Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing an 800 mile trip and would like a little less reach to my bars - If I just loosen the handlebars and drop them, say, an inch, will that hurt anything? Like clearing the tank, fairing, etc? Will the bars be any closer??

·
Registered
643 Posts
Doing an 800 mile trip and would like a little less reach to my bars - If I just loosen the handlebars and drop them, say, an inch, will that hurt anything? Like clearing the tank, fairing, etc? Will the bars be any closer?? [/B

I did just what you are asking - I loosened the bars and rolled them toward me a bit. It didn't hurt anything. As for clearances, you just have to test that yourself. Adjust the bars, tighten the screws, turn the wheel lock to lock.

After making the adjustment I went on a 5700 mile trip. When I got back I installed the Heritage Style bars. That should tell you something. (see my post on the installation.)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Are they angled with the forks now?
I have my 2010 RG Bars pulled back quite a bit more than the angle of the front forks and it helps me reach them as I am only 5'6". Problem now is because they are so low, i get the in between the shoulder blade pain. Kind of a strain to have my arms down low, while looking up. Taller bars with more pullback are in my future.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I angled mine back exactly like your describing,and it removed all need for new bars, and that was 22k miles ago. I still like rolled back just a bit.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did them Saturday, easy to do - just remove bezel (2 screws) and expose the top bolts of the handlebars clamp (loosen just those two), mark original set up and measure to some set points, lower bars and remeasure. I lowered mine about 1/2" which moved the measured point 1/2" forward. If you lower them too much they will hit the center console. 3 screws on each control pod to loosen and adjust brake and clutch levers. Rode about 75 miles and will be getting Heritage or WO bars after I finish this upcoming trip. Somehow I knew that...:( But was hoping!

·
Registered
140 Posts
lowering mine did not help with shoulder pain. Didn't make it any worst, but no gains for the time it took. I read every post on here trying to find what works best for the 6+ footers. The bars are my only gripe with my RGC.

·
Registered
233 Posts
joke, i replaced mine with heritage bars too. the hardest part of the entire install, truly, was reinstalling the damn outer fairing! the throttle by wire swap is simple, just gotta find the plug!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have done this when I had the front off to put the new legs on but I've had the fairing off so many times now it's a snap. Had I known how easy the bars were to replace...now I know. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts