Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned to the Phoenix area from a road trip to Houston and OKC. The RG showed a little more than 3200 miles logged.

It was great to see relatives that I hadn't seen in a few years but I was reminded of why January probably isn't the best month for an extended ride.

The trip from Phoenix to Houston was made along I-10 (I figured staying close to the U.S./Mexico border would mean that I would dodge most of the cold weather and storms, I was wrong). I managed to time my departure from Houston on the morning of the sleet storm a week ago Tuesday. Ice accumulations in Houston, who would have imagined? It took me 3 hours to make it 60 miles north of Houston. Lots of fishtailing but I managed to not lay the bike down. The pictures below attest to what the bike looked like after getting out of Houston. When I pulled into the Dallas HD dealership for an oil change and some hot coffee, the service techs looked at me like I must be crazy because of all of the ice hanging from the bike.

I actually had clear (but cold and windy conditions) between southeastern Texas and OKC, and fortunately, I found a lot of great BBQ joints along the way! The heated seat and heated handle grips kept me pretty comfortable during the day, and the MoCo tarp kept the frost and dew off of the bike at night.

Next to the icy ride north out of Houston, the worst leg of the trip was on the return stretch from OKC down to Midland, TX last Sunday. The wind was a steady 25 to 35 mph with gusts approaching 55 mph at times. I was really glad that I was riding a 1/2 ton bike under those conditions.

I'll definitely make the trip again, but not during the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sounds like a great ride... if the temp was about 30 degrees warmer! Great to see family though! Glad you made it safe...

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Good you made it back OK, I bet that was very interesting trip.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Glad you made it back okay! I wouldn't have the will to screw with the ice, I'd of checked in somewhere warm!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you made it home safe, how were the new bars?
Thanks NB! The new bars performed their intended purpose of keeping the neck and back pain at bay, however, during the windy parts of the trip and while on the ice, I was so far bent over them in an effort to stay upright that I managed to throw my back out. I'm heading to the chiropractor later today LOL!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welldone........fantastic trip. Dood skills to keep the bike up with that ice.
Thanks Rub! I'm not sure how much was skill but I do know that a good portion of staying vertical was pure luck. The whole time during the bad legs of the journey I kept thinking about what I've read here on the forum...making sure that I didn't ride any faster than my guardian angel could fly!

By the way, after two weeks on the road, it felt GREAT to crawl into my own sack at home last night!

·
Registered
491 Posts
glad you made it back safely.....nasty and I'd have assumed the same, near Mexico boarder, what's to worry about...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
That must have been one hell of a ride! Good for you for braving that and making it back to AZ in unscathed condition and one piece. Glad it turned out well and you got together with some Fam.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The new bars performed their intended purpose of keeping the neck and back pain at bay, however, during the windy parts of the trip and while on the ice, I was so far bent over them in an effort to stay upright that I managed to throw my back out. I'm heading to the chiropractor later today LOL!
glad you lived to ride another day lol
back prolly stiff from tensing up all the time?
love to get the spine alignment myself once or twice a year.
got one of those teeter inversion chair doohickeys to help me stretch things out occasionally.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Glad you made it home safe. If I’d of known you were coming thru Midland you could of chilled here for a bit till the wind/sand storm cleared out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts