Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a problem with his
Street Glide 2018 when he start the bike blue smoke blows out from the air cleaner and even when the engine is on running temp idle is 1200-1300rpm,no codes bike has 1500 miles on odo,

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little ticking the dealer has done cam upgrade ,new pushrods ,they have check the bike today,and they dont no what to dothey disembled aircleaner and check the manifold

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Little ticking the dealer has done cam upgrade ,new pushrods ,they have check the bike today,and they dont no what to dothey disembled aircleaner and check the manifold
hope they figure it out. sounds like a timing issue but if they tweaked the ecm who knows.
in my experience blue smoke usually indicates oil burning.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel. I would go right to the butterfly valves in the top of the heads. If the butterfly valves are not working properly you will get more oil then normal flowing into the intake. The butterfly valves are a part of the crankcase breather system.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel. I would go right to the butterfly valves in the top of the heads. If the butterfly valves are not working properly you will get more oil then normal flowing into the intake. The butterfly valves are a part of the crankcase breather system.

Yes maybe thats the problem ,we will see thanks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just talk with my friend and when he start his bike now in the morning,it just blow out oil and blue smoke from air cleaner so he is on the way to his dealer and leave the bike,and he is

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer can’t find the problem with my friends M8 so they will take the bike back ,so he will wait for 2019 bike and see if HD has some news to show

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
spoke with a service tech over the weekend:

it is a known issue that some of the M8 rear intake valve seals are not seated correctly, but is only detectable by pulling the heads in the event of an upgrade from stock. i didn't ask him about a leakdown test, i was kinda surprised about him speaking candidly about it.

the only time they've found a problem is when they do a stage IV upgrade to the heads, and they have found it in about 25% of the heads they've done.

i started thinking about it, and it really shouldn't be a problem. he said the factory tolerances are .008" clearance, and most of them have been found within that spec.

i suppose the quicker, more efficient combustion cycle of the M8 would compensate, but i guess time will tell...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spoke with a service tech over the weekend:

it is a known issue that some of the M8 rear intake valve seals are not seated correctly, but is only detectable by pulling the heads in the event of an upgrade from stock. i didn't ask him about a leakdown test, i was kinda surprised about him speaking candidly about it.

the only time they've found a problem is when they do a stage IV upgrade to the heads, and they have found it in about 25% of the heads they've done.

i started thinking about it, and it really shouldn't be a problem. he said the factory tolerances are .008" clearance, and most of them have been found within that spec.

i suppose the quicker, more efficient combustion cycle of the M8 would compensate, but i guess time will tell...

Dealer here pull the heads and did a leakdown test and they said it was ok

1 - 14 of 14 Posts