Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 17' RGS with the new M8. I recently went out riding with the girlfriend and while on our ride I started to notice an almost metallic "Bell-like" pinging noise coming from the primary side of the bike. It only happens when I get going from a full stop in first gear. I can't pin-point exactly where the noise is coming from as it only happens while riding and after the bike warms up. So, it being time for the 5000 miles service, I decided to remove the primary cover an do some digging. I checked the primary chain tension and it seems to be good. Well within the allowed specs according to the manual and the compensator seems to be good. Nothing loose, no metal shavings on the plug, no scoring from chain slap, etc. It doesnt affect bike performance at all, she has no issues getting going. From what i can tell it only does it while im riding two-up so at this point im just looking for anything else i should check or just an explanation of what could be happening. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the same issue with my 17 RGS I also get it when I’m on my own but as you say 2 up seems to instigate the problem more. Really seems like the compensating sprocket to me. Did you find a remedy to your issue?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
how many miles and what kind of "changes" have you guys made to your rides???

i've noticed pinging with different fuels but shell premium seems to alleviate any pinging.
notice it started recently on bp but goes away rather quickly. maybe ecm is catching up with exhaust opening up. dunno.

4800 miles and stock (for now)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts