Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my new bike is held up at the dealer since they havent been able to road test it after the setup, due to the 3 feet of snow we've gotten over the past week...and it looks like 4 more days of snow heading my way starting saturday. so no bike for me for awhile. I will definitley need to lower the bike some when i get it, I'm 5'6 and not flat footed on it. Has anyone lowered just the rear of the bike using lowering blocks? My last bike (a Switchback) I lowered by using shorter Progressive shocks. I am hesitant to change out the shocks on my brand new RGS since the easy hand adjustable function is what i find convenient...that and i hate to remove 550 dollar shocks just to replace them with 550 dollar Progressives. I am looking at lowering blocks made by Tamarack, anyone have experience with them? if not, any suggestions on a decent setup that will last till i muster up the dough to replace with shorter shocks?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have a 15 RGS and I am also 5'6" tall. I have swapped out the seat with a Danny Gray Speedcradle solo mainly for looks but I hoped I might get a little closer to the ground in the process. I do love the look and I have spent up to 3hrs none stop and I am happy with the ride. I have no idea what you weigh but unless you plan on a lot of 2up or heavy loads you may not be all that pleased with those stock shocks. I tip the scales at 165 lbs and with the shocks adjusted all the way down to the lowest/lightest setting I don't think I have enough @$$ to make them work. The ride has been stiff and jarring since day one. I am currently thinking of replacing mine with a softer lower riding shock. Just offering my 2cts.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had the lowering blocks on my13 custom for 2 yrs ,not a problem. I also like the less harsher ride of the stockers, when loaded for trip just boost up the
pressure. Bought mine off flea bay from LA CHOPPERS run em in second hole no probs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too have a 15 RGS and I am also 5'6" tall. I have swapped out the seat with a Danny Gray Speedcradle solo mainly for looks but I hoped I might get a little closer to the ground in the process. I do love the look and I have spent up to 3hrs none stop and I am happy with the ride. I have no idea what you weigh but unless you plan on a lot of 2up or heavy loads you may not be all that pleased with those stock shocks. I tip the scales at 165 lbs and with the shocks adjusted all the way down to the lowest/lightest setting I don't think I have enough @$$ to make them work. The ride has been stiff and jarring since day one. I am currently thinking of replacing mine with a softer lower riding shock. Just offering my 2cts.
I usually run about 200 lbs plus my gear for work has to weigh 30-35 lbs spread out in the saddlebags and a tour pack. So, my fat a$$ may be enough to compress those stock springs....lol.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I had rear lowering blocks on my 05 RG for over 40k miles and currently have them on my 11 RGU for over 15k without issue. Shouldn't be any reason why they wont work on a 15.

·
Registered
20 Posts
http://www.meancitycycles.com/

I needed to lower my bike an inch to get my feet on the floor. I'm 5'8.
Decided not to mess with the suspension.
Easy solution is to have your seat lowered - go to the site and see the different ways they suggest, I get the seat back on the 25th of Feb. Will post results.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually have an uphostery company that mods bike seats local to me, although his prices are bit higher than mean city. I will probably do both, the seat mod AND the lowering blocks. Did you guys have to change out the kickstand after you used the lowering blocks?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Also did seat mod n love it , it feels more like ur riding in the bike instead of on top of it. No kickstand mod here.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I actually have an uphostery company that mods bike seats local to me, although his prices are bit higher than mean city. I will probably do both, the seat mod AND the lowering blocks. Did you guys have to change out the kickstand after you used the lowering blocks?
No you won't need to get a shorter stand. I've had a set of blocks on my bike for about 35k miles without any issues. last fall I only removed the blocks for air ride

·
Registered
27 Posts
lowering kit

Just wanted to pass this along,

So I have a 15 rgs with 21 front wheel and 17in rear wheel, and CFR exhaust. I ordered this lowering kit and installed. WELL here is where it gets crazy!!!

I took it out for a ride and scrubbed both exhaust tips and LIFTED rear wheel in a right hand turn, so I contacted Covington and the answer I got is this...

(well since you have installed a 21frt wheel, you have changed the RAKE and you are scrubbing right?)

so long story short...lowering kit is REMOVED and sold to a new owner.

Lost my ass on that....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm 5'6 my '13 RG I lowered with blocks hated the ride, u ride hard and it didn't ride as good (if you say it does you are just justifying it to your self) and it doesn't turn as well so I lifted it back up. Realistically you don't have to lower. If you can get the bike off the stand you can put your feet down at a light. You just need a parking lot and work on your balance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just ordered the lowering brackets for my 15 rgs, I go to put em on and the bracket itself is in the way of the shock, there's no way it'd be able to work unless I grind off a bunch of the bracket, it's one of those 1, 2 and 3 inch lowering links, just wondering if anyone else ran into this and if I just said forget it or how u fixed it... ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joining in to see the results, My dad and my self both ride 14 and 15 road glides. we are both tall but want to get the lowered look out of them. Many people suggest the 1.2.3 kits but i am unsure if that is the right road to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I'm just gonna go ahead and grind my lowering brackets down to clear the bigger coils on the special and try it out, it was only $30 and no refunds so y not

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Joining in to see the results, My dad and my self both ride 14 and 15 road glides. we are both tall but want to get the lowered look out of them. Many people suggest the 1.2.3 kits but i am unsure if that is the right road to go.
So You And Your Dad Both Ride 2014 & 2015 Roadglides.
Well I can tell you for sure that 2014 Roadglide must be a one of a kind because in 2014 the Roadglide was not available. 2014 Is the year they re-designed the Roadglide. Too Funny

1 - 20 of 22 Posts