Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am thinking about lowering my 08'. What are your thoughts? Who has done this and how did it affect the ride? I ride 2-up about 30% of the time. I was thinking a 2" drop.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
The biggest thing IMO would be clearance between the fender and tire. Dont know how much you or your passenger weigh but that should be taken into consideration. I went with a set of 1" lowering blocks for about $80 cuz its cheaper than shorter shocks. I believe there are blocks out there that will lower it more but the shock angle is going to be greater. The shock angle with the blocks i used was changed a lil bit but i never really noticed a ride difference. Ive had them on the bike for about 20k miles without any issues at all and im 300lbs and the gf is about 118lbs. I never did anything to the front and dont intend to at this time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I dropped the rear of my 08 with blocks 1.5" a coiple weeks ago. I used blocks to test different ride heights as I plan on having BitchinBaggers cut my shocks down eventually. This way I know exactly how low I want. I scrap floorboards all the time now and the kickstand too. Doesn't bother me at all...actually makes me smile every time I hear the sound! Be careful too of the rear tire rubbing the top inside of the fender. I've heard from some people that sometimes it will contact the wiring for the rear lights and rip the wires apart. I havent had this happen....but just be aware.

Have fun and send pics once you do it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had my Heritage lowered 2", looked cool, but got uncomfortable on longer rides. I scrape my kickstand and floorboards a lot on my RG, which is still at stock height. I'm 5'8, and have no issues reaching the ground.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Having lowered my previous bagger(a '92 FLHS), I will never do it again. They already have precious little suspension travel, and no matter what people say or percieve, it pretty much has to compromise the ride. If the shocks/forks are shorter, there's only one way to keep from bottoming out.....stiffer springs/harsher ride. Espescially if you ride two up, and/or ride agressively at times(I do both). If you just like the lower look, and who doesn't, be aware there is no free lunch. If you need to sit lower to the ground to be more flat footed, maybe consider the various seats that are cut lower? Just my opinion.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Having lowered my previous bagger(a '92 FLHS), I will never do it again. They already have precious little suspension travel, and no matter what people say or percieve, it pretty much has to compromise the ride. If the shocks/forks are shorter, there's only one way to keep from bottoming out.....stiffer springs/harsher ride. Espescially if you ride two up, and/or ride agressively at times(I do both). If you just like the lower look, and who doesn't, be aware there is no free lunch. If you need to sit lower to the ground to be more flat footed, maybe consider the various seats that are cut lower? Just my opinion.

Jeff
Well said, Jeff. I agree 100%.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I just sent my shocks to Ron @ bitchin baggers yesterday. I've never been a fan of lowering blocks they have always scared me. I am 5'6 bout 190, my wife is about 100 lbs. She's very seldomly rides so I chose to go with the 2 inch drop. I thought about only cutting the seat down but figured it wouldn't give me as much as I need considering I'm going with the 23x18 set up and I wasn't exactly flat-footed with the stock set up in the first place.

If bitchin baggers is the route you want to go, I suggest calling Ron. He's super helpful and knowledgeable and he won't try to sale something you don't need or won't like

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wanted to add that IMO, if one is dead set on lowering their scoot, that for the rear end, using the highest quality possible, shorter rear shocks, would be the way to go. As opposed to kicking the shocks back with blocks. I suspect that the engineers at the MoCo, most likely have the shocks at the angle they are at, for a good reason. And for the front, use either cartridge inserts, or a damper tube modified with a Gold Valve style emulator, to get rid of as much dive as possible, and preserve what little travel is left in your forks.

Jeff

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I went with shorter shocks also, in order not to worry about wheel rub, my rear shocks are 11-1/2 inch and I have the progressive monotube -2" up front, solo I never have a problem which is how I ride 99% of the time, if I ride somebody over 150lbs, it tends to bottom on big bumps, but nothing extreme, BTW I'm 5'8" and 200lbs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2" drop in the rear using blocks. 2" drop in,the front using progressive mono tubes and the ride is great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,879 Posts
Arnott Aldin air ride in the rear and Progressive monotubes 2 in drop in the front for both my bike and Frankies RK....no complaints about either. We dont however ride 2 up on these bikes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
2" drop in the rear using blocks. 2" drop in,the front using progressive mono tubes and the ride is great.
I am curious too if you do any 2-up riding and also what blocks you used. I ordered the monotubes already but not sure I can swing shocks right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i do ride 2 up, i just put more air in the rear when i do. cant remember what blocks i used. i weigh 190 and my friend is 125.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks craigV! I think I am going to try the Road 6 Customs blocks. I have read a good bit of positive reviews from HDForums about them. I weigh more than you and my wife weights a little more than 125 so I will either try more air OR I will just run the blocks in the 1" lower position.

If it works, great! If not I guess I will have to break down and buy shocks

·
Registered
614 Posts
Why ruin the handling?

Ill admit it looks good lower but all you'll do is scrape in corners.

If your set on lowering it I would not go any lower than the 12" shocks that a Custom (FLTRX) or a SG come with. Ive already ground off the edges of my floorboards in less than 8000 miles.

I guess if its more for looks than to ride drop it as much as possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts