike like she's a call girl on nickel night and I have a bag full of quarters. If it makes it OK with no issues then fine but if something happens to the engine they will come and pick the bike up no matter where I am and the bike WILL be fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They could be right but even if they aren't I would go ride the bike like she's a call girl on nickel night and I have a bag full of quarters. If it makes it OK with no issues then fine but if something happens to the engine they will come and pick the bike up no matter where I am and the bike WILL be fixed.
That's kind of what I have planned. If it throws a code again. Its going to another dealer an hour and a half away. After warranty expires its getting go faster parts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Beerme, I'd have a chat with the owner if I were you. It doesn't cost them a damn thing to put a service test guage on there to make sure it's right, and you just dropped a large chunk of change at their store. Let him know about the attitude towards you and your problem, give him a chance to make it right.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I won't do that here but you have nothing to worry about. They are in NC.
I was there last year and will be back sooner than later :grin:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
just run the shit out of it and if it blows up remind them that it's a non-issue.

i've read so much b.s. on the internet it's getting to the point that i ignore all of it.

i wouldn't worry about it, and it's not worth making enemies with the dealer. if it happens again, try to remember the circumstances.

until they get more of these bikes out on the road i don't think any of them know how they're gonna hold up.

i sure like mine so far, though!

but it's not my bike, so do what you want.

·
Registered
958 Posts
17 or 18 really does not matter if it is sumping it needs to be addressed - I believe the PN is the oil sending unit, which a 523 will suggest - it could be bad, but it would show up again fairly quickly - document the incident with everything that was said - if it happens again call the dealer and ask them what they want you to do - ride it in or do they want to come get it, you've got a couple of years and they know there is a problem - the red light does not come on for no reason they know that - hopefully it was a skip and there is no issue - but you want to continue checking the fluids - transmission as well as engine - make sure there is no transfer happening, if there is get it back to the dealer......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Red oil light on

I have a 2017 RG with 8600 miles. I was on a ride the other day when the oil light came on. I got off the highway and checked the oil and it was full. The oil pressure monitor had --- on it, usually says 0k. A few minutes later i started it up and all was ok no red oil light and the oil pressure monitor said oil pressure ok. I finished the ride and everything was ok. The next day I went for a ride at about 125 miles from home the same thing happened. I checked the oil and it was fine. this time the light didn't go out. I headed home with the light on the bike ran fine and sounded fine. I am bringing in to have it checked out in 2 days

1 - 19 of 19 Posts