Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the services on my 04 Road Glide. I found the grease fitting on the steering head but there is no way to fit the grease plug to the fitting because the way the fairing is mounted. Do I need to loosen up the fairing and push it aside to make room for the grease plug? I can tell Harley certified techs did not ever grease this fitting in years past.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Well, if you really feel the need to grease it, then a 90 degree cupler is all that's needed. That and a tube of steering head grease. Maybe a handi wipe dispenser to attach to the scooter.

https://locknlube.com/products/push-on-90-grease-coupler

Seriously, the only way to get grease to the bearings is to fill the whole steering head with grease. And said grease will break down with age and forever be leaking out. Just packing the bearings with grease when they are installed is enough to last 30 years or more.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Change fitting to a 45 degree or buy a 45 degree adapter for gun . My gun has a hose instead of shaft,no problem greasing neck fitting.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I had always used a flex hose on my grease gun and it worked just fine. But like Therm said you have to fill the whole neck with grease to get any to both bearings and it will leak on a regular basis after you do that.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I use a flex hose on my grease gun. Works great. Like already mentioned though, if you fill it with grease it will drip out over time. I grease it every few years just because. I put just a pump or two in the neck and I never had any dripping issues

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I usually do about 6 pumps every service give or take one or two and dont have leaks , and I also use a angle fitting makes it a lot easier, also I use Lucas red and tacky grease only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts