Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m saving up my overtime $$ and going to swap my cam on my Roadglide. My first choice so far is the S&S 475. Does anyone have experience with this cam on their M8? My second choice is the Woods 22X. I checked out Fuel Motos website and their reviews on the M8 cam choices. I want to hear other people’s experience with these cams.
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
141 Posts
mwattpusher, lots of info available on cams on here. You may want to go to forums>road glide specific>engine related>and then search for cam or cam upgrade, or stage II, or search for the specific cams you’re interested in. I went with a different cam, so can’t answer your post directly. Some of the reprobates on this forum place a value on people searching for answers when they do a search first. The forum gets a ton of “which cam” questions that have been addressed many times. Free advice. Worth what you pay for it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm running the 475 and love it. It has the best lope at idle and it keeps pulling until the rev limiter. The only other cam I would consider is the Redshift 468.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running the 475 and love it. It has the best lope at idle and it keeps pulling until the rev limiter. The only other cam I would consider is the Redshift 468.
. Thanks for your input. Did you have your plastic tappet cuffs replaced with the S&S billet ones?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. Thanks for your input. Did you have your plastic tappet cuffs replaced with the S&S billet ones?
I was wondering if that’s a requirement, I imagine it would be if I we’re going with a higher lift cam

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes I replaced them with the S&S billet ones. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I replaced them with the S&S billet ones. Cheap insurance.
Ok, might as well since I’ll be in there.... this will be my first cam swap, I’m a little nervous. But I’m feeling pretty confident it’ll go smoothly. I’ve got 600 miles on my bike. Fuel Moto is running a sweet Black Friday sale and I can save some $$ ordering the cam, lifters, EZ pushrods and cuffs. I’ll buy the cam puller and installer too. Did you have to add or reduce spacers to get your cam endplay within specs ? Also when you installed your new cam bearing did you have any troubles getting it into proper depth?
Thanks again for any advice/input

·
Registered
575 Posts
Did not need any spacers for end play. Got the cam bearing close to where the original was, if you buy your cam bearing tool from Fuel Moto you shouldn't have any problems. I got a cheaper tool as I don't plan to make a hobby of changing cams. LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not need any spacers for end play. Got the cam bearing close to where the original was, if you buy your cam bearing tool from Fuel Moto you shouldn't have any problems. I got a cheaper tool as I don't plan to make a hobby of changing cams. LOL
Lol ?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Did you have to add or reduce spacers to get your cam endplay within specs ?
The spacer is not for end play. Using the proper spacer is to get the two sprockets aligned as perfectly as possible. You may be lucky in that he original spacer will be the one but it is NOT a guarantee. Get manual and follow the steps to check the sprocket alignment during the installation. It's a critical step for longevity.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to add or reduce spacers to get your cam endplay within specs ?
The spacer is not for end play. Using the proper spacer is to get the two sprockets aligned as perfectly as possible. You may be lucky in that he original spacer will be the one but it is NOT a guarantee. Get manual and follow the steps to check the sprocket alignment during the installation. It's a critical step for longevity.
thanks- I just watched a tutorial on a M8 cam swap. The dude just explained what you described what the spacer is used for. Thanks and happy holidays

·
Registered
6 Posts
what would be the cause of the difference? I'm replacing my cam and the spacer needs to be changed. Doesn't make sense to me, since the cam and crank tighten against the cam plate. Obviously I'm not a mechanic, but not scared either....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts