Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the latest revision of the Service Bulletin on sumping (M1450 dated 11/15/2017) the MOCO outlines a test/inspection procedure to determine if the M8 motor is sumping. It requires that the bike be ran until engine oil is at operating temperature, then with the bike in the upright position, remove the crankshaft position sensor within one minute, then measure the amount of engine oil that comes out of the port.

On the M8 the CKP location has moved towards the front underside of the case (on the 103 TCs it was near the oil filter). I was curious whether anyone here has done that test as a preventative inspection, and if so how complicated a job is it? Anything to be cautious about?

I don't have any reason to suspect that my 2018 is sumping (or has ever sumped before) but I'd be interested in performing this test during my 5,000mi self service just for poops and giggles :)

My bike is a RGS with the 107. SE high flow, Rhinehart slimline duals and 4" classic mufflers, PV stage 1 flash from the dealer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You shouldn’t have the sumping issue because your 18 should have the superseded oil pump. Unbolting the CKP isn’t hard and only involves a 3/16” Allen.

Reactions: wevsspot

·
Registered
172 Posts
You shouldn’t have the dumping issue because your 18 should have the superseded oil pump. Unbolting the CKP isn’t hard and only involves a 3/16” Allen.
18s still have sumping. Sadly there are now a couple 19 CVOs that have sumped I have read.

Even though I'm a sumping candidate ('17, stage III, original oil pump) all is well after 10K miles.

Reactions: wevsspot

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shouldn’t have the sumping issue because your 18 should have the superseded oil pump. Unbolting the CKP isn’t hard and only involves a 3/16” Allen.
Thanks for the reply. I have an assembly date of May/2018 on my bike and while it may have one of the newer designed oil pumps, it still doesn't have the revised pump cover (at least not according to all of the information I've read) as the new pump cover only took effect on 2019 bikes, and even then there are still a few reports of continued sumping on 2019 bikes.

I looked for the CKP on my 2018 but it appears that they have moved it. On my 2015 the CKP was right near the oil filter. Any idea where it's at on the M8? A photo would be fantastic if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have an assembly date of May/2018 on my bike and while it may have one of the newer designed oil pumps, it still doesn't have the revised pump cover (at least not according to all of the information I've read) as the new pump cover only took effect on 2019 bikes, and even then there are still a few reports of continued sumping on 2019 bikes.

I looked for the CKP on my 2018 but it appears that they have moved it. On my 2015 the CKP was right near the oil filter. Any idea where it's at on the M8? A photo would be fantastic if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.
CPS is front and center of engine. Look right behind plastic cover on bottom. 1 allen head keeps it secure.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it thanks.

That's probably why I couldn't find it (and I don't have my 2018 service manual yet............ I know I know).

It's hidden behind the plastic oil cooler cover, and that explains the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yes , I did do the test couple weeks ago. It is easy to do. about 2 oz came out and that took a good twenty minutes to drip out Mine is an early build 2017. 107
Just look under the bike you will see it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes , I did do the test couple weeks ago. It is easy to do. about 2 oz came out and that took a good twenty minutes to drip out Mine is an early build 2017. 107
Just look under the bike you will see it.
Thanks Smitty. I'll do the test before I start my 5K service.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So, is there an acceptable amount of engine oil that is allowed to drain and an unacceptable amount as well?
Reading through the latest revision of the Service Bulletin on sumping (M1450 dated 11/15/2017) the MOCO outlines a test/inspection procedure to determine if the M8 motor is sumping. It requires that the bike be ran until engine oil is at operating temperature, then with the bike in the upright position, remove the crankshaft position sensor within one minute, then measure the amount of engine oil that comes out of the port.

On the M8 the CKP location has moved towards the front underside of the case (on the 103 TCs it was near the oil filter). I was curious whether anyone here has done that test as a preventative inspection, and if so how complicated a job is it? Anything to be cautious about?

I don't have any reason to suspect that my 2018 is sumping (or has ever sumped before) but I'd be interested in performing this test during my 5,000mi self service just for poops and giggles :)

My bike is a RGS with the 107. SE high flow, Rhinehart slimline duals and 4" classic mufflers, PV stage 1 flash from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So, is there an acceptable about of engine oil that is allowed to drain and an unacceptable amount as well?
According to Service Bulletin M1450 that's affirmative.

Following the warm up, test and inspection procedure outlined in the SB.

Up to 6oz is acceptable (although in earlier revisions of the SBs the maximum was 3oz)
Greater than 6oz indicates a possible sumping condition (although in earlier revisions of the SB it was greater than 3oz)

Apparently the mother ship is moving the bar.......................

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my wife a 2017 FLTRXS new in 16 awesome bike at 6000 miles motor started smoking for something issue seem to be corrected by replacing the oil breather tube’s the motor still smoked however luckily we had an ESP the entire top of the motor was replaced cylinders heads pistons rings no smoke I almost bought a Milwaukee eight I have a 2010 road glide custom the motor is completely done and fresh and I think I’ll keep it for now she has a six-year warranty that I will not touch if I bought a new 19 I would void the warranty going immediately to an Indie and build the motor as I see fit tide safe

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
isn't there a crankcase drain plug on the RHS under the floorboard?
wouldn't that be an easy way to see if there is oil in the case?
haven't gotten the service manual yet either. too lazy lol

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
isn't there a crankcase drain plug on the RHS under the floorboard?
wouldn't that be an easy way to see if there is oil in the case?
haven't gotten the service manual yet either. too lazy lol
No the test needs to be done straight up and drained from the Crank sensor, other wise it is a waste of time. Pulling the crank sensor could not be any easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealership came to my house and picked up my 18 RGU on 10-10-18. Over a qt low 2300 miles after first service. I noticed on last ride more heat than usual and bike just seemed off. Dealer said this is not normal and is probably a sumping issue. I reall hope they can fix it. Makes me want to trade it for a nice metric bagger. I just want to ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts