Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get yalls thoughts on this one... I have an 18RGS - I am on my 4th set of headers (yeah, I know) - anyway - my latest set is a set of M8 Billet Cat 2/1 from D&D. When I went to install the headers (using their supplied boarzilla gaskets) I do not have enough threads on the exhaust studs to thread the nut.

I wrestled with it all weekend, tried different gaskets, different flange nuts, etc etc.. and just couldn't get them installed. Previous headers have installed fine..

I called D&D this am and the tech I talked to said it was an issue with the M8's (shorter studs since they don't have threads all the way to the end) and to just back out my exhaust studs a bit? I am a bit leary of snapping the exhaust stud while doing this.. just seems like it has the potential to cause more issues... Great pipe, fit and finish is awesome, just don't want to jack something else up.

I haven't seen many threads on installs of the billet cat, so figured I'd ask before I dive into it.. thoughts?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don’t know that I would back the studs out and call that a good idea. I would almost rather get some twin cam exhaust studs and see if those will thread in and give you the couple extra threads you need.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I hate to state the obvious but how about if for $1500-$2k D&D steps up and gives you a pipe that fits.

I'm really dissapointed to hear about this because I was seriously thinking about getting the D&D Billett cat for my next pipe even with the staggering price tag. It sounds like I may have to reconsider.

Sorry OP, not trying to be that guy but they owe you a pipe that fits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah don’t disagree, I only talked to a tech guy today, will call them back tomorrow and see if I can talk to sales, etc. They are doing a great discount for military in November so I want to give them a fair shot to make it right.

I don’t like messin with exhaust studs, I can fix most stuff I break but the possibility of having to drill and tap a broken stud on an 18 just doesn’t sit well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wanted to get yalls thoughts on this one... I have an 18RGS - I am on my 4th set of headers (yeah, I know) - anyway - my latest set is a set of M8 Billet Cat 2/1 from D&D. When I went to install the headers (using their supplied boarzilla gaskets) I do not have enough threads on the exhaust studs to thread the nut.

I wrestled with it all weekend, tried different gaskets, different flange nuts, etc etc.. and just couldn't get them installed. Previous headers have installed fine..

I called D&D this am and the tech I talked to said it was an issue with the M8's (shorter studs since they don't have threads all the way to the end) and to just back out my exhaust studs a bit? I am a bit leary of snapping the exhaust stud while doing this.. just seems like it has the potential to cause more issues... Great pipe, fit and finish is awesome, just don't want to jack something else up.

I haven't seen many threads on installs of the billet cat, so figured I'd ask before I dive into it.. thoughts?
Give Daren a call at Shefer performance 812-401-8863 he's put that pipe on a lot of M-8s maybe he can help you out he's a good guy to talk to

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give Daren a call at Shefer performance 812-401-8863 he's put that pipe on a lot of M-8s maybe he can help you out he's a good guy to talk to
Thanks Glide - Daren is a good dude! I talked to him about the issue, said he sees it alot on the M8's and he actually prefers to back the studs out.

In case anyone comes across this. His instructions were to back them out to about 4 threads showing on the head side, using a 7/32 socket. Which makes sense as I only have two showing and while I can start the nut, it can't grab the threads enough.

I'll be back to curse and yell if I snap one off...

·
Registered
299 Posts
hmm, seriously wanted this same pipe, not now if they cant make it fit for the price, glad you posted this. Ill shop for something else, unless they have a better fix

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So update on this one, got home, put a heat gun on the studs for a few secs and took them out to the length that Daren suggested. The process took about 10 minutes and once done the pipes installed pretty easily.

I guess all in all, if I would have known how to handle this would it would of gone better and one of the simpler headpipes I have done.

Special thanks to Glide08 on the suggestion to call Daren at Shefer performance, as well as the community that chimed in - thank you very much

Hession

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
So update on this one, got home, put a heat gun on the studs for a few secs and took them out to the length that Daren suggested. The process took about 10 minutes and once done the pipes installed pretty easily.

I guess all in all, if I would have known how to handle this would it would of gone better and one of the simpler headpipes I have done.

Special thanks to Glide08 on the suggestion to call Daren at Shefer performance, as well as the community that chimed in - thank you very much

Hession
I just started reading this thread and as I started reading all the hate on D&D I was scratching my head a little as backing the studs out a few threads isn't really that big of a deal. But after thinking about it from the perspective of never having done it I understand the concern. Glad you got it worked out so easily and now hopefully other can accomplish the install without reservations after reading about your experience. Now let us know your opinion of how the pipe sounds and performs!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'll be switching to the billet cat before too long. The exhaust I have on mine now is too loud for my taste and it cost me some low-end torque. I've run the D&D Boarzilla in the past and I like the D&D stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just started reading this thread and as I started reading all the hate on D&D I was scratching my head a little as backing the studs out a few threads isn't really that big of a deal. But after thinking about it from the perspective of never having done it I understand the concern. Glad you got it worked out so easily and now hopefully other can accomplish the install without reservations after reading about your experience. Now let us know your opinion of how the pipe sounds and performs!
Thanks, Ken, I dont want to bash on D&D.

Some history - My last set of headers from another company actually had an issue with hitting the trans case and had to be sent back - my thought was maybe I just had another bad set.

First impressions- I've only had a chance to take it around the block before I left town for Thanksgiving.

D&D actually did a special on 11/10 for Marines, 20% off plus swag. This is what made me pull the trigger on ordering as I had been contemplating getting a set.

I ordered on a monday and had the pipes on Tuesday (granted I am 4 hours south), pretty awesome.

No complaints on packaging or quality. Once I fixed the stud issue the pipes fit in easily, popped into place and alignment with muffler and tranny bracket was spot on. I have stretched bags and the 30 end cap lined up perfectly.

I only have a canned map for now but my butt dyno feels like I got my lower end back which was lost on previous setup. No complaints on sound, wouldn't call it loud - will give feedback once I get it on the highway.

All on all, I am happy with the purchase and would not hesitate to recommend or purchase again.

I am putting an RS468 cam in over the next few weeks so anxious to see what that does - seems folks are happy with that pairing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm surprised they told you to do this on a NEW bike. There's a rule of thumb how much a stud should go into a block, head, etc.. I can't remember the rule, it was 45 years ago. Hope it holds up 10, 15, years down the road.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
At that price you would think the product would be a direct bolt on with out blaming the size of HD's stud. The product is an aftermarket it should fit the bike not the bike fit it. Easier to blame HD stud than get it right.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks, Ken, I dont want to bash on D&D.

Some history - My last set of headers from another company actually had an issue with hitting the trans case and had to be sent back - my thought was maybe I just had another bad set.

First impressions- I've only had a chance to take it around the block before I left town for Thanksgiving.

D&D actually did a special on 11/10 for Marines, 20% off plus swag. This is what made me pull the trigger on ordering as I had been contemplating getting a set.

I ordered on a monday and had the pipes on Tuesday (granted I am 4 hours south), pretty awesome.

No complaints on packaging or quality. Once I fixed the stud issue the pipes fit in easily, popped into place and alignment with muffler and tranny bracket was spot on. I have stretched bags and the 30 end cap lined up perfectly.

I only have a canned map for now but my butt dyno feels like I got my lower end back which was lost on previous setup. No complaints on sound, wouldn't call it loud - will give feedback once I get it on the highway.

All on all, I am happy with the purchase and would not hesitate to recommend or purchase again.

I am putting an RS468 cam in over the next few weeks so anxious to see what that does - seems folks are happy with that pairing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

That will be a very good pairing, that's the cam I would have used if I hadn't gotten the S&S 475. I lost my bottom end with my exhaust setup also. I just ordered the billet cat from Fuel Moto since they're having a sale right now. Once you get that 468 installed and tuned you'll be happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That will be a very good pairing, that's the cam I would have used if I hadn't gotten the S&S 475. I lost my bottom end with my exhaust setup also. I just ordered the billet cat from Fuel Moto since they're having a sale right now. Once you get that 468 installed and tuned you'll be happy.[/QUOTE

Thanks

Dropped the bike off yesterday to get the 468 installed - it was a hard choice between the 468 and 475.

Should have the bike back ina few days, can’t friggin wait to see what it will do

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Glad the OP is happy, because that is really the most important factor.

I would think if this is a known problem, a set of new longer studs would be included with the new 2K $$ pipe. I think I would have pulled the stud completely out of the head for two reasons, to reapply thread locker and to count how many threads were engaging into the head

·
Registered
569 Posts
Glad the OP is happy, because that is really the most important factor.

I would think if this is a known problem, a set of new longer studs would be included with the new 2K $$ pipe. I think I would have pulled the stud completely out of the head for two reasons, to reapply thread locker and to count how many threads were engaging into the head
I know D&D is pricey, usually around $1100-1200 range. Fuel Moto had a sale going on and then had a black Friday sale going on on top of that and I got mine shipped to my door with an end cap of my choice just under $1000.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I know D&D is pricey, usually around $1100-1200 range. Fuel Moto had a sale going on and then had a black Friday sale going on on top of that and I got mine shipped to my door with an end cap of my choice just under $1000.
I was only going by what I read, as I have no idea what they sell for. Your right about Fuel Moto, they have great sales, Iam just glad they aren't closer......I would be broker (?) If that's possible! LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Instead if running out exhaust stud just get Screamin eagle exhaust gaskets. They are half as thick as stock ones and allow exhaust to move in a little farther. My Thunderheader came with instructions to change out and it was a piece of cake. Surprised all exhaust manufacturers don't recommend this. They work perfect and seal as they should.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts