Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I originally started out with the 10-in madstad windshield, I never got comfortable with it and I really did not like the looks, well I received a 13"from a fourm member to replace the 10,
As my wife would say what a difference 3 in makes馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
But now it's a totally different ride, with the shield and its highest setting, and most forward setting, it makes a hell of a difference in blocking the wind let me tell you my eyes are just enough to clear the top of the windshield unless I am doing Slow Roll such as parking then I actually look through the windshield to see where I'm going, I love everything about this windshield except for one thing, I went to get on it yesterday like I normally do, in the wind acted like it was hitting a brick wall, at first I thought it was some of the new parts I put on like the comp Eliminator that I installed a couple of days ago, I'm trying to figure out why my bike just isn't jumping like it normally does, light bulb goes off it's the damn windshield, but it being cold weather yesterday it was 49 when I went out to ride, the shield made a big difference and I really wasn't worried about how fast you could go, I took two wheels advice, and kept it under 65, the windshield was magnificent as the only thing that the wind was really catching where my feet and my hands, the rest was just blowing over me I'm thinking to myself, self I will keep this windshield on until spring, then I will put the 10 in back on for the summertime. But the function of the windshield outweighs the looks, it will grow on me in time I'm sure just because I like how it's functional. And yes I think it's ugly but in the same respect I sure like the wind blockage it provides.....
Just saying......

Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
It took me a bit to grow into actually liking the looks of the Madstad, but heir performance on a touring bike that sees many miles outweighs form in my eyes; I love mine and just slam it down during the brief summer weeks (not months) we get up here in the PNW.

Premium Member
Sure glad you're liking it. Seems to me that Madstad gets a big majority of positive ratings vs the occasional negative or neutral 'meh' report.

As looks go, it's like anything else in life...perhaps paint colors are a good example. Or black vs chrome tastes.

Fortunately we have a wide variety of choices with enough performance and good looks that everyone can achieve satisfaction.

Registered
Looks are a personal choice but very few can say there's a better functional shield out there. I just adjust my shield down in the summer months except when it rains .

Reactions: DanHappy and Zedbra

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys that live up north, where it is really cold, I couldn't see not having the madstad, simply because of the wind deflection, my only complaint is that it affects the performance of the bike.......
And I actually have a 14" i could put on, and it's lite tint, that one I see through the shield because it's higher than my eyes, I haven't really checked it out I only put it on the bike and said wow this is tall.....

Registered
Never have had that problem on mine. Did you set the windshield angle correctly?

6: HOW DO I SET THE ANGLE ON MY MADSTAD SYSTEM?
Our windshields work best at approximately a 60 degree angle relative to the ground, give or take a few degrees. On the back cover of the user manual you will find an angle guide to help you align your shield, and smartphone angle finder (inclinometer) apps are available for download. Your personal best comfort level will likely be between 55 and 63 degrees, you will have to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you.

Notes on Windshield Angle
Most windshields work best when set at a 55-60 degree angle. We have provided an angle guide on the back page of this manual so that you can check and see if your shield is set somewhere in this range.
To check your shield angle, your bike should be in an upright position either on a center stand or held up by a helper. Set the spine (folded edge) of the manual against the front of the shield. If the large arrow marked 60掳 is pointing straight up, then your shield is at a 60 degree angle. (See diagram on Page 5.) A little farther back and your angle would somewhere between 55 and 60 degrees. Anywhere in this range is fine for your initial test ride. You may want the shield at 57-59 degrees when riding solo, but push it to a more vertical angle with a passenger. (A 63-64 degree angle can bump the air up a little higher to clear your passenger鈥檚 head.)
There are free smartphone apps that turn your phone into an angle finder (inclinometer) so you can see exactly where you鈥檙e at. You can also purchase mechanical dial angle finders at your local hardware store, but these things are not a requirement. Most riders can find their sweet spot through simple trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
I ran a Madstad 12"/13" on 3 different RG's for a total of over 100k miles and never felt it hindered the performance until I was at least in the triple digits. Only then it only slowed me 3-5mph from the bikes usual top speed. Not a big deal at all. Cruising 80-90mph on the slab was a dream. Made the RG the best long distance touring bike on the slab without a doubt. If someone is feeling like it does hinder your performance, I say that is a valid excuse to do some performance upgrades to the engine if you ask me... 馃し鈥嶁檧锔 ;):ROFLMAO:

Registered
I'm not knowledgeable on Madstad shields, but I've noticed some have a very squared-off top profile while others are cut with a greater radius. Probably a matter of model year I'd think.

View attachment 451599
Looking at their website the pre-Rushmore 1998-2013 Road Glides are squared up like that, versus the 2015-present windshields

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not knowledgeable on Madstad shields, but I've noticed some have a very squared-off top profile while others are cut with a greater radius. Probably a matter of model year I'd think.

View attachment 451599
Gotta love denim black.......馃槈馃槈

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there any riders that actually have to look through the windshield because of the Height?

Administrator
Are there any riders that actually have to look through the windshield because of the Height?
They are designed so that you don't look through them, but over them. I suppose some people like being behind glass, though. Only advantage I could see looking through one would be a lot of cold or rain riding.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to make a trip to Pasadamdena Texas,
To get a drain plug, then I will take a ride, and bring a 10 mm wrench, and Allen t handle
So I can adjust on the fly...to really dial it in.....

Administrator
Going to make a trip to Pasadamdena Texas,
To get a drain plug, then I will take a ride, and bring a 10 mm wrench, and Allen t handle
So I can adjust on the fly...to really dial it in.....
Take the wrench, torx bit, and allen to do any slight clutch adjustment as well.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay today was my first real ride on the motorcycle, with the madstad, I carried a couple of tools so I can adjust the windshield as needed, I actually love this damn thing, it was pretty cold and chilly today, but really the only thing that was catching air was my boots, hands and the top of my head, blowing my hair foward just a little bit.
Put the shield all the way down, and the bike is fast again..... put the shield all the way up, and you got a bug blocker, rain blocker, even cold air blocker, just those 2 functions alone, changes my view point. Function over Aesthetics, and when you put it all the way down it still looks sexy, when I ride it with the windshield all the way up I feel like I'm riding on my old tour Glide馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
The shield is growing on me fast!!!!馃榿馃榿馃榿

Registered
Okay today was my first real ride on the motorcycle, with the madstad, I carried a couple of tools so I can adjust the windshield as needed, I actually love this damn thing, it was pretty cold and chilly today, but really the only thing that was catching air was my boots, hands and the top of my head, blowing my hair foward just a little bit.
Put the shield all the way down, and the bike is fast again..... put the shield all the way up, and you got a bug blocker, rain blocker, even cold air blocker, just those 2 functions alone, changes my view point. Function over Aesthetics, and when you put it all the way down it still looks sexy, when I ride it with the windshield all the way up I feel like I'm riding on my old tour Glide馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
The shield is growing on me fast!!!!馃榿馃榿馃榿
I ran their dark smoke on my 2010, as you are finding play with it till you find the "O" spot then its all smiles. With the proper angle 110mph I could hear Mick singing Monkey Man clearly. If you haven't already order their heavy duty well nuts much better than factory!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts