Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just picked up my first M8 114 in a 2019 Road Glide Special and after learning the hard way on prior engines that you don't want to put in the full amount of oil in, I was looking for some feedback. I'm attaching a pic of my oil level cold, on jiffy stand. As you can see, it is right at the bottom of the lower measuring bar. The manual states to warm up the engine, kill it, and add oil until it is halfway up the top measuring bar in the pic (the same point the manual notes for full on a cold engine). That seems like a bad idea to add oil to a hot engine up to the mark where the manual states it should be cold. Where do you other M8 owners like to see your oil level cold?
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Bicycle fork Auto part

·
Registered
369 Posts
I personally go to the bottom of where the dots and squares meet, cold on my jiffy stand.
I’m pretty sure it’s in the manual like that.

Reactions: mcburton3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally go to the bottom of where the dots and squares meet, cold on my jiffy stand.
I’m pretty sure it’s in the manual like that.
Thanks SWFLGuy! Just to confirm, you like yours where I drew the red line below? Ever have any issues with oil getting sucked into the intake?
Gas Electrical wiring Cable Font Wire

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks SWFLGuy! Just to confirm, you like yours where I drew the red line below? Ever have any issues with oil getting sucked into the intake?
View attachment 432605
I put mine there or one down from there but measure it hot not cold. you'll have less oil going into the breather. I'm about to get rid of that issue all together by bypassing the breather hoses into a separate crankcase filter and not back into the throttle body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I put mine there or one down from there but measure it hot not cold. you'll have less oil going into the breather. I'm about to get rid of that issue all together by bypassing the breather hoses into a separate crankcase filter and not back into the throttle body.
Thanks DoubleJ. Do you mind posting details/pics on how you do this once it is done?

·
Registered
2021 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
114 Posts
Thanks DoubleJ. Do you mind posting details/pics on how you do this once it is done?

·
Registered
369 Posts
View attachment 432605
Yeah that’s where I go to and no I don’t have any issues with oil coming out the intake.
I’ve been doing this on both my M8s and never had a problem.
And I always check cold on the stand.

Reactions: mcburton3

·
Registered
88 Posts
theres quite a few threads on here showing how to do it. I've just searched and gotten ideas from them. I think I'm going to buy the catch can and mount it under the Air cleaner cover. I currently have a crankcase breather filter but I don't really like that set up.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,878 Posts
at the tip of the arrow, you add a quart, wherever it reads at that point is enough...the tip of the arrow, on stand or straight up, the tip, only the tip...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also put my breather catch can inside the stock air cleaner cover. Very inexpensive to do.
Is that the golan catch can from Amazon?

Also what did you use to plug the small hole in the back of the air filter?

I like that you used the stock tubes also, I think I'm going to rework mine and possibly order the catch can tonight.

·
Registered
2017 RGS
109 Posts
Is that the golan catch can from Amazon?

Also what did you use to plug the small hole in the back of the air filter?

I like that you used the stock tubes also, I think I'm going to rework mine and possibly order the catch can tonight.
Yes, I got the Catch Can from Amazon before I stopped using them because they censor conservatives on Prime books and movies. I now only use Amazon if I can't get things anywhere else. I'll even spend a little more to avoid them !!!

I just covered the hole on the back of the air filter with a piece of electrical tape. Check earlier today and it is still holding strong after about 5K miles

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yes, I got the Catch Can from Amazon before I stopped using them because they censor conservatives on Prime books and movies. I now only use Amazon if I can't get things anywhere else. I'll even spend a little more to avoid them !!!

I just covered the hole on the back of the air filter with a piece of electrical tape. Check earlier today and it is still holding strong after about 5K miles
How does amazon know your a conservative??

·
Registered
2017 RGS
109 Posts
They don't know I'm a conservative. I'm not the one they censored. They censored Clarence Thomas.... the Supreme Court Justice...because they don't like his politics. They removed his books and the movie made about him over politics alone. They never announced it either. Who knows how many others they have done this too.
I do not support any censorship at all...nor do I support any organizations or people who do.

"I may not agree with your opinion, but I support to the death your right to have it"....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
They don't know I'm a conservative. I'm not the one they censored. They censored Clarence Thomas.... the Supreme Court Justice...because they don't like his politics. They removed his books and the movie made about him over politics alone. They never announced it either. Who knows how many others they have done this too.
I do not support any censorship at all...nor do I support any organizations or people who do.

"I may not agree with your opinion, but I support to the death your right to have it"....
this book the one you looking for???

My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir

My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir
by Clarence Thomas | Oct 14, 2008
4.9 out of 5 stars 1,594
Paperback
$11.59$11.59 $17.99$17.99

·
Registered
2017 RGS
109 Posts
I'm not looking for any book. When it was discovered they had done this... in the middle of Black History Month...They got a lot of push back and reinstated the books and movie about him. If they had not been caught, I do not believe they would have reinstated him.
I'm just choosing not to support anyone who censors anyone else. IMHO, that is what liberals will do every day if we let them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts