Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the shock oil weight makes a difference in the monotubes? Reason i ask is, had the original mono's on my sg lowered -2,pulled them out to put in rg and the plastic cap was broke. Sent them to progressive to fix and instead they sent me new ones cause early ones had issues even though mine didnt.didnt expect that but good for me. Put new ones in at -1 with the screamin eagle extra heavy oil and they are stiff as hell, not happy. They now tell you to use 20wt fork oil instead of 10wt, could this be my problem?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't think so. The oil doesn't have any impact on dampening with monotubes ... it's just for lubrication. If the ride is too stiff for you, it's the monotube itself. You used the 3 preload spacers? Maybe give them a call and they can suggest a different setup. Or maybe you're just used to your old ones? I'm loving mine.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did you put in 5 oz of fork oil? Remember the monotubes are sealed units and the oil is only to lube the outer parts not control dampening. If you put any more than that in it could be adding to the stiff ride you are having.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The newer monotube call for 20w rather than 10w. Progressive told me it was just because the 20w oils seem to not leak as bad and better for seals. But 5 oz is the key.

The spacers control your firmness. Most including myself seem to use 2 spacers, 3 spacers is very firm. The upper spacers control the stiffness, the lower springs/spacer control the height.

2 inches equal both small springs

1-1/2 inch is larger spring and 1 spacer

1 inch is larger or the small springs

The lower you drop the firmer it needs to be so if you drop more than an inch I think you should use 2 spacers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
last week ii ordered the monotubes for my glide and in the instructions it called for 5oz of 10wt fork oil. i did it as so and it feels stiffer than stock for sure. Confused on the 20wt oil. i have yet to install the 23" and take it for ride.

·
Registered
723 Posts
last week ii ordered the monotubes for my glide and in the instructions it called for 5oz of 10wt fork oil. i did it as so and it feels stiffer than stock for sure. Confused on the 20wt oil. i have yet to install the 23" and take it for ride.
Like folks said before the weight really doesn't matter, It is there to lubricate the seals and reduce friction between the monotube and the forks themselves.

The key is 5 oz to make sure there is adequate lubrication's but not too much to cause too much pressure on the seals and blow them out on a hard bump.

The 10w vs 20w is just about how well it protects the seals, has nothing to do with the ride or shock performance at all.

You may have gotten a older set of instructions, I don't think it really matters at all. I used the HD heavy duty oil.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I installed monotubes in my 09RG last month. I'm getting quite a bit of noise out of them. The noise sounds like the springs dragging up and down inside of the forks (SPROINGGGGG, SPROINGGG). Anyone else having this issue?

I didn't install them, but the Indy that did said they put EXACTLY 5 oz of oil in them. Calls to Progressive indicated that this has been a problem on Japanese bikes but not on Harleys.

BG

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm getting noise as well...sounds like the goose-neck bearings are loose, but they're actually on the tight side if anything.

If I had it to do all over again, I would simply do the standard lowering kit and not the monotubes...more money than they're worth and they ride a little stiffer than I like.

D-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts