Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly decent build in my 18 RGS including
Cr483
Decated headpipe
Rinehart slip ons (have since added dbx baffles)
I'm just wondering if any slip ons will reduce my torque dip or if needed should I look at a full new system.

Obviously my set up is different and a loads of people run the Rinehart's and are happy I'm also sure a load of people run there xxxxx pipe and are happy. I just want to know can I reduce my torque dip

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Surprised no comments yet. I’m sure my S&S 475 and V&H 450’s do the same thing. I plan on going down to a 4” muffler over winter but also swapping out my cam also. Not sure how free flowing or diameter of yours are, but could be a reason.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to throw in a fuel moto insert into my Rinehart's.

Long as it doesn't hurt it I don't care. My package makes more than the 131 is rated for so I'm just being picky.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I had a similar issue and added thunder torque inserts recommended by another member. For $30 if they didn't work I would trash them, I was very surprised when they worked as advertised.

You owe it to yourself to give them a try before buying a whole new system.

You may get great results with the fuel moto inserts too.

Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar issue and added thunder torque inserts recommended by another member. For $30 if they didn't work I would trash them, I was very surprised when they worked as advertised.

You owe it to yourself to give them a try before buying a whole new system.

You may get great results with the fuel moto inserts too.

Keep us in the loop.
I used Thunder torque inserts on my Twin Cam w good results, but it is a Softail, they have a set up for M8 Touring that work? I have S&S 4.5's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I used Thunder torque inserts on my Twin Cam w good results, but it is a Softail, they have a set up for M8 Touring that work? I have S&S 4.5's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
For me when I used them, I pulled the existing baffle out and found a good place to mount them.

I think it will be manufacturer specific

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He didn't reccomened anything. I'm doing my own research, plus inserts isn't something he would carry.

There a massive fan of d&d's and freedoms. But I didn't want to go a full system yet.

Lets not lie this system produces more torque and power than Harley's 131 kit so maybe I'm just being picky.

·
Registered
2019 fltru
899 Posts
your still showing over 120 tq at 5500 rpm-most all are going to fall off-looking at chart i would not complain...

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
He didn't reccomened anything. I'm doing my own research, plus inserts isn't something he would carry.

There a massive fan of d&d's and freedoms. But I didn't want to go a full system yet.

Lets not lie this system produces more torque and power than Harley's 131 kit so maybe I'm just being picky.
I dont care if its decatted or not, youre still using the stock exhaust on a built engine which I'm sure isnt helping your numbers at all. Your tuner knows what exhaust works that's why they recommend them. If you're going in deep with the engine then take the plunge and get the better exhaust that will compliment the build. Its another big nut to crack but until you do you will not get the full potential out of the build. I went through this when I had my 124 twin cam built. I used a generic xpipe and slip on and the bike ran good, or so I thought. I put a D&D Boarzilla 2into1 exhaust on the bike and holy shit what a world of difference. I dont know the specs of the cam you used but I'd replace the stock exhaust and I'm willing to bet you'd see and feel the improvement

Reactions: Jarrell

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont care if its decatted or not, youre still using the stock exhaust on a built engine which I'm sure isnt helping your numbers at all. Your tuner knows what exhaust works that's why they recommend them. If you're going in deep with the engine then take the plunge and get the better exhaust that will compliment the build. Its another big nut to crack but until you do you will not get the full potential out of the build. I went through this when I had my 124 twin cam built. I used a generic xpipe and slip on and the bike ran good, or so I thought. I put a D&D Boarzilla 2into1 exhaust on the bike and holy shit what a world of difference. I dont know the specs of the cam you used but I'd replace the stock exhaust and I'm willing to bet you'd see and feel the improvement
I have no doubt you are correct, but my figures are pretty darn good for a 117 so its not so much about the numbers its about moving the torque curve. If the fuel moto unit fails to impress i will be going a full system.
i dont think ive seen a 117 out preform my set up

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I have no doubt you are correct, but my figures are pretty darn good for a 117 so its not so much about the numbers its about moving the torque curve. If the fuel moto unit fails to impress i will be going a full system.
i dont think ive seen a 117 out preform my set up
Yeah the numbers aren't bad. A nice exhaust will definitely compliment it. My 124 TC is at 137hp 148tq. The torque comes on early and stays pretty much to the end. The D&D made a big difference
Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Pattern

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a fairly decent build in my 18 RGS including
Cr483
Decated headpipe
Rinehart slip ons (have since added dbx baffles)
I'm just wondering if any slip ons will reduce my torque dip or if needed should I look at a full new system.

Obviously my set up is different and a loads of people run the Rinehart's and are happy I'm also sure a load of people run there xxxxx pipe and are happy. I just want to know can I reduce my torque dip

View attachment 432449
For a 117” motor those are pretty good numbers…Before I built my 117” out to a 128 I ran with a S&S 550 cam and Fab 28 exhaust….. I was running around 122/127 if memory serves me right. But I was nearly always dusting everyone. So the numbers don’t always tell the full story. To put it in perspective I’m running 160/160+ and even with a HP cam, S&S 590 grind, no one keeps up. Even guys with 131” builds. The difference? The Ward racing heads 2mm over valves, HPi 62mm TB, intake and HPi full length 2:1 exhaust. I also have a balanced fly and ditched the balancer gear. Chain conversation kit. Rolling rockers, 6.2 gps injection. My point is there’s a lot more possible with other components

But to answer your question directly; yes a full system will yield more TQ and HP. At least one designed for that. From my experience that’s HPi. I run them on both my performance baggers.

But you’d be better off taking what you have and getting some head work done As opposed to just adding a full system. Depends on how much money you’re willing to spend.

Reactions: Zedbra and chbush

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I'm sorry. But to do all that and use a decatted header? I was told to absolutely not do that as the M8 needs back pressure. So you're robbing it there and hoping a slip on will fix it. Guys are running cams with the stack header and killing it with the torque curve.

Anyhow. On my limited knowledge. First thing I'd do is lose that header for one designed to scavenge and create BP. Re tune it and see where I'm at. I think until then you're chasing your tail.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: smitty
1 - 15 of 15 Posts