Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around and didn't see this question specifically asked or answered so I'm asking.

Will the speaker pods in the lowers fit along with a heavy breather (on and ultra)?

I'm going to upgrade the noise, but I'm not sure how just yet. I don't really want to cut my own inner fairing, so I'm thinking maybe I'll add speakers to the lowers and amp the front 4 and just move the front 6.5s (2ohm) to the rear, so the 4 channel amp (4ohm) would power 4 speakers up front and the stereo would power the rears. (I personally don't think the rears matter, but I'm already running 6.5s upfront from the stereo so no point in throwing them away)...

·
Registered
987 Posts
I was going to try this on my 13. You can get it to fit but it looked like with the vibration it would hit the grill. Never started it up to be sure but it was tight.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i would say no. I run a heavy breather with lowers. with the stock filter, it will not fit. with the compact filter, it will fit and give you about 1/4'' clearance. add the speaker pods into the lowers and I think the grill is going to stick out too far.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
i would say no. I run a heavy breather with lowers. with the stock filter, it will not fit. with the compact filter, it will fit and give you about 1/4'' clearance. add the speaker pods into the lowers and I think the grill is going to stick out too far.
Not to mention that even if it did fit, it would cover up most if not all of the sound from that speaker rendering it useless. Just use an A/C that works with lowers and be done with it. Plenty out there that perform just as well as the heavy breather anyway.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
One of the guys at Horny Toad opened up a new compact filter and tried to fit it on my '13 with lower speakers. It wasn't even close to fitting on mine and I use the Harley speaker pods and Harley speaker grills.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
950 Posts
As has been stated, it's pretty tight clearance with the SE Heavy Breather and the Lowers on an Ultra.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a bit more space on mine... but it will not work anyway.

I have the heavy breather for looks, performance wise it isn't any different than anything else.

For now I opted to jump amp the 2 front speakers. I'm not to excited about old jumpy hands me, cutting holes into my fairing, so maybe next year I'll shell out the $$$ to have it done by the pros...

·
Registered
950 Posts
That's what I was trying to convey. There is ABSOLUTELY no room for speakers with the Heavy Breather. There's barely room for the lowers and that is using the shorter air filter.

I apologize if I was not clear earlier.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
That's what I was trying to convey. There is ABSOLUTELY no room for speakers with the Heavy Breather. There's barely room for the lowers and that is using the shorter air filter.

No harm done. My bad. I missed your point. On another note. I didn't know fitment with the regular lower glove boxes was THAT tight! Damn! Is that the compact heavy breather?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yes, that is the compact Heavy Breather. The only difference between this and the normal Heavy Breather is the length of the air filter.

It is tight, but it doesn't hit. I've got over 52K miles on the bike and not one sign of rubbing or impacting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've got over 65K with no issues, but I've only got a 103, so the 110 might be different (hehe).

Hey Stick_FSMC

So, did we walk the same path? I sold my VN2000 a while back. That thing was a beast, but long trips where eating me alive on that bike. The Road Glide is much better. I got the same color, but I got it in 2011. Sometimes I kinda miss it...

Oh, I live in Elk Grove. So the coincidences are starting to pile up here... You stalking me? LOL (FYI: My back is killing me, and I've taken a Percocet, so I'm pretty sure I'm a) rambling and b) probably not make sense anyway, but I'm going to enjoy my time today...)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've got over 65K with no issues, but I've only got a 103, so the 110 might be different (hehe).

Hey Stick_FSMC

So, did we walk the same path? I sold my VN2000 a while back. That thing was a beast, but long trips where eating me alive on that bike. The Road Glide is much better. I got the same color, but I got it in 2011. Sometimes I kinda miss it...

Oh, I live in Elk Grove. So the coincidences are starting to pile up here... You stalking me? LOL (FYI: My back is killing me, and I've taken a Percocet, so I'm pre/tty sure I'm a) rambling and b) probably not make sense anyway, but I'm going to enjoy my time today...)
Now you're just really creeping me out! :surprise:

L4-L5 Laminectomy in 1996. Still use percocet from time to time.

So, what happened to your back?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that was creeping you out, trust me, you don't want to know how I ended up in this spot!!! lol. I've got a pair of herniated disc, I've responded fairly well to chiropractic treatment and decompression, so my doc it holding off on surgery for the moment. It's going to happen eventually, but if I can stay away another 5 years it's all good. Most days my back doesn't bother me anyway, well, as along as I keep up with walking, etc......

·
Registered
4,296 Posts

I don't remember who right off the bat, but he has a compact heavy breather and speakers in his lowers. but, in order to make it fit, he had to cut the filter mount down some so its a little shorter. he also removes the filter and the elbow at the same time, no way to remove just the filter.

it can be done, but no way is it plug and play.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts