Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barring adverse events, I’m planning to find a used 2017+ Road Glide Special to buy this winter, with the goal of upgrading/replacing the engine with a big bore kit or crate engine. I’m seeking input/experience regarding options for big bore upgrades. Does anyone on here have experience with HD 131, S&S, Zippers, etc? What are the pros/cons of the various options? Crate or upgrade the used engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
First you have to decide. Torque or HP or a blend of both. You can not have it all . But you can get darn close.
Exhuast and cam plays a big part.
With an idea of where you want to be when it is do you can browse Fuel moto's DYNO sheets.
Then have a talk with them at no cost with no up sell BS.
HD's 131 build is not that big a pay off it gets smoked by smaller builds done right.

Reactions: Vinnie and NORSEMAN

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I installed the FM 128 kit and totally happy with it. Just turned 5k flawless miles so far. Talked to them a few times on exhaust options. Plenty of options out there but I’d stay far away from the HD 131 stuff.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the FM 128 kit and totally happy with it. Just turned 5k flawless miles so far. Talked to them a few times on exhaust options. Plenty of options out there but I’d stay far away from the HD 131 stuff.
I used FM for a pre-loaded tuner, and it was a great experience. Jamie was a super good guy to work with. I’ll definitely look into their offerings.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First you have to decide. Torque or HP or a blend of both. You can not have it all . But you can get darn close.
Exhuast and cam plays a big part.
With an idea of where you want to be when it is do you can browse Fuel moto's DYNO sheets.
Then have a talk with them at no cost with no up sell BS.
HD's 131 build is not that big a pay off it gets smoked by smaller builds done right.
I want it all! I’ll definitely look over FM’s offerings. I had a good experience with them previously. My first successful fuel injection tuning! I like the curve on the 128 I’m riding - seems like a good compromise for my riding preferences.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I want it all! I’ll definitely look over FM’s offerings. I had a good experience with them previously. My first successful fuel injection tuning! I like the curve on the 128 I’m riding - seems like a good compromise for my riding preferences.

SE 131 is just at primary cover for bragging rights . It is no power house. Nor is it all that reliable .
Sadly HD builds this stuff to sit in a show off room. A good build for someone like FM will hold up better and out perform the SE.
Remember the 120R HD offered . Went no where fro good reason.

Reactions: Vinnie and Bbq guy

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,231 Posts
I would shop around and have a motor built vs a kit bolted on. Darkhorse is known for their cranks and bomb proof bottom ends.The Hobain brothers do big in builds and have been a success for many years.http://www.hobanbrothers.com/
Good Luck
I was a Darkhorse customer on a vtwin build I did several years ago really great ! my current 2020 RGS stage 2 is all I need.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,231 Posts
SE 131 is just at primary cover for bragging rights . It is no power house. Nor is it all that reliable .
Sadly HD builds this stuff to sit in a show off room. A good build for someone like FM will hold up better and out perform the SE.
Remember the 120R HD offered . Went no where fro good reason.
Smitty thanks for the memory I remember when the 120 S came out I was all excited called John at Dark Horse asked his opinion he said yeah nice engine once we’re done with them I said what do you mean he said the crank pin issue is on the 120 S the same as the 96 he said I have them all over my floor here.I sent the number matching 96” to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts