Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I had to pull up my own post because I miss my bike. At least the weather is awful (Texas Summer) and I'm not missing out on great riding.

On 04 May I was in putting out of my neighborhood when a USPS mail truck ran a stop sign and hit me broadside-ish. This happened 2 days after I got my 124 build done at GMR. Sigh.

Well, the bike is currently sitting at Texas Harley and parts have been ordered to get her fixed. I was biting my nails they were going to total the bike - I was thinking saving the engine (that has like 100 miles on the top end) would be better. I hope I'm right.

If you're wondering about damage - $20k worth. That includes frame replacement. This, from an accident that occurred at ~ 15mph to 20mph. I'm stunned. The dummy did push and spin the bike...

Except for a few things - the bike was basically "done". I'm having 14'' Factory 47 handlebars put on and I'm switching from a full engine guard to a chopped. They are also going to put on an extended brake pedal.

Timing? I'm hoping for august. Another big sigh.

I hope everyone is starting off summer well!

NOTE: I asked what was causing the parts supply issue and the Service Writer said " we're waiting on overseas parts". To which I replied, "well - if you f***ers made the stuff here you might not have that problem." I said it with a smile and he laughed. I get why, it's not his fault and I understand why HD does it.

BUT - "assembled" in America is not really the same as "made in America".

Of course these bikes would retail for $10k more each if they were fully made here....that still might feel better.

Rant over. Appreciate this gang very much!

·
Registered
2020 RGS River Rock Gray
806 Posts
Wow, that really sucks man, I have spent the past 7 months doing many of the same upgrades as you have done except I haven't pulled the trigger on the big $$ items (shocks & Engine upgrade) and to be without it would drive me nuts as well. Glad you are ok though. That is really the most important part!
NOTE: I asked what was causing the parts supply issue and the Service Writer said " we're waiting on overseas parts". To which I replied, "well - if you f***ers made the stuff here you might not have that problem." I said it with a smile and he laughed. I get why, it's not his fault and I understand why HD does it.
Well, even if they were BUILT here. They would probably still be out of the natural resources to produce any products. Plus many "Made in America" parts still have to get resources from elsewhere. I was lucky to get my chopped engine guard before they disappeared. I have been waiting over 2 months for some floor boards...

·
Registered
2022 RGStandard Sandy
66 Posts
Great Read thanks for sharing your thoughts and your updates
Good luck to you and your bike soon your knuckles will be back In the air..
Hook from the Mountains of Central Pennsylvania

·
Registered
'22 RG ST
157 Posts
Well, I had to pull up my own post because I miss my bike. At least the weather is awful (Texas Summer) and I'm not missing out on great riding.

On 04 May I was in putting out of my neighborhood when a USPS mail truck ran a stop sign and hit me broadside-ish. This happened 2 days after I got my 124 build done at GMR. Sigh.

Well, the bike is currently sitting at Texas Harley and parts have been ordered to get her fixed. I was biting my nails they were going to total the bike - I was thinking saving the engine (that has like 100 miles on the top end) would be better. I hope I'm right.

If you're wondering about damage - $20k worth. That includes frame replacement. This, from an accident that occurred at ~ 15mph to 20mph. I'm stunned. The dummy did push and spin the bike...

Except for a few things - the bike was basically "done". I'm having 14'' Factory 47 handlebars put on and I'm switching from a full engine guard to a chopped. They are also going to put on an extended brake pedal.

Timing? I'm hoping for august. Another big sigh.

I hope everyone is starting off summer well!

BUT - "assembled" in America is not really the same as "made in America".

Of course these bikes would retail for $10k more each if they were fully made here....that still might feel better.

Rant over. Appreciate this gang very much!

That sucks.
I hope it gets back together and rideable soon enough.

BTW, that dyno sheet looks fun.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@StoneTrekker thanks for the message! I called today to get a progress report and they are still waiting on a fair few items....but, at least progress is being made.

Since the bike is there (and, these items needed to be replaced anyway) - I am getting 3 new items added:

1) chopped engine guard - I really like the look.
2) 14'' Factory 47 bars
3) extended brake pedal

These are all things I wanted to do anyway - so, I GUESS you could call it a silver lining?
I'm finding good service harder and harder to come by - so - shout out to Texas Harley (Bedford, Texas) - they've been good to work with so far. I hope their work quality matches the level of customer service I've received thus far.

Here are a couple of pics to show some of the damage - mind you this was a broadside accident in my neighborhood....my speed was prob about 15mph:

engine guard pushed into the gas tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Engine guard pushed into brake pedal, which pushed into the head pipe and my arlen ness air cleaner.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Left side bag - notice the bottom of the bag is scrubbed to black too
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

Fairing damage....both, of course.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Hood Motor vehicle

Rear Fender - she pushed and rotated the bike (I had jumped off)
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

there are a bunch of other scratches and damages - those pics aren't that interesting.

What's making this bearable is the 102 degree days we're having in Texas. I have no desire to ride.

I am wondering a bit about improving my visibility - both seeing and being seen.

I did the driving lights to turn signal upgrade before the accident - but, I think I would like to do more. Does anyone have forward lights on their rear bag protector bars? Or other ideas on how to improve visibility? Would love to see some pics of this done well. (FWIW, the driving light upgrade alone was hugely noticeable at night)

Attachments

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,790 Posts
If you want lights to be seen and also light up the road well, consider getting a set of Clearwater Darla that mount on your front fender. They are designed to stay on all the time, you adjust the brightness to the level you want, and when you hit the high beams or horn, they go full brightness. I added them over the winter and I didn't want them on all the time, so I ran them through my Aux switch. Not cheap, but good quality isn't usually.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,220 Posts
First as I posted when this first happened I am glad you are safe.I also posted that I hope they total the bike.Any insurance Co. worth its weight has a full replacement for the first two years.I do not understand why it is being repaired by a dealership. This post should be “waiting for parts for my new bike.”I like and trust the HD dealers I have done business in the past much to the chagrin of fellow sharks. For me personally once the frame needs to be replaced the insurance companies total the bike. Period.I would fight for a new bike, file a lawsuit against Brown for damages to cover the upgrades you want and move on. I personally would never feel comfortable riding a dealer built bike.Unless the MOCO and your insurance carrier sent in reps to certify it.
Go to the insurance thread there is an Agent / friend of mine Jim Palmer he is the best at bike coverage.He has been my go to for 17 years He offers a plan that we own that provides total replacement coverage as long as you own the bike.It is not cheap none of this is.
Your end statement 2nd paragraph “ I hope I’m right.” That voice in your head is telling you something ! Good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well - I have the bike back....but, too early to declare victory.

First - the saddlebags did not come in as expected, so I took the bike home with the old saddlebags. By itself, that would require another trip to the dealer.

Second - the dealer did not install the ignition switch properly, and it popped out on Sunday leaving me unable to unlock the forks and stranded 1.5 hours from home. Of course it was Sunday....so, no help from any HD dealers. My confidence in the dealer's work product is low.

Lastly, and perhaps most irritating is they did not credit me the parts differential for insurance work AND charged me for the labor, which would have been required without the parts upgrades. I will be calling this morning to rectify - but, I had to be home in front of the detailed insurance estimate in order to properly evaluate.

I'm sure I'm not delivering any "revalations" - but, it is unlikely I will be back. I have an independent guy locally who did my engine build - he's been awesome.

I'll provide some updates after my phone call and post a few pictures of the chopped engine guard and the new Factory 47 handlebars. Though - you've seen both of those things before :)

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS Scorched Orange/Silver Flux
206 Posts
Well - I have the bike back....but, too early to declare victory.

First - the saddlebags did not come in as expected, so I took the bike home with the old saddlebags. By itself, that would require another trip to the dealer.

Second - the dealer did not install the ignition switch properly, and it popped out on Sunday leaving me unable to unlock the forks and stranded 1.5 hours from home. Of course it was Sunday....so, no help from any HD dealers. My confidence in the dealer's work product is low.

Lastly, and perhaps most irritating is they did not credit me the parts differential for insurance work AND charged me for the labor, which would have been required without the parts upgrades. I will be calling this morning to rectify - but, I had to be home in front of the detailed insurance estimate in order to properly evaluate.

I'm sure I'm not delivering any "revalations" - but, it is unlikely I will be back. I have an independent guy locally who did my engine build - he's been awesome.

I'll provide some updates after my phone call and post a few pictures of the chopped engine guard and the new Factory 47 handlebars. Though - you've seen both of those things before :)
That's an Adam Smith dealership. My experience with them is they will deal fairly well on a new bike purchase but their service dept is about as bad as they come. Texoma HD in Sherman is the one I have dealt with. He has about 6 or 8 dealerships spread out around north Texas.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts