Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for the 1000 mile service on my 2018 RG. In the Ultra's i had previously i used Amsoil V Twin oil in the primary and engine and Amsoil transmission fluid. Has anyone tried the Amsoil V Twin primary fluid? I just noticed they offered this and was wondering if it is worth trying.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yes, I’ve used it since it was introduced, works very well! Same goes for the V-Twin Transmission Fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
The Amsoil Primary fluid works great. If you are an Amsoil member and like to buy your fluids from them it's the way to go. We can go on and on about all the different brands that are great choices but to answer your specific question and not get off on yet another oil thread debate, yes it is certainly worth trying.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Engine and transmission synthetic is recommended, however avoid the synthetic in the primary. Formula+ for me.
I thought it was synthetic in the engine and primary and Formula+, Redline, Amsoil Transmission or similar in tranny

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought it was synthetic in the engine and primary and Formula+, Redline, Amsoil Transmission or similar in tranny
You can use synthetic in all three holes. H-D actually recommends the same oil in all three. Not trying to start the debate. Do what you wish but if you are out and about and NEED to put something in grab some 20-50 and go to town.

Edit to add, yes I have used Amsoil in my bike. I like it.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
it isn't so much to avoid synthetic in the primary, as it is to avoid any oil with friction modifiers as they will cause clutch slippage. synthetic in the primary is fine, although wasteful. hd recommends changing the primary every 10k. most do not go that long. i change mine at every engine oil change (5k).

if anyone cares, my recipe is:

mobil1 15w-50 for the engine
shell rotella t 15w-40 for the primary
supertech 75w-90 full synthetic for the tranny

the first 2 come in multi quart jugs, while the supertech is fine in the quart bottle. less than $50 for a complete oil change, including the cost of the filter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not going to go wrong using any top tier name brand oils.

I personally like Mobil 1 due to the fact it's available anywhere you're at(Autozone, etc.). Amsoil is a little more tougher to find, especially on the road if you need a quart to top off.

This is what has worked for me:

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 for the engine & primary
Mobil 1 75w-90 for the transmission(noticeably quieter and smoother shifting)

Thinking this may reduce the possibility of transmission oil migrating to the primary on M8's, due to being thicker.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Mobil 1 75w-90 for the transmission(noticeably quieter and smoother shifting)

Thinking this may reduce the possibility of transmission oil migrating to the primary on M8's, due to being thicker.
it isn't really any thicker. gear oil and engine oil viscosities are measured differently. 75-90 gear oil is almost the same viscosity as 20-50 engine oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I just switched my primary and trans to the new Harley 85/140 gear oil. I have an incredible imagination and I'm prone to hallucinations but it feels like it shifting smoother.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Time for the 1000 mile service on my 2018 RG. In the Ultra's i had previously i used Amsoil V Twin oil in the primary and engine and Amsoil transmission fluid. Has anyone tried the Amsoil V Twin primary fluid? I just noticed they offered this and was wondering if it is worth trying.
Not that I have a dog in this hunt as it applies to what brand oil anyone uses in any of the three holes, but.............................

Keep in mind that there are a certain number of M8 bikes that have the nagging problem of transferring oil from the transmission into the primary. If you're using a different fluid in the tranny, and you're unfortunate enough to have fluid migration issues, you might just consider using the same oil in both of those holes.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
it isn't so much to avoid synthetic in the primary, as it is to avoid any oil with friction modifiers as they will cause clutch slippage. synthetic in the primary is fine, although wasteful. hd recommends changing the primary every 10k. most do not go that long. i change mine at every engine oil change (5k).

if anyone cares, my recipe is:

mobil1 15w-50 for the engine
shell rotella t 15w-40 for the primary
supertech 75w-90 full synthetic for the tranny

the first 2 come in multi quart jugs, while the supertech is fine in the quart bottle. less than $50 for a complete oil change, including the cost of the filter.
For the mobile1 and rotella....are you talking about the multi quart jugs for auto or the vtwin? The mobile1 auto with the JASO MA rating worked well my Metric bike.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I used the multi quart jugs from Walmart. i never noticed that the mobile 1 15/50 was jaso rated. I just always used rotella t because it was, and because I didn't see a need to spend the money on a full synthetic for the primary.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I use Amsoil in 2 of the 3. I use Bel-Ray 75-140 in the tranny. I have the Amsoil account. 110 bucks for a case of 20-50. I change all 3 every 5k.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts