Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - have a 21 RG, with a Memphis Shades 8''. It's WAY better than stock, but I still get buffetting. Now that I've tested the 8'' and done the proper measurements, I need more height to be really comfortable on the road. I've never had a Mad stad, but the adjustability looks really cool. So, here is my question:

"Is NO BUFFETTING achievable"?

I don't think I've had the privlege of experience "the pocket"....I've gone from naked bikes to the RG.....so, I'm a bit inexperienced.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have not put one on my Rushmore Rg but did have one on my ‘13 and it did eliminate buffeting on that bike. Can’t see why it wouldn’t do that on a Rushmore model.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
with lowers, the Madstad will get you as close to no buffeting as can be had on a scooter. But without lowers, you still have air beating on you from below the fairing.
No buffeting is easily achieved on a naked standard bike with an aerodynamic FF helmet.

As soon as you add a windshield / fairing the fun begins.:D

@Lutzy I have a 12” / 20” baggershield on my bike that I won at Sharkweek. It isn’t sexy (but is the Madstad?) but in the 20” setting definitely no buffeting and just a slight breeze. The other negative is I look through it unless I am sitting bolt upright.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I am on a 13 as well, with a 14" high dark tint, an not too bad. Lot better than the useless (but pretty cool looking) 6" one it came with and i tried a clearvest 14" clear and hated it. It did its job but just barely till i went Mad Stad. Totally blew it away.

Remember, its a motorcycle. So your going to get some buffeting.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,751 Posts
I might be the only one but this might be a good place to ask the question, I wonder if the Mad stab windshield is creating my speed wobble and high-speed turns over 100 or speeds 95 and up going straight, if there's a crosswind man it feels like my bike is shaky in the talk tires are bald, it might just be me having the windshield set up wrong, but was with riding with Texas hooligan last night, and notice the bike was shaky doing a high-speed turn at about 85 miles an hour, the death wobble is only noticeable with like a crosswind while riding you can actually feel it pushing the front end, it may be me and it may be in my head but I've never had that problem until I put the windshield on, I thought about taking the windshield off just to verify that it it's not me, but I do ride my bike above what it probably should be written at anyway.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have the 12" Madstad on my 21 RGS and it has by far been the best for me for wind management (I have previously tried/used 6.5" memphis shades, 14" freedom shield, 14" windvest). In the warmer months when not running lowers I am using the GADS (Glide Air Deflector System) package to help with the air from below the fairing that Thermodyne mentioned.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Hood Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 Road Glide Special
462 Posts
I have the 12" Madstad on my 21 RGS and it has by far been the best for me for wind management (I have previously tried/used 6.5" memphis shades, 14" freedom shield, 14" windvest). In the warmer months when not running lowers I am using the GADS (Glide Air Deflector System) package to help with the air from below the fairing that Thermodyne mentioned.

View attachment 449042
View attachment 449043
May I ask how tall you are? And what lowers you found that will fit the Special?
I just recently installed the GADS and I find it a minor improvement , but an improvement nonetheless so money well spent. I’m 5’6” and been eyeballing the 12” Mad Stad

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I might be the only one but this might be a good place to ask the question, I wonder if the Mad stab windshield is creating my speed wobble and high-speed turns over 100 or speeds 95 and up going straight, if there's a crosswind man it feels like my bike is shaky in the talk tires are bald, it might just be me having the windshield set up wrong, but was with riding with Texas hooligan last night, and notice the bike was shaky doing a high-speed turn at about 85 miles an hour, the death wobble is only noticeable with like a crosswind while riding you can actually feel it pushing the front end, it may be me and it may be in my head but I've never had that problem until I put the windshield on, I thought about taking the windshield off just to verify that it it's not me, but I do ride my bike above what it probably should be written at anyway.
I noticed that, if the windshield is off a little, it will do weird things. So it may just need adjusted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also use Mad Stad, I had one on my '12 RGU, and then tried a Klockwerks on my '18 RGU, but went back to the Mad Stad. It is the best shield in my opinion for significantly reducing buffeting, mainly a "flutter" that would occure right in my ears.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I had a head injury long ago and I had to dial my RGS in and I'm using a MShade 10" and I recently bought these (link below) and although they do help cooling deflection to the heads, it does help with some buffeting.
I tried the KWerks and that puts to much on me.
Had a Freedom Shield on a batwing and that was good.
But the MShaded puts more over my head.
So as it stands now, I'm going to just keep this setup.
Using a 1/2 helmet (1.1lbs)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
May I ask how tall you are? And what lowers you found that will fit the Special?
I just recently installed the GADS and I find it a minor improvement , but an improvement nonetheless so money well spent. I’m 5’6” and been eyeballing the 12” Mad Stad
I am 6"0 with 32 inch inseam, and just know the other part of the equation is the seat, which I am running a corbin dual touring seat. For lowers, I ride the warmer months with the chopped engine guard with no lowers and the GADS. For the cooler months I ended up getting a full size crash bar and regular lowers. To ease the process of swapping between the chopped and full size engine guard, I opted to get rid of the OEM fairing support and got a bagger nation hidden fairing support thus eliminating either the one piece OEM chopped engine guard fairing support or the two fairing support brackets that would normally be used on the full size engine guard. I leave the lowers mounted to the full size engine guard so all I have to do is jack up the bike take off the chopped engine guard and then install the full size guard (hope that makes sense).

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I noticed that, if the windshield is off a little, it will do weird things. So it may just need adjusted.
It's awesome below 75 mph, and the weird things start happening above that, over 100
I will try readjusting it, and see how it does down low......
I could almost wear a baseball cap, if I kept it under 70..... it's at its tallest setting this present time....

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
2020 RGL factory shield. I have no idea what buffeting is.

Reactions: Vinnie

·
Premium Member
2021 Road Glide Special
462 Posts
I am 6"0 with 32 inch inseam, and just know the other part of the equation is the seat, which I am running a corbin dual touring seat. For lowers, I ride the warmer months with the chopped engine guard with no lowers and the GADS. For the cooler months I ended up getting a full size crash bar and regular lowers. To ease the process of swapping between the chopped and full size engine guard, I opted to get rid of the OEM fairing support and got a bagger nation hidden fairing support thus eliminating either the one piece OEM chopped engine guard fairing support or the two fairing support brackets that would normally be used on the full size engine guard. I leave the lowers mounted to the full size engine guard so all I have to do is jack up the bike take off the chopped engine guard and then install the full size guard (hope that makes sense).
Yup, that makes sense. I was hoping you had some super secret place to get lowers for the chopped engine guards. But your method makes sense to ride year round and be comfortable.

I’ll just have to buy the Mad Stad and see how I Like it. If I don’t like it I at least know where to sell it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Had the same issue at high speed. Changed the height and angle slightly, to create a little more down force and rides like a dream.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only buffeting on my 22 limited is above 80 mph which only happens if I'm passing otherwise is buffet free 75 and under. it all in the sweet spot of the shield set up. Best shield ever and I wasted a ton of cash on other shields. She ain't pretty but, if your friends don't find it's your secret. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Had the same issue at high speed. Changed the height and angle slightly, to create a little more down force and rides like a dream.
Thanks I'll give that a try, I do have it all the way up cuz I was trying to wear a ball cap, if I can get this thing to settled down at high seeds, I might try the another windshield maybe a 13-in, to me they're cheap 150 bucks so it doesn't work that's my next plan go one size larger

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,233 Posts
2020 RGL factory shield. I have no idea what buffeting is.
On my 2010 I put a12” windsplitter on and really helped My 2020 RGS with 13 k on the OD stock and it is fine. Maybe it’s my aged hearing. Life in construction and several Foghat concerts moved my hearing loss forward quicker.Was fun

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
236 Posts
Thanks I'll give that a try, I do have it all the way up cuz I was trying to wear a ball cap, if I can get this thing to settled down at high seeds, I might try the another windshield maybe a 13-in, to me they're cheap 150 bucks so it doesn't work that's my next plan go one size larger
Or just slow the fuck down……. 😜

1 - 20 of 35 Posts