Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

Have an issue and need some advice. I have been readiing up on this between a couple of different forums and wanting to know your opinion.

Recently moved to my Road Glide and got new bars on them. Also just recently started feeling comfortable with my bike to dabble with having no hands on the bars when riding. Only at low speeds (less than 45) do i notice that when my hands are off the bars i have a "wobble" in my bars if i am not touching them. Not noticeable with my hands on the bars of course. when i am at highway speeds the bike to me seems to pull left a little but that is also where i keep most of my stuff...in that bag so i don't consider that an issue. Also note that i never tried with the stock bars and no hands

So my main question is would new bars in any way affect the steering of the bike?

I need to check my air pressue in my tires and i will do that tonight as i see that can be a cause for the problem but until then wanted to pick your brains.

thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I noticed this one time (and never since) on my 2010 Roadie. I was perplexed because there was no wobble at all just barely touching the bars, but excessive wobble at that one time. I've checked for it again, but not seen it since. Keeping an eye peeled...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i appreciate the quick reply guys....Read up on the link provided...but everyone that seems to be having this problem that i can see have stock bars.... just wondering if i should "bring a lunch" to the dealer to get them to check it out before telling me well...new bars...not our problem.....ya know what i mean???

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i appreciate the quick reply guys....Read up on the link provided...but everyone that seems to be having this problem that i can see have stock bars.... just wondering if i should "bring a lunch" to the dealer to get them to check it out before telling me well...new bars...not our problem.....ya know what i mean???
I have heritage bars on mine, so I don't think the bars will have that much to do with it. On some folks here it's worse than others, but the issue doesn't seem to be with the bars. They may amplify or mediate it, but it's not the issue.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It aint your Bars brother. Any Harley Dealer that tells you that it is,...is full of sh*t! If your below 45mph, like 35 mph,and taken your hands off the bars for a looonnng period of time then your Flurtn with Disaster. But @ 45 to 50 mph is when I had my tank slap crap going on! It was my stearing head bolt. This has been a issue on some 2009's and some 2010's. Best to have your stearlership check it to be safe!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The same thing has happened to me twice with stock bars. Both time I was on deceleration at slower speeds and chocked it up to that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had a simmilar problem with my 09 FLTR, they replaced the front tire and the steering fall away and its be good ever since.....

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I've never had a problem with the wobble, but the only time I take my hands off the bars are at highway speeds (70-75). Then if it drifts to the left or right, I just lean my weight towards the other side. After a while you'll get used to it, and pretty much steer the bike with no hands :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
If a wobble still occurs check the wheel alignment. The front wheel and rear wheel should be aligned with each other. If the rear is off just a little the wheels will want to fight each other.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

First and foremost thanks one and all for your resopnses.

I originally took my bike to the dealer i purchased the bike from and asked them to check the "fall away" (i think that is what the official term is) and explained in great detail everythign i was experiencing

1. Riding with buddies going same speed and some can remove their hands from teh bars and stretch out their arms (2-3 seconds off the bar completely 30-45 mph) and track true and straight on the road. i can't bike would go down if hands off the bars at low speed.

2. Bike pulls left at highway speeds

3. When putting bike on lift bars immediately dive to right.

So drop the bike off in the morning talk to the service manager cuz he was helping out cuz they were busy that morning so i thought "cool" got to the right guy and told him eveything and feeling good about my chances of getting thsi corrected the first time with no real heart ache to go along with it.

Service manager tells me "dont' worry about it we will get it looked at for you...should have it up on a lift by mid morning"

1130 I get a call from the dealership "jbrawkus...lol....your bike is ready to go." I asked what did they correct/fix. "let me let you talk with the tech taht worked on your bike and he can explain" "jbrawkus..this is tom...everything was to spec on your bike".....WHAT??!?!?!?!?!?! are you serious? "yes sir i could not get the bike to do any of the things you were talking about" I procedd to go over my list with this idiot again and ask him to tell me that everything i brough up to them was waht he bike was supposed to do. "the primary being so heavy will cause the bike to track...left.. do you r buddies have the same bars as you etc...etc...etc.." I tell him to have the bike ready i am coming to get it.

Immediately place a call to a dealership i have had pretty good luck with in the past (pretty far from where i live mind you and not convienent but good folks) Explain what was happening and they say..."sounds like a fall away issue. Please bring it in and we can check it for you" GEt there and talk to my buddy "service writer now" who has a Road Glide....tells me in the shop and dealership they have like 9 people who ride the road glide and can't guarantee any miracles but would get his peeps to check it out for me.

Happened to be up there the next day picking up my windsplitter shield for my glide (works great for me by the way!) Get a call from the tech on my bike wanting to talk to me. I tell him i am in the store and will be right over.

He literally walked me through every single thing he did on the bike...pulls out the service manaual and shows me what he old specs were for checking the fall away and what teh new specs are now. He asked me to go over my list of issues again and had an answer and a fix for each one (minus the pulling left cuz of the primary....this has been reduced now though now the bike wants to go straight to begin with I can live with that)

BOttom line is dont just accept things on your bike are as they should be...take it where ever you have to to get things corrected and develop a relationship with the good people when you can.

Javalina Harley Davidson is a great place to get work done on your bikes.

They don't budge on pricing though...lol

Sorry for the long post...going to be placing calls to the original service manager this morning.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I would definatly take a copy of the work-up over to the first tech, and show him how a REAL mechanic fixes things. Be rude, because thats the only way he will realize that he is a dummy and people will find out.
You make a customer happy, he tells his friends... you make a customer mad, he tells everyone he knows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wobble

JB - Had the same problem - dealer found that the steering yoke was loose and not to spec - when tightened problem fixed! Hope this helps>

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I would definatly take a copy of the work-up over to the first tech, and show him how a REAL mechanic fixes things. Be rude, because thats the only way he will realize that he is a dummy and people will find out.
You make a customer happy, he tells his friends... you make a customer mad, he tells everyone he knows.
Dummy? I think a better definition of this guy,... DORK! Can ya tell me the definition of a DORK,... better yet, let me tell ya,...Whale Penius! This guy represents Harley-Davidson as a mechanic? I think he would be better appreicated at Sea World. Dont ya think? When ya take a copy of the work up order to him, put a Free Willy stricker on it.Or better yet, lets all call up their and ask to talk to Moby Dick. He works in the Service Department.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts