Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this area but since most of the bikes are newer, I'm having trouble finding info on how to go about upgrading the forks on my '03.
I've read that one leg has a spring and one leg a cartridge...
I've also read that THAT INFORMATION IS WRONG....

What DO I HAVE.... and what should I purchase to Lower (1 to 1 1/2") and at the same time, give me a better ride?

Most riding is in town but we (My GF and I. But she has her own SG) do take trips to Daytona a few times a year.
99.9% I'm solo riding and my only passenger when not solo is my 11 year old Son.

Also... Is it true that I can't just load the springs in from the top like most of the you tube videos I"ve seen? I've NEVER SEEN them do it to a RG...

Jay

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Monotubes are a great upgrade to the front suspension. I haven't done them yet but plan on it soon.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I've searched this area but since most of the bikes are newer, I'm having trouble finding info on how to go about upgrading the forks on my '03.
I've read that one leg has a spring and one leg a cartridge...
I've also read that THAT INFORMATION IS WRONG....

What DO I HAVE.... and what should I purchase to Lower (1 to 1 1/2") and at the same time, give me a better ride?

Most riding is in town but we (My GF and I. But she has her own SG) do take trips to Daytona a few times a year.
99.9% I'm solo riding and my only passenger when not solo is my 11 year old Son.

Also... Is it true that I can't just load the springs in from the top like most of the you tube videos I"ve seen? I've NEVER SEEN them do it to a RG...

Jay
It is my understanding that the 03's had one front cartridge fork and one spring fork. You could lower with drop in springs, ($84.95) or with monotube cartridges(around $300-$400). I believe both come with the parts you would need for your older style suspension. Monotubes are a little more involved than drop in springs. Heavier fork oil is another option with new lowering springs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Go with the -2 mono tubes up front and you wont be disappointed...It'll ride like a sports car without the harshness.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Monotubes, whatever is in there now gets dumped out and replaced with the Monotube cartridge and works MUCH better than anything you can do with the factory parts.
They run about $300 plus install.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
In general lowering the bike will not improve the ride quality of your bike, anytime you lose 1 to 1 1/2 inch of suspension travel the ride quality will suffer.
Progressive Suspension Monotubes are available for touring model FLT bikes model year 1997 to 2013 and you should contact Progressive Suspension to verify fitment.
Even if you do lower your bike the monotubes will be an improvement in ride quality over your worn out 2003 suspension that is if you still have the stock springs in the forks.
If you look around you can find the monotubes for $250 to $300, new springs will be around $125.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the bike from the original owner with 26+k miles on it.
I know he didn't change anything in the front end..
So
From the sounds of what you guys describe, I'm going to be looking into monotubes...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that limiting the amount of travel I have increases the chances of bottoming out on bumps..
But my question is this...
Comparing apples to apples..
Same valving, dampening, oil weights, spring compression..
(based on what route I take)
If two suspensions are identical (other than the distance of travel they offer) but, under the range of motion that each one has
under the travel that THEY DO OFFER... wouldn't the ride be the same? Dampening and rebound?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
As long as you are in the range in travel the ride should be good. The problem would be bottoming out more often. Also if you lower the front you may want to lower the rear to level the bike some. Ground clearance and lean angle become issues with a lowered bike. JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts