Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 RGC and I am a little vertically challenged, 5' 8". I typically ride solo 80% of the time, 2-up 20%. I weight about 230 lbs. and my wife about 150 lbs.

I have changed out the seat for a C&C Seat which dropped me down about an 1" but I am not quite flat-footed, especially on uneven pavement. I have been reading alot about the Progessive 940 shocks but not sure if I want to put up the coin for those right now. Are they really worth it?

What are my options for about a 1 - 2" drop? Can I get away with it just do it to the rear or should I do both front and rear to do it right?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Personally I would opt to send the seat to Mean City Cycles and ask them to drop the seating position some more and then look into boots with thicker soles. Unless its a ride improvement you are trying to achieve I am not a fan for lowering a bikes suspension.

I am 5'8" and 190 lbs. I had MCC drop my seating position by 1.5" and with the right boots on I can flatfoot my RGU (with or without passenger) which sits slightly taller than your RGC.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
The 940 will not drop you with the RGC, it will remain the same. You might want to drop the fron 1". What is your inseam, I'm also 5'8" and have no problem flat footing my bike, I have a 32" inseam.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I dont want to shave anymore from my seat because there wont be much left at the front of it. I am 5' 8" and have a 30" inseam, perhaps thats why I am still needing a little more drop. dbell, Will dropping the front give me more reach than dropping the rear? I am reluctant to make any changes to the sspension because I bought a touring bike for a reason and dont want to sacrifice the ride, I would rather enhance it if anything while giving me a little drop. Can both be done without sacrificing the other?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks guys. I dont want to shave anymore from my seat because there wont be much left at the front of it. I am 5' 8" and have a 30" inseam, perhaps thats why I am still needing a little more drop. dbell, Will dropping the front give me more reach than dropping the rear? I am reluctant to make any changes to the sspension because I bought a touring bike for a reason and dont want to sacrifice the ride, I would rather enhance it if anything while giving me a little drop. Can both be done without sacrificing the other?
I'm 5' 8" with a 30" inseam and I had MCC modify a seat from a 2008 RG and with my riding boots I am flat footed. If the seat can be trimmed down on the sides it may help to get you closer to flat footed. By trimming the sides this would let your feet go straight down instead of further out and down.

I feel the same as you, I don't want to sacrifice the ride as well however there are a lot of positive reviews with the Progressive Monotubes with a 1" drop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i got ya beat 5"5 had mcc do a super narrow and lowered it 1 inch in back and i cant tell the differance in handling .still not 100% flat footed but alot better then stock.i feel that i have control of the bike now.

·
Registered
233 Posts
is using the monotubes alot better than using the lowering springs? Ive already lowered the back 1" with lowering blocks, BTW they make it ride alittle stiffer. If I could find a seat to use i'd send mine to mcc. im 5'9" with 31" inseam.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
you can drop the rear 1" with lowering blocks. if youre on a budget, theyre under $100. some like them, some dont. ive had them on my bike for 20k+ miles without problems. if youre looking to drop it more than 1" then i would say go with the lower shocks are seat

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just lowered mine with Road 6 Customs lowering blocks in the rear for now. My winter mods budget ran short of replacing the shocks. I have read good things about them and I spoke with the owner on several occasions about my concerns with blocks. He's also building me a custom plate holder (another story).

I lowered the front 1 inch with Progressive monotubes as well. The bike handles like its on rails now and it's stance is nice. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have done the lowering blocks, a cheaper air system that change things by 2-3 inches but for ride they had a very small sweet spot where the shock worked ok. Then I went to the Arnott Aldans 11 way adjustable rebound as well as a good 3" of travel. I have these set up pretty well for me and my riding style, and it has a much bigger sweet spot as well, and on the fly ride highth changes. What actually helped me was the HD brand lowering seats, they have a low and a super low. I got them (HDHD) to put one on my bike and ride it aroud a bit. It moves u forward and down and it is narrower where your legs go down and that allows u to straighten your legs better as well.
I used the Low and it was plenty. I'm 5'9" and an inseam of 30". Weight is
160 lbs. I am more than just flatfooted, I'm almost off the seat. I am glad I have the Arnott system, it would also do the job, the 12" shocks will drop it almost to the point of rubbing the tire. I like having both, this way I can get the best ride quality from a regular to somewhat lowered position while being able to touch down flat w/ both feet. Bu this all wasn't cheeeep.. $1000+ for the shocks and compressor etc., $275 for the seat, $60 for the lowering blocks which really screwed the handling and the ride up! Best first choice would be the seat if I was doing it over!! And no blocks would have ever gone onto my bike, and those ended up in the recycle bin...:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
IMHO, just throw some Arlen Ness lowering links on it and call it a day...We install them all the time with no ill effects...If you jumped on a random bike that had them installed without knowing, you would not know they were there....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just lowered mine with Road 6 Customs lowering blocks in the rear for now. My winter mods budget ran short of replacing the shocks. I have read good things about them and I spoke with the owner on several occasions about my concerns with blocks. He's also building me a custom plate holder (another story).

I lowered the front 1 inch with Progressive monotubes as well. The bike handles like its on rails now and it's stance is nice. I couldn't be happier.
i lowered my front 1" with the harley kit then a couple months later i lowered the rear with these same road 6 lowering blocks. i am 215 and the wife is 145 lbs. with the shocks at 50 psi it rides just fine and at just $40 for the blocks it didnt hurt the wallet.

i lowered the bike not because i couldnt flatfoot but because i just like the look of a lowered bike.

my friend who is vertically challenged (sounds like you and him are about the same) couldnt flatfoot on his street glide then sat on my rgc and could. he started with the lowering blocks and it made a big difference alone but added the lowered front about a month later. now hes good.

with your lower seat already plus the lowering blocks, that may just be all you need.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The 940 will not drop you with the RGC, it will remain the same. You might want to drop the fron 1". What is your inseam, I'm also 5'8" and have no problem flat footing my bike, I have a 32" inseam.
I installed the 940's on my 2011 RGU last week they did drop it at least an inch. Did nothing you the front the bike sits great set up this way.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I installed the 940's on my 2011 RGU last week they did drop it at least an inch. Did nothing you the front the bike sits great set up this way.
Yes, but the RG Custom comes with 12" shocks on it from the factory, as opposed to the 13" shock on the RGU. The 940 shocks are effectively 12" so they do not lower the RGC.

Lower the rear first, I dropped the front of my RGU over 2" and found less form that than dropping the rear 1".
The Monotubes are worth the bucks because they also get rid of the horrible stock fork valving that causes the bike to try to dump you over the bars every time you grab the front brake. Changing just the springs leaves you with the same valving.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Fat Baggers has a 3" drop kit that lowers the frame and maintains a cushy seat. Its a sweet system but it is mucho pesos man :D

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
HD does make a lowering kit. I would check on it.

And yes the progressives will not lower you any on a RGC . Learn from my mistakes. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts