Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower the suspension on my RGU. I do not want to lose travel in the process and want to be able to set sag correctly. This seems to be a little spoke of topic. Removing spacers and progressive springs are the norm it seems. Has anyone measured the loss of travel/sag with the lowering kit installed?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not to point out the obvious but you are planing on lowering the bike thus reducing the amount of travel that the suspension has but you don't want to lose travel? Your best be in lowering the bike is to find a setup that still has a fair ammount of spring rate variation to maintain a comfortable ride however you will inevitably loose travel.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Pretty much no matter what you do, the limiting factor is the point where the front fender wacks the bottom of the lower triple tree. Using the stock components the fork can only go so far before it bottoms.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
HD spends tons of money in Research & Development to come up with the best handling bikes possible. So lowering a suspension will affect handling and ride. There are aftermarket suspension companies that offer a variety of upgrades but any upgrade that lowers the bike will affect the handling of the bike. Lowering the bike may make it look COOL but it will affect the ride and handling of the bike, stick with the same height suspension if you can because it is best for ride and handling.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I disagree with Ironmark. I have lowered my front two inches and the back 1 inch with the 940's and progressive cartridge inserts and I feel my bike handles better, but is a little rougher riding.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I disagree with Ironmark. I have lowered my front two inches and the back 1 inch with the 940's and progressive cartridge inserts and I feel my bike handles better, but is a little rougher riding.
Not only does the bike ride rougher but you also loose lean angel. HD engineers would make the bike lower if there was a handling and ride advantage. HD does have proving grounds facilities that extensively test all the models that they manufacture. As far as I know the manufactures of aftermarket lowering kits and suspensions do not have the test facilities that would equal HD.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Not only does the bike ride rougher but you also loose lean angel. HD engineers would make the bike lower if there was a handling and ride advantage. HD does have proving grounds facilities that extensively test all the models that they manufacture. As far as I know the manufactures of aftermarket lowering kits and suspensions do not have the test facilities that would equal HD.

Wanna talk about the obscene(and dangerous) brake dive that the 09-up models have and the Progressive monotube inserts eliminate, while also making the ride and handling much better??
What's safer, being able to flat foot when you stop or having to try to handle the bike on your tip-toes. None of Harley's touring models are very ergonomically friendly to those of us with less than 32" inseams. Therefore, lowering the suspension, front, rear or both makes for a safer riding experience.
The MoCo has alot of stuff to factor in when designing suspensions. What they end up with is a best-guess compromise of alot of factors, not the least of which is cost. To say that a aftermarket replacements for some components cannot be better is pretty short sighted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may want to read these post on H-D Forum concerning front fork changes. I made this change (lowered front 1") along with Ohlins 3-3 rear and it dramatically changed handling without sacrificing ride quality.
Search below on H-D Forum
Who wants their Ricor Intiminators to work better?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input. Having come from the sport bike world making change like I suggest would not be as much of a problem. I am used to setting sag at about 25-30% of suspension travel for the best suspension operation. Looks like I'm getting too OCD trying to correct the fit and brake dive with just suspension changes alone. Ricor, Progressive & Race Tech all have Spring/Valve changes that will cure the braking issue I believe. The suspension Techs I have spoken to say once I do the front I will see where the back will need to be changed as well. That being said if I'm going to spend $1200 in suspension upgrades I would like to get it right the first time, I read here, only buying it once. Looks like I may be better to change the seat to achieve the lower position. Laughlin River Run is just a couple weeks and a 1/2 tank of gas away.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Wanna talk about the obscene(and dangerous) brake dive that the 09-up models have and the Progressive monotube inserts eliminate, while also making the ride and handling much better??
What's safer, being able to flat foot when you stop or having to try to handle the bike on your tip-toes. None of Harley's touring models are very ergonomically friendly to those of us with less than 32" inseams. Therefore, lowering the suspension, front, rear or both makes for a safer riding experience.
The MoCo has alot of stuff to factor in when designing suspensions. What they end up with is a best-guess compromise of alot of factors, not the least of which is cost. To say that a aftermarket replacements for some components cannot be better is pretty short sighted.

I have the Progressive suspension 440 rear shocks and the Progressive monotubes in the front forks but I did not lower the bike because I scrape the floorboards enough now so why would I reduce the lean angle. The monotubes are a completely different suspension design compared to the traditional springs in the front forks, even with the monotubes you still get some front end dive when applying the front brakes. I did sacrifice some ride quality when going to this suspension setup because I got a rougher ride but I got a little better handling due to the stiffer suspension, so it was a equal trade off as far as I am concerned. I have a 30" inseam and I have never been on my TIP TOES when sitting on my bike even when I first got it and it had that big touring seat, when I sit on my bike BOTH of my feet are flat on the ground and my knees are bent and the bike is at stock height.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts