Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I had a question for you...for those of you who actually have hard lowers on your crash bars:

1. Does this make a huge difference in riding?
2. From a looks standpoint - better or worse than no lowers on a CVO RGC?
3. I have the Screamin Eagle heavy Breather that I would have to switch out - most likely with a Roland Sands air filter in order to make the fit work with the lowers. Seems like a lot of work and $$$...

Is it worth switching? I have the HD Cloth lowers that I can add and it is much less expensive - however the painted Emerald Green lowers would be a nice addition to the bike. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have the hard lowers and I was disappointed when the temps dropped. They don't really stop much of the cold air . . . As far as looks good, I would put the painted hard lowers on before I would go with cloth, but isn't that a riders choice. Honestly, if you match the paint, they will look like they belong??

It's your bike, you can't go wrong! :cool:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes they do make a difference because they block alot of the wind.
I personally think they look good on the RG.
I dont like the looks enough to leave them on year round. Mine come off
from May till October.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Lowers are worth it to me ... makes a pretty big difference in buffeting, not to mention the benefits when riding in colder temps. Looks-wise, I like the looks from the side but not so much from a head-on front view - to me they look kinda dorky from the front. If they didn't function so well and I was a form-only guy, I'd pull them off along with the crash bar. But then I'd really miss my highway pegs and lowers on those 800+ mile days.

I'm leaving them on all year now but then I don't have a CVO with the heavy breather. Why not give the soft lowers a try for a while and then decide?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
As far as looks go thats a personal choice. I like the looks either way as I used to use the hidden fairing brackets and no engine guard. Made the bike look slim. Decided that I was doing too much riding not to use the lowers and I have to say they made a huge difference in my comfort level this winter. I used to wear chaps for temps below 50 but just the other day I left for work and it was 38 degrees and no chaps. I was fine but granted I was a little cool, but not uncomfortable, and the ride was only 25 minutes but I could have never done that without the lowers. The only thing that would keep me off the road is ice or a hurricane so the lowers were well worth the investment. And as far as the looks... I think they look great if they are color matched.

Just an add on: The lowers do NOT block all the air from hitting your legs so you will feel wind. The difference is that it is a light breeze compared to a 70mph blast hitting you. It also eliminates the updraft from the bottom of the fairing. My buddy complained when he bought his lowers that they didn't block all the air. I told him to go buy a Goldwing if that's what he was looking for. You need airflow to keep the engine cool so you will feel some wind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im running the factory lowers on my RGC. I had them painted to match including the pinstriping! They work with the heavy breather, I found many filters that will fit on the end of the Heavy Breather that are shorter and larger around. The filter just clamps on to a 3" dia. tubing, like many other filters.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
here is another couple of views of lowers added to my RGC. I like the look now and I think they help push air in at the engine, and since it is air cooled, any air blowing on the motor can't hurt it...

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I guess looks are personal, I love how they look. I bougt mine with quick release, had only planned to use them on long trips. Long story short, eneded up putting speakers in them, and found I actually like how the bike looks with them, not to mention how well they work in the rain and stop the wind from making my pants beat my legs. :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I need hard lowers bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to put some speakers in them. In all seriousness, I just have the soft lowers and they made a huge difference for me in temps. Now my toes don't get so cold and block a lot of wind that would normally hit my feet and shins. I still have a slight breeze on my knees :D pun intended.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just bought a set from Matazu's eBay ad for $285 shipped. Everyone said they were great, so I took the chance.

Sent from my N861 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I just bought a set from Matazu's eBay ad for $285 shipped. Everyone said they were great, so I took the chance.

Let us know how you like them once you get'em. I'm thinking about ordering a set to and painting them myself. Save me a ton of money for sure.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sure will. Should be here Thursday.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Hey Guys,

1. Does this make a huge difference in riding?
2. From a looks standpoint - better or worse than no lowers on a CVO RGC?
3. I have the Screamin Eagle heavy Breather that I would have to switch out - most likely with a Roland Sands air filter in order to make the fit work with the lowers. Seems like a lot of work and $$$...
!
1. HUGE, yes
2. Better
3. Don't have the heavy breather, so no opinion.
4. Not covered in your questions.... the engine runs a little cooler, because the lowers channel air into the engine. EDIT: You can't run soft lowers when the temperature gets warm.

Form AND function

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I like both the look, and the function. However, I will say that if you buy anything OTHER than the vented lowers you more than more than likely not be happy.
My bike came with the non-vented lowers and they trap A LOT of heat. I installed aftermarket vents, and that helped a little, but I have noticed that the way they mount, they direct the air flow a little higher, and "the boys" get a little warm.
Mine will be coming off for the trip to SWIII. Too hot that time of year in that part of the country to have lowers adding to it.
They also help with the buffeting.

Rowdy

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
1. Does this make a huge difference in riding? YES!!! but soft lowers work just about as well. Just dont look as good, imo
2. From a looks standpoint - better or worse than no lowers on a CVO RGC? I dont think i have seen hard lowers yet on a CVO RGC. I like the looks better with them on my RGC, and leave them on all year round.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
my bike came with the vented lowers.I never take them off,and when I ride in the rain,I get just 2 small wet spots on my lower legs.I've ridden home at night in 20 something degree temps,and haven't had a need for my chaps yet.

I'm running the tuned induction,which needs way more room then any SE a/c,I trimmed the glove box a bit for clearance,but if I leave it off,I have plenty of room.OFC,that negates the possibility of lower speakers,but I figure if I want a second set that bad,I'll put them in the inner fairing.

In the hotter weather,I leave the vents open,but my feet are usually on the highway pegs anyway,so plenty cool.

as far as looks go,I don't think my bike would look right without them.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I added them to my bike and thought Id only use them in the cooler months but they also help a lot with overall buffeting so they stay on most of the time for me.

I like the look

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
1. HUGE, yes
2. Better
3. Don't have the heavy breather, so no opinion.
4. Not covered in your questions.... the engine runs a little cooler, because the lowers channel air into the engine. EDIT: You can't run soft lowers when the temperature gets warm.

Form AND function

'Am in process of putting vented lowers on the '09 SERG, mostly because I want to put 7.25 Rokkers in them, and to improve the aero, and comfort, I also like the looks.

The vented lowers came on my '05 SEEG, 'never thought about taking them off, winter or summer, always leave the vents closed, no matter what part of the country I am in.

PGR; creed told me to contact you about the vented lowers, he said that you were very helpful to him putting the vented lowers on without changing the brackets on the pre '10 bikes. I tried to pm you a few days ago but the pm would not go through. I really don't want to change the brackets if I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
MY RG seemed to handle better and lots less wind with the lowers ~ I live in FL and leave them on year round for rain & cool temps. The first mod I made and a huge improvement in my book.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts