·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's what I did

We have a 2012 RG Ultra we bought last September. We had a softail heritage classic which was a good height for me. I lowered the Ultra in the back using the RG Custom rear shocks, changed the seat for a reduced reach seat, and lowered front end using the Progressive drop in kit without spacers. So dropped front end about 2". The height is very close to the heritage and maybe a bit lower. Ride is great both with just me or 2 up. I had a shop put in the Progressive shocks and it cost me about $380. I will have to change out the kick stand to a 1" shorter stand.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just sold my Heritage and no way is my RGC as low as it was. And I have a "low" stock 2011 Street Glide sear on it. Maybe taller by an inch or more.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Ok tonight the wife has said she wanted start riding the RGC, she used to ride the soft-tail and once in a while I even rode well you know, she is tippy toeing and I am not ok with that, I don’t want to sink alot in lowering it, saving up for stage one and SWII.
Any Ideas

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have a 2012 RG Ultra we bought last September. We had a softail heritage classic which was a good height for me. I lowered the Ultra in the back using the RG Custom rear shocks, changed the seat for a reduced reach seat, and lowered front end using the Progressive drop in kit without spacers. So dropped front end about 2". The height is very close to the heritage and maybe a bit lower. Ride is great both with just me or 2 up. I had a shop put in the Progressive shocks and it cost me about $380. I will have to change out the kick stand to a 1" shorter stand.
I did the same except I used Bitchen Baggers shocks, installed the drop-in kit myself and had my seat reworked with gel pads installed. As for the jiffy stand, I filed the hole that the stand sits in with a rat tail file. It took a while to get low enough, but it worked. There is plenty of meat in the bracket to file out without weakening the unit. I got the idea from another on this site who had the same problem. Ride is fine with two up. We rode 1300 miles to San Antonio, TX and back and the wife didn't complain even after a 10 hour riding day.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron she said no to the boots but thanks for looking out for a brother,
with a lowering kit will 2 inchs be to much if we ride 2 up, will tire rub fender anyone have this problem?

Sherm

·
Shark of the Month July 13
3,145 Posts
why did i not know about this?!
i will be asking my husband about this link you posted. $30.00 for a few inches that will make it safer for me to stand/park my bike? Heck yes i'm going to try it!

I'm 5'5" and with the heels that i have on my boots it's still a bit of a stretch

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got that same kit on my 08. I set it at 2”, I've st my air shocks at 35lbs and I sill get tire rub on my fender riding solo. I'm 6'2” weight 200lbs, so I'm thinking riding two up would rub the piss out of the fender. But since its adjustable I can move it up to 1” if she every rides too.

Btw I think the quality on that set and the way it mounts up is quite good

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh and I just used a 5* spacer out of the jp catalog for the jiffy stand worked perfect cheaper than a new lowered stand

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I used a set of 1" lowering blocks. They will change the shock angle a lil bit but with only the 1" it really isnt noticable. I would definitely check the clearance between tire and fender if youre going to lower 2"s. That may also have an affect on the ride as well. I have approx 23k miles on theses lowering block without any issues

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok tonight the wife has said she wanted start riding the RGC, she used to ride the soft-tail and once in a while I even rode well you know, she is tippy toeing and I am not ok with that, I don’t want to sink alot in lowering it, saving up for stage one and SWII.
Any Ideas
Saw a kit on ebay not sure about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-HARLEY-TOURING-REAR-ADJUSTABLE-LOWERING-KIT-1-3-/250820842541?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6616542d&vxp=mtr
If you don't have this seat then find one. It sits me real low. Not sure if all RGCs have this "low" seat or not.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts