Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
It seems to be dying off and I don't know if it's because people are tired of talking about it or if the MoCo is getting a handle on it. Just like the sumping issue; it seems like you are hearing even less about that too.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
When the M8 came out, it came with a new trap door bearing. Just one. One of them was new style and one was still the old style. New on the main shaft, old on the countershaft. In 18 they swapped the positions front to rear. Same mix of bearings, just repositioned front to rear. And in 18 the issue seemed to go away.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Then of course the internet really blew it up . My RGU is an early 2017. At one point is seemed like it might have transferred a bit but . Close inspection and watch , it does not 24,000 miles on it now.
tugging the sidecar put more stress on it than riding a normal one down the road.
The internet is built on a lot of crap. Heck they are still trying to sell stabilizers to stop the death wobble on the new frame bikes

·
Registered
21 Posts
My transfer didn’t start till somewhere in the 25K range (early 17 bought in 11/16)
Once it started it just got worse for me (11 ounces left in transmission). I used the fix in the 2nd post and have about 25k on it with no more transfer and no more worries .

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
I have the migration issue. I'm still trying to figure out why this is my problem to research and fix and the the company that sold me a 30K motorcycle. If this is the fix, HD should be installing it, not me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My ’18 RGS has the oil migration too. I had the stealer do the 1,000-mile service back in June, I checked the transmission oil level for the first time at around 2,600 miles and not a drop of oil registered on the dip stick. I promptly took it into the dealer and told them I thought I had an oil migration issue, and they looked at me like I had two heads. Of course they said they never heard of such an issue (BS) and I responded “well I find that hard to believe given how many people online are reporting the problem, but if it’s not that, and since there is no oil leak, it can only mean you had a buffoon work on my bike that forgot to refill my transmission, so which is it?” Funny how quickly they remembered seeing something about a service bulletin on the matter. The bottom line is mine was down 7 oz in just 1,600 miles and Harley gave me some BS that they consider it within normal parameters, but the dealer reassured me (sarcasm) an said they would monitor it when I brought it in for the 5k service (like I’m going to give those F#ck$ any more of my hard-earned money). Unless someone is successful starting a class action lawsuit I think we are screwed and we will just have to check, add, and drain the oil often. After 29-years of brand loyalty, this is most likely the last new HD I will own unless they can seriously get their crap together; besides after seeing the price they put on that POS Livewire, I don’t see them being around too many more years anyways.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I have to laugh every time I see someone say their bike hasn't had a problem. What does that have to do with everyone who has had the sumping or migrating issues?

Nothing but I guess people feel like they have to mention it since when there is a problem people act they all do it. Just part of the internet and social media game I guess.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If you have a scooter that has the migration issue, and its say 10oz per 5000 miles. Its not going to damage the trans, and its not going to affect the clutch operation. You should consider using formula+/sys 3 in the trans and primary, as they are clutch friendly where as synthetic gear oil is not clutch friendly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a 2018 RGS with transmission oil transfer and excessive engine oil consumption at under 9000 miles!

I decided to trade it for a 2019 RGS.

At 4400 miles this 2019 has also got the transmission transfer issue, my dealer has fitted the HD fix but if that dont work (dont expect it to) then I will fit Greg Williams oversize pushrod that everyone is raving about.

HD have NOT solved the transmission transfer issue on 2019 bikes!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nothing but I guess people feel like they have to mention it since when there is a problem people act they all do it. Just part of the internet and social media game I guess.
I guess, the issues are real, the people that have had the problems aren't happy . The people that haven't had any issues shouldn't have anything negative to say about the people that are going through it. What do they say, Kharma is a bitch, you keep hearing I got 25,000 on my bike and it's all good, well you haven't made it to 26,000 yet, that's where my bike started sumping at.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My ’18 RGS has the oil migration too. I had the stealer do the 1,000-mile service back in June, I checked the transmission oil level for the first time at around 2,600 miles and not a drop of oil registered on the dip stick. I promptly took it into the dealer and told them I thought I had an oil migration issue, and they looked at me like I had two heads. Of course they said they never heard of such an issue (BS) and I responded “well I find that hard to believe given how many people online are reporting the problem, but if it’s not that, and since there is no oil leak, it can only mean you had a buffoon work on my bike that forgot to refill my transmission, so which is it?” Funny how quickly they remembered seeing something about a service bulletin on the matter. The bottom line is mine was down 7 oz in just 1,600 miles and Harley gave me some BS that they consider it within normal parameters, but the dealer reassured me (sarcasm) an said they would monitor it when I brought it in for the 5k service (like I’m going to give those F#ck$ any more of my hard-earned money). Unless someone is successful starting a class action lawsuit I think we are screwed and we will just have to check, add, and drain the oil often. After 29-years of brand loyalty, this is most likely the last new HD I will own unless they can seriously get their crap together; besides after seeing the price they put on that POS Livewire, I don’t see them being around too many more years anyways.
One problem with your anger directed at the dealer, they dont own your bike and ride all the miles, they have the burden to show HD corporate, to get reimbursed for warranty work.
So, are they supposed to eat the cost? You need to be vocal with them, call them up and have them note it in a service file (as well as you, and note who you talked to and when), that you are reporting fluid loss in trans.
There have been cases in the auto field of fluid transfer, then stops all on its own shortly after, and never does it again. So 1 time can be a fluke (even though it seems to be common) so if every angry customer reports it once and never again because they fix it on their own, or whatever the case may be, then to Harley that shows that the problem isnt a problem at all, and remedies itself.

Dont get me wrong if my 19 does it, Im gonna flip, but I will be constantly pestering them about fluid loss, till they get sick of me and fix it, Dont let harley off the easy way, if it continues to be an issue, make them pay for that push rod, there is no reason to abandon ship just because youre not willing help row it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I really feel for all of you that are having these issues & happy for those those who haven't had any problems as of yet, but you should be supporting the unfortunate instead of making them feel bad for voicing their problems. This could happen to anyone & if God forbid it did you'd be on here complaining as well. Nobody should HAVE to pay to put on any aftermarket parts after dropping 30k on a new sled. I hope the moco does right by all you guys & this problem gets solved so we can get back to threads with best oil and tallest bars with stock wiring :)
Peace and Love

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I really feel for all of you that are having these issues & happy for those those who haven't had any problems as of yet, but you should be supporting the unfortunate instead of making them feel bad for voicing their problems. This could happen to anyone & if God forbid it did you'd be on here complaining as well. Nobody should HAVE to pay to put on any aftermarket parts after dropping 30k on a new sled. I hope the moco does right by all you guys & this problem gets solved so we can get back to threads with best oil and tallest bars with stock wiring :)

Peace and Love

I don't think everyone, or anyone really, that hasn't had issues with their M8 makes a post on any of these threads with the intention of making the ones that have had problems feel bad. It is all in how one interprets what they read. I for one appreciate being able to read about these issues and hearing from those that don't have them so I can try and decide how wide spread an issue really is. I believe most are supportive of those going through issues but may not word things properly when they post about their experience. I also believe some people get on the defensive and are a bit too sensitive when they read something that is different from their own opinion. We've all done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
One problem with your anger directed at the dealer, they dont own your bike and ride all the miles, they have the burden to show HD corporate, to get reimbursed for warranty work.

My anger at the dealer is not because they didn’t fix the problem, it’s because I find it insulting and disingenuous of them to try and tell me they have never heard of this problem before and then after I call BS they later admit to “maybe seeing a bulletin about something related to that”. Look I know it is the MOCO’s responsibility to come up with a fix for this problem, and I do agree the dealers need to be reimbursed for any warranty repairs they perform, but I am not willing to give the dealers a complete pass on this either. I feel the HD dealers do have some ownership in this issue, because they choose to continue to profit from the sale of motorcycles that they know (at least a certain percentage) have design and/or manufacturing defects which HDMC has been unable or unwilling to provide a fix for.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My anger at the dealer is not because they didn’t fix the problem, it’s because I find it insulting and disingenuous of them to try and tell me they have never heard of this problem before and then after I call BS they later admit to “maybe seeing a bulletin about something related to that”. Look I know it is the MOCO’s responsibility to come up with a fix for this problem, and I do agree the dealers need to be reimbursed for any warranty repairs they perform, but I am not willing to give the dealers a complete pass on this either. I feel the HD dealers do have some ownership in this issue, because they choose to continue to profit from the sale of motorcycles that they know (at least a certain percentage) have design and/or manufacturing defects which HDMC has been unable or unwilling to provide a fix for.

Well said!

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I have to laugh every time I see someone say their bike hasn't had a problem. What does that have to do with everyone who has had the sumping or migrating issues?
My question would then be what do these issues have to do with those of us who have not had them? Its called shared experiences amigo....same can be said for just about everything - Hell, I put all new windows in my house 6 years ago and if I would have gone by what the "Comments" were on the Company and their product, I would have died of frost bite by now.........its all relative man

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
My question would then be what do these issues have to do with those of us who have not had them? Its called shared experiences amigo....same can be said for just about everything - Hell, I put all new windows in my house 6 years ago and if I would have gone by what the "Comments" were on the Company and their product, I would have died of frost bite by now.........its all relative man
You little window installing maniac, got any pics of you with you fancy True Religion jeans and a tool belt?:)
I think they mean on a thread where the people are having issues and talking about it they might not want people chiming in how great theirs has been all the time, for Christ sake let these people vent! :) It would be almost like going on a thread about tail bone isssues & seat options and chiming in how you don't have issues with stock seat and your tail bone is just perfect.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts