Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you have to trim in order for a vented lower fairing to fit on my 09 Road Glide. If buy a used set and have to get it painted anyway, I was thinking maybe I should trim it and then paint it, if I can, and then just put it on. It would be much easier than taking everything off again (did it for my painted inner fairing).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Instead of trimming you can go buy the fairing mounts that raise the fairing the inch required to use the vented lowers.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't you have to take the inner and outer fairings off?

·
Registered
284 Posts
To be honest with you, I'm not 100% sure. I know I've either seen the answer to this question on this forum, or the OTHER forum. My response was just from a personal stand point. I'd rather install them the right way with the lift than do any "trimming". When I do things like that, they don't always turn out right. I'm sure if you researched it a bit, or talked to the folks that have had their glides way longer than me, you'll find the answer you're looking for. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
the trimming you're referring to is that part of the cap that runs along the top of the crash bar. the newer fairing lowers come with that already shortened. the problem that you are gonna have, even if you do trim that piece, is that the older (like 09 is old now :D) fairings sit lower so that there will be either very little clearance between the lower and the fairing, or it will actually hit it. i say either because i have seen both. i guess all bikes don't come from the factory exactly the same....

the best way to do it would be to buy the 3 pieces required to lift the fairing up, and give it that little forward tilt. it isn't very expensive, and doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do, but i'm sure it would intimidating if you have never removed the fairing before. don't have the part numbers handy, but search for it on here, several folks have done it.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
so only the caps have to be ground down , not the fairing itself?
No grounding the caps....:eek:
What year bike do you have and what lowers are you looking at?
Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2009 road glide base. havent bought lowers yet. would prefer to go with newer vented lowers. but would be ok with older non-vented lowers. which ever is the easiest to do. I feel reasonably comfortable making minor reductions to the tops of lower fairing/caps. Less so with changing the fairing mounting bracket, the two engine gurard brackets don't look like much of a challange.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Changing the fairing mounting brackets are real easy it is just a little time consuming. Go with the vented fairing lowers you will be much happier than doing the non-vented.
I only takes around 3 hours and a few beers to swap out the upper fairing mounting brackets and that is taking your time.
To begin with you do not have to remove any of the gauges or the speakers they will come out with the inner fairing. You only need to pull the radio which only has 4 bolts.
Label the gauge wires because the plugs are typical but all the other plugs are plug specific (male only fits correct female). Take a few pics of the wiring will help you run the wires in the right place when putting things back together.
If you buy new fairing lowers get the 2010 and later fairing lowers because they fit right up without any trimming or cutting, 2009 and earlier vented fairing lowers were made for batwing bikes and would require trimming of fairing cap. You can also order the new fairing lowers already painted to match.
I did this upgrade to my 2008.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts