Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had wind management down to a science on my last bike, a batwing. The right height recurve windshield and fork fangs. I could cruise at 85 and zero buffeting.

My 14” Freedom Shield is coming in tomorrow for my new bike. At my height running the stock windshield is like riding a nekkid bike, which I’ve enjoyed these past hot weeks, but it will be 50ish in the morning with this front coming through so I’ll appreciate some wind management.

If the windshield alone leaves anything left to be desired, I may just fast forward right to a Madstad.

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
283 Posts
I currently have the 14” Mad Stad and GADS installed, I also have a police saddle that raises me up a few inches. The windscreen is at approx 55* and all the way up.
Up to about 75 I am okay, but once I get much faster I get some serious buffeting. I have a 16” on order and going to try that and do up some angle adjustments.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,742 Posts
Right now I've got it straight up as tall as you can get, I will drop it down and change the angle, if that does not work, I will purchase the 13-in and see if that works better for me

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Or just slow the fuck down……. 😜
Ya Right!!!
My wife spent all that money on my engine just so it could breath better at higher rpms.... so I would not want to disappoint Nancy,🤣🤣 she might quit buying me shit for the bike😁😁Kev I really try and set the cruise control on 75 mph, then I find myself easing up to 85 mph, then the next thing you know I'm starting to enjoy the bike, an the 75 mph goes out the window...... there is a stretch of Highway, on 3005 as you're going towards Freeport just before you get to the toll booth, it's a four-lane highway, two lanes Northbound two lanes Southbound, it has multiple curves going back and forth for about 4 miles, so what I do is I drop it in 5th gear set the cruise on 75, and work the throttle from there, there are a couple of corners you can go 85 to 95mph through these sweepers, it is a freaking blast well not so much with that Madstad and the front end gets wobbly and it starts doing a dance, you slow back down it's okay speed back up it starts doing the dance again, and when I say dance it's the whole bike not just the front end. it does the same thing as you're passing a car at......and I won't say at what speeds...... but this didn't happen until I put the madstad on, like I said before Kev I may try to bump up to the 13 in, where I can run it lower and closer to the bike... and see if that helps..... it just so happens I have three different windshields all different sizes for backup!!!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I currently have the 14” Mad Stad and GADS installed, I also have a police saddle that raises me up a few inches. The windscreen is at approx 55* and all the way up.
Up to about 75 I am okay, but once I get much faster I get some serious buffeting. I have a 16” on order and going to try that and do up some angle adjustments.
I'm going to follow you on this one, because if the next size up works for you, it will work for me...... or at least that is my thinking.....

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
283 Posts
Oh and before placing my order I called them about making sure I am getting the right sized shield. Currently with the 14” shield on and raised all the way up it is a bit below my chin. Tech support says that it should be between the chin and mouth and maybe an adjustment in angle.

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
234 Posts
Ya Right!!!
My wife spent all that money on my engine just so it could breath better at higher rpms.... so I would not want to disappoint Nancy,🤣🤣 she might quit buying me shit for the bike😁😁Kev I really try and set the cruise control on 75 mph, then I find myself easing up to 85 mph, then the next thing you know I'm starting to enjoy the bike, an the 75 mph goes out the window...... there is a stretch of Highway, on 3005 as you're going towards Freeport just before you get to the toll booth, it's a four-lane highway, two lanes Northbound two lanes Southbound, it has multiple curves going back and forth for about 4 miles, so what I do is I drop it in 5th gear set the cruise on 75, and work the throttle from there, there are a couple of corners you can go 85 to 95mph through these sweepers, it is a freaking blast well not so much with that Madstad and the front end gets wobbly and it starts doing a dance, you slow back down it's okay speed back up it starts doing the dance again, and when I say dance it's the whole bike not just the front end. it does the same thing as you're passing a car at......and I won't say at what speeds...... but this didn't happen until I put the madstad on, like I said before Kev I may try to bump up to the 13 in, where I can run it lower and closer to the bike... and see if that helps..... it just so happens I have three different windshields all different sizes for backup!!!
I hear ya bud, I ride too fast too. Mines just a 103 with a stage 2 but I ride the piss out of it. The best that happened to me was my 24 y/o son just started riding street on a Sporty he is building. He knows how to ride a motorcycle as he’s been on dirt bikes since he was 6, but street is new to him so that has slowed me way down teaching him to ride. I’ve actually quite enjoyed it and I’m taking him on the same roads I have ridden 100 times, but I’m seeing scenery and things I’ve never noticed because I’ve always been so focused on the next curve, etc. Plus he’s a photographer (old school film) and stops to take pics often which used to annoy the shit out of me, but I’ve come to terms with that too. Before I used to ride till I needed gas, then ride some more until I needed gas, etc. When I would “go for a ride” it was generally always 300 - 400 miles. Now with my son we ride for about 100……

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
234 Posts
Regarding windshields, I am running a Memphis Shades 8” and it would rattle my brain anything over 65 MPH it buffeted so bad. I’m 5’7” and ride a low saddle……. However, like I mentioned on a previous post recently, I’ve always only ridden with a half-helmet, or no helmet, but my son convinced me to try a full face helmet, which I’ve actually grown to like. His reasoning was that he didn’t want to have to feed me dinner through a straw after I crashed some day, lol. As a plus though, all buffeting is gone with the new helmet. I think with the old helmet air was catching the half-helmet underneath and causing it to lift. With no helmet their was no buffeting because, well, I wasn’t wearing a helmet.…. So I’ve come to realize that not only is it saddle height and windshield height / type that makes a difference, it also matters in your choice of head gear, no head gear, etc. I don’t hear that mentioned as part of the equation much when people are searching for the “perfect” windshield, but it makes a difference….

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
wow. Thanks all for the comments and action here. I have to say, I was fairly settled on buying a madstad, but the high speed concerns expressed here make me nervous.

I've heard loads of complaints about lots of different wind deflectors...but, I've never heard someone say the felt the bike get squirly because of it.

Thinking about how the madstad is designed, I can see a case where the top (adjustable portion) actually creates LIFT. I'm sure it's sort of angle specific. Taking weight off the front end at high speed seems very, very bad.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Okay so I went for a 200-mi ride today, I tried the madstad in a bunch of different positions, but I always came back to all the way as high as it could go come with it all the way forward. So I'm trying to figure out whether I need a 13", or 14" 1/2 windshield,

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Oh and before placing my order I called them about making sure I am getting the right sized shield. Currently with the 14” shield on and raised all the way up it is a bit below my chin. Tech support says that it should be between the chin and mouth and maybe an adjustment in angle.
I am going to take your advice and find out where the top of the Shield meets,
A figure of 4 ft level on work pretty good, from the top of the Shield to wherever,
thanks

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
283 Posts
Well, how much adjustment do you have? I have about 2 to 2.5” So I ordered mine so that at the lowest position I am at what used to be the highest position.

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
12,589 Posts
For Those Running a Madstad, look at this older thread for the angles that Other Members have had good luck with.
Best of Luck to All.
Mike U.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Thanks I'll give that a try, I do have it all the way up cuz I was trying to wear a ball cap, if I can get this thing to settled down at high seeds, I might try the another windshield maybe a 13-in, to me they're cheap 150 bucks so it doesn't work that's my next plan go one size larger
You could just drill new holes and see if it works. Beats buying another one for a possible test...

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
12,589 Posts
With a Madstad the most important thing to do is find the correct degree of angle that works for You.
If You check post #33 I listed an older thread from Madstad Users that have different degrees of angle that worked.
When I had The Madstad I had an angle meter app on my iPhone that I used to make sure I set the proper degree of angle. I believe that Madstad recommends a degree of angle from 55-65 degrees. If I remember correctly I found the sweet spot at 57 degrees and I am 5'-10" and was using a Le Pera Maverick Seat at the time.
I hope this is helpful to those running a Madstad.
As for Me I changed over to a Memphis Shades 6 1/2" Spoiler Windshield and couldn't be happier.
Mike U.

Here is another thread about Madstad Degrees of Angle:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts