Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the same problem with my Dyna, so I switched back to Chinese pads. Figured I'd give it another shot because of all the rage.

Any ideas how to get rid of the Lyndall squeal?

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Mine went away on its own after a few thousand miles. Did you use brake grease?

·
Registered
8,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I fixed mine by taking them off and throwing them in the trash. Mine squeaked from day one no matter what I tried it didn't work. I replaced them with EBC for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I can give it a shot and let it roll. See what happens. I rebuilt the calipers when I installed the new pads. So it's not that. Lever feel is much firmer after rebuild though.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Take the pads out and use fine sandpaper to clean the brake pad friction surface, not the rotor. When you re-install them use the brake silicone on the backs of the pads and on the pins along with where the pads contact the caliper. Just use a light coating of the brake silicone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as I hate crap made by Hop Sing, I've had great luck with Chinese pads. Three sets for 30 bucks. No sqeaul, stop great, and last.

Thanks rlaf75 I'll give it a shot!

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Permatex synthetic disc brake lube is what I use.
Rear brake squeal is a common problem that is why HD replacement rear brake pads kits comes with disc brake lube.
I used brake pads from D2moto with good luck but I still used brake lube on the rear brake pads.
The brake lube can dry out over time and the rear brakes may start to squeak again so just pull and clean the pads and re-apply brake lube.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
So you rebuilt the cals, you know the mechanic's and the short travel to contact with the rotor, the newer Lyndall pads have a heavy coating on back I've had to grind/file some for fit, fine lube the pins (teflon nevrsize is what i've used very sparlinly), ebc are IMO (non-organic) are harder on the rotor and keeps it clean..damn good pads.....clean the rotor by wiping on brake cleaner use fine scotch-brite/00 steelwool back and forth (not circles or round round), solvent clean again....Disclaimer iam not the one one doing yours

·
Registered
108 Posts
I noticed that the Lyndall pads were thicker too.

I installed the Xtreme series all the way around on my bike this weekend, rode 150 miles yesterday and no squeaking problems so far.

I also replaced the front rotors with new HD floaters and the stock rotor is still on the back. Breaking definitely improved over stock pads, even if I have to replace them sooner it's worth it to me for the added stopping power and safety.

FYI, I also used disc break grease not synthetic grease on all of the pads including the front ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts