Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first time on the forum. Lots of great info. I need some advice. So I was at Daytona bike week last week and dropped my 2013 ultra. Not much damaged I was stopped. My girl sprained her ankle. I am only 5ft 7in with a 30 in inseam. I have been having trouble going slow and in parking lots or stopping. Bike seems top heavy. So, I want to lower. Saw a lot of options. I ride solo about 50 percent of the time. Last bike was a fatboy and had no problems with handling it. Need advice on lowering without breaking the bank and losing performance.
Thanks

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Look at the thread on Monroe Shocks for the rear. Progressive monotube shocks on front. That will get you the best bang for your buck.:D

Also, welcome to the forum from Daytona Beach.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Look at the thread on Monroe Shocks for the rear. Progressive monotube shocks on front. That will get you the best bang for your buck.:D

Also, welcome to the forum from Daytona Beach.
Good advice. I am in the process of both. You will love this forum. But it might break the bank to if you are not carefully. Lots of good ideas:thumbup:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
700 Posts
Set of take-off Street Glide rear shocks will drop the rear an inch. HD front lowering kit drops the front an inch without too much expense. 08-10 Street Glide seat will also help lower you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Check out this site: http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/

They will rebuild your stock shocks so they sit an 1" lower or any distance you want for the price of buying used SG shocks and they will perform much better. I've read several posts where people who put SG shocks on a RGU are disappointed in the harsh ride. For the price this seems like a great deal. I'm going to have them do my shocks in the hear future as I agree with you that the RGU is hard to handle at slow speeds for us vertically challenged riders. :D

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
If money is a concern which it is for me too, you can always lower the back an inch or two by using lowering blocks. Some like them some hate them. I personally like them and used them without an issues at all. You can find them online for under $100. They bolt onto the swing arm where the bottom shock bolt goes into and the shock then bolts to the block in a slightly different position changing the angle of the shock. People dont like them because they say the angle changes the ride of the shock. Again i use them on my bike, yes they do change the angle slightly but i couldnt notice a ride difference and im 300+lbs and my gfriend is 118lbs. I had them on the bike for about 33k miles. I just took them off about a month ago to do the Monroe air shock mod that was mentioned previously.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If money is a concern which it is for me too, you can always lower the back an inch or two by using lowering blocks. Some like them some hate them. I personally like them and used them without an issues at all. You can find them online for under $100. They bolt onto the swing arm where the bottom shock bolt goes into and the shock then bolts to the block in a slightly different position changing the angle of the shock. People dont like them because they say the angle changes the ride of the shock. Again i use them on my bike, yes they do change the angle slightly but i couldnt notice a ride difference and im 300+lbs and my gfriend is 118lbs. I had them on the bike for about 33k miles. I just took them off about a month ago to do the Monroe air shock mod that was mentioned previously.
+1 On this! I've had lowering blocks on my Ultra for about 5,000 miles with no issues. Got them on this forum for $70 and definitely helped out with footing. I'm 5'10" with a 29" inseam (thank God for a long torso) and it got me to where I could put my feet on the ground. That would be the route I would go first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just completed the Progressive monotube -2 and the monroe air ride. Love the look and feel so far. Only rode it for a mile or so today. It's only 19 degrees here. I really think I am going to like it. Flat footed at stops. Just feels right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
IMHO Lower the seat not the bike. I am 5' 8" on a RGU and was not as flat footed with the RGU as my last skoot. I found I needed 1" more footing after a visit to the show room. I sat on a RGU in the show room and they put down different size fit mats. I was told to lower the seat and not change the travel length of the shocks. I got the seat lowered and tapered in a inch. Also bought new HD riding boots. Perfect flat foot in the seat without changing the ride. The roads in New England are not rider friendly and you need to plan where you stop to plant you foot down. One day you will find a 2" depression on the left side and over she goes in slow motion! :eek:

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
The roads in New England are not rider friendly and you need to plan where you stop to plant you foot down. One day you will find a 2" depression on the left side and over she goes in slow motion! :eek:
+1 on these new england roads. Dont ask how i know but it is in slow motion fo sho ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am the exact same height as you and have the exact inseam. I never felt comfortable on my Ultra until I lowered it. Almost dropped it on many occaisions.

I installed the HD lowered air shocks and sent my seat off to Mean City Cycles for modification.

Now I can flat foot my Ultra and am much happier when riding.

So far I feel no need to lower the front end.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here are the shocks I put on: Profile Low Touring Shocks - 54635-0

They were not enough to get my feet flat on the ground. The seat mod from Mean City Cycles completed the project.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Here are the shocks I put on: Profile Low Touring Shocks - 54635-0

They were not enough to get my feet flat on the ground. The seat mod from Mean City Cycles completed the project.
wear riding boots with 2" heels in sticky sole will add to the reach. Do you find your don't have enough shock travel and bottom out on the some of the unfriendly roads?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts