Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the black cover kit on my M8 when ever i find a few free hours on a weekend so i just wanted to get a game plan incase i need any special tools or need to know anything

Question 1: It looks like the tank will have to come off to replace the upper box cover does it?????

Question 2 the lower box covers do i need to remove the rockers or anything else to replace the lowers???

Either way ill be pulling them off to switch to the black ones, I just like to know what im getting into before i start taking it apart.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1)Yes. 2) Yes. Get the manual. You will need to pull the rockers and push rods. Fuel will run out when you remove the cross over line, so empty the tank first.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Yes you will need to pull the tank.

Then it's the covers and the rocker arms, followed by the lowers. 8 bolts in the lowers.

You may need to pull the oil separator, not sure if it's in the way or not.

When you put the rockers back on, make sure the tappets are on base (valves closed) as you draw the shaft bolts tight. And draw them down evenly by hand. You'll also need some thread chasers to clean the old thread locker out of the bolt holes. Locktite won't hold if you don't clean the holes and bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm putting the black cover kit on my M8 when ever i find a few free hours on a weekend so i just wanted to get a game plan incase i need any special tools or need to know anything

Question 1: It looks like the tank will have to come off to replace the upper box cover does it?????

Question 2 the lower box covers do i need to remove the rockers or anything else to replace the lowers???

Either way ill be pulling them off to switch to the black ones, I just like to know what im getting into before i start taking it apart.
There was a real good YouTube out there that shows step by step and items to watch for. Not the M8 but sure its close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AoAgXXfQxE
This one will give you a good idea of whats in store.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dQ1-A6Ig1w

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
You need to take great care and follow the manual during every step of this process if you must do this yourself. I have already heard of seasoned mechanics breaking the heads as the new design is much different than what is shown in the video's above on the TC engine. The M8 has the rocker arm shaft that goes through a molded section of the head and has a bolt that goes through it to hold it in place. This is different than the old rocker support plate that the twin cams have. If you do not follow the bolt torque sequence to the letter as well as the torque spec itself you have more than a great chance of breaking it. The only real similarity in the procedure to the twin cam is relieving the valve train pressure. If you have never worked on one of these before you may want to consider paying to have it done. That way if anything breaks, they are responsible.

·
Registered
352 Posts

I don't know what your experience level is as a mechanic, so be warned that this is not like changing the valve covers on a small block Chevy. You are not just removing a cover. It is a functional and structural part of the engine, and a screw up can cost you big time, and not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer told me the m8 is designed differently and the rocker arms do not need to be removed the lower covers fit around them but the rear bolts are a b**** go get to don't know for a fact but that's what I was told. Id like to know im about to do the same project.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
My dealer told me the m8 is designed differently and the rocker arms do not need to be removed the lower covers fit around them but the rear bolts are a b**** go get to don't know for a fact but that's what I was told. Id like to know im about to do the same project.
dealer doesn't know what he's talking about..... (imagine that :D)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah that's a shocker lol do you have install instructions for upper rockers and how to remove the lines over the top of them?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Yeah that's a shocker lol do you have install instructions for upper rockers and how to remove the lines over the top of them?
no problem....

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rear two bolts are difficult to get to if you don’t have the right tools.
The oil line is tricky to uninstall and install.
Manuals are not 100% accurate.
The dealer was right about taking the rocker arms off. (Gives you more room to get the lower out)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts