Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Ok so new to the road glide, always loved the look always wanted one, first thing I had to do with mine was install a different air cleaner on it. That being said I went with the Kuryakyn Hi-Five Mach 2 Air Cleaner Kit, love the look and look forward to getting it out of the garage and seeing what it looks like in the sunlight. :grin:

After install I notice in the pictures of the install there is a throttle body support bracket, is this actually needed, had to remove the one with my old air cleaner because it wouldn't fit the new one, so do I need to purchase one or is it more of a cosmetic deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hard to tell from your pic, need more of a side view.
But yes there needs to be a support securing the throttle body to the heads.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, appreciate the info, so I called the harley dealer and they said that the support bracket for the air cleaner wasn't needed, that is what I was curious about, so I took it for a 100 mile ride today, and it was AWESOME!!!>:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
If there is nothing holding up your throttle body and air cleaner besides it being bolted at the intake flanges then your dealer is wrong.
Post more of a side view pic.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Yes you need the bracket. I used the same air cleaner and had to dig up the original bracket to put on with that air cleaner.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is it called throttle body support bracket or something else?
Talked with Kuryakyn and dealer and both say the kit doesn't come with one, and not needed, I have a 2013, is it possible my year and up don't need it?

Really appreciate the info guys, I'm going to look for one regardless, just incase .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Talked with Kuryakyn and dealer and both say the kit doesn't come with one, and not needed, I have a 2013, is it possible my year and up don't need it?

Really appreciate the info guys, I'm going to look for one regardless, just incase .

uploadfromtaptalk1455857896039.jpg

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,082 Posts

It might work without the bracket, but there is nothing holding the throttle body in place except the four screws where it attaches to the heads. The throttle body can pivot at those connections without the bracket to support it.

The bracket is part #27712-08. The 2 screws to attach to the throttle body are part #4705. Here is a link to Ronnie's HD parts finder Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2013 Harley Davidson FLTRU ROAD GLIDE ULTRA (KGM) | THROTTLE BODY - INDUCTION MODULE Parts List

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's awesome info man, will find this part locally hopefully and put one on

·
Registered
213 Posts
I do not have a bracket, mine made it 5k last year with no problems.
There is a bracket bolted to your thottle body holding it up. Thats the black steel piece going from head to head.

If theres not anything supporting the tb or even a carb for that matter over time it would sag.

Some of the older bikes, the support was made into the air cleaner backing plate.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
There is a bracket bolted to your thottle body holding it up. Thats the black steel piece going from head to head.

If theres not anything supporting the tb or even a carb for that matter over time it would sag.

Some of the older bikes, the support was made into the air cleaner backing plate.

TY wfowill, I stand corrected. I do have the bracket.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Yes you need the TB support bracket and the stock bracket should work just fine. The TB doesn't bolt to the heads it is the TB flange that bolts to the heads, there is a tapered rubber gasket on each intake, this gasket makes the seal between the TB and the heads, the flange bolts to the heads and puts a pressure fit on the TB.
Basically the TB can move up and down without the TB support plate installed because it will rotate on the rubber gaskets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts