Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded for a 15 FLTRUSE and I can tell I think I'll want to go back with a madstad again. But, I'm curious. I have the little leather dash pouch which I really like and would like to keep it.

Anyone know if these will fit under the madstad mount thumbnail?

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
picture of what you're talking about?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I just traded for a 15 FLTRUSE and I can tell I think I'll want to go back with a madstad again. But, I'm curious. I have the little leather dash pouch which I really like and would like to keep it.

Anyone know if these will fit under the madstad mount thumbnail?

Thanks.

Ron
On the early version, the Madstad mounts to what is essentially a beefy TRX shield. On the new fairing I couldn't say. I know a member who has one on a new style fairing, PM bbally about it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks to me like the madstad mounts the same way my old one did. There is a base that is mounted to the fairing and the windshield is mounted onto that piece. On the ones for the Rushmores they tout the base as being able to double as a "toenail" shield by itself.

Here is the HD dash pouch:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/road-glide--fairing-pouch

It's just a neat pouch that sits on the dash behind the windshield. I like it. Not a lot of storage, but gives a couple of little nooks to put things. I think I miss my old madstad enough to put one on the new ride even if I can't adapt this little dash pouch. I was just curious if anyone had been able to squeeze one under the madstad base : )

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a MadStad on my '15 no pouch. The base plate shield is almost identical to the stock, I think the pouch would fit. Not sure about the regular MadStad brackets, However it will not work with the quick detach brackets since they would have to be pushed into the pouch. Maybe modifying the pouch by adding 4 holes would work.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Correction about the holes in the pouch, it would be 2 elongated holes with the quick detach brackets. The 2 solid bracket posts sit flush with the shield. The 2 spring loaded brackets sit flush unless removing or replacing outer shield. I can post pics if requested.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Larry. Exactly what I was wondering. Really don't have any interest in the quick detach. Hardly ever moved my last one. Great windshield - although in pics the pre-Rushmore looks better to mevthan the newer version.

Thanks again!

Ron

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It looks to me like the madstad mounts the same way my old one did. There is a base that is mounted to the fairing and the windshield is mounted onto that piece. On the ones for the Rushmores they tout the base as being able to double as a "toenail" shield by itself.

Here is the HD dash pouch:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/road-glide--fairing-pouch

It's just a neat pouch that sits on the dash behind the windshield. I like it. Not a lot of storage, but gives a couple of little nooks to put things. I think I miss my old madstad enough to put one on the new ride even if I can't adapt this little dash pouch. I was just curious if anyone had been able to squeeze one under the madstad base : )
Now I see, it's only a Rushmore roadie thing. Pretty much sums up why I had no idea what you were talking about! I thought you had somehow crammed a street glide windshield bag tray under your shark winshield!

Reactions: RonC26

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did put on the 14" madstad. Works great, maybe even a little better than on my 13. The pouch did stay under the mounting base. Looks a little funky because the base is shorter than the stock shield. Sorry no pics but I think it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case anyone else wonders same odd detail - here is a pic where you can kind of see the way the pouch & base look. (If I can attach pic from phone). : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did put on the 14" madstad. Works great, maybe even a little better than on my 13. The pouch did stay under the mounting base. Looks a little funky because the base is shorter than the stock shield. Sorry no pics but I think it will be fine.
How tall are you. I'm 6ft3 tall torso. Madstad said I should get the 16in. What do you think

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How tall are you. I'm 6ft3 tall torso. Madstad said I should get the 16in. What do you think
I'm 6'0" with 32" inseam, and I think just an average torso height. I'd say go by their chart, which at 6'3" still has you at a 14 - but your taller torso might take you up to the 16. For me I can feel the edge of the wind a couple inches over the top of my head, but I've got my shield up about as high as it will go. So, you're right at their cutoff. Looks wise the 14 inch might look a little sleeker, but function wise the 16 would be better. You can adjust it lower if you need, but still have the option of raising it if you're hitting rain, etc. Plus if you ride 2 up very often your passenger height might lean you one way or the other. For you by yourself either would likely work, but you're probably at the limit w/ the 14. After playing w/ mine a bit this time I almost think the angle you tweak it at has as much impact as the height w/i and inch or so.

Sorry for the non-answer but it might help you think.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ps - just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
491 Posts
If their 60 day policy is still the same you could try the 14" to see if it works, if not just return it for the 16" and pay shipping. I had to do this as I initially went with a 13" and sent it back for a 14.5"

·
Registered
26 Posts
ps - just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the forum!
Yes 1st post an tk you. Just got my 17 RGS an got everything set up but wind shield. I have a 15in HD wind shield JUNK. I had a Madstad on my F6B an you couldn't beat it. Are there any way you could post a couple pics of your shield front , back an sides. Hate to be a pain. But just don't want to blow my money on shipping back an forth. Thanks

HEAVVYDUTY

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes 1st post an tk you. Just got my 17 RGS an got everything set up but wind shield. I have a 15in HD wind shield JUNK. I had a Madstad on my F6B an you couldn't beat it. Are there any way you could post a couple pics of your shield front , back an sides. Hate to be a pain. But just don't want to blow my money on shipping back an forth. Thanks

HEAVVYDUTY

Here's a couple (if I can do from phone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Don't forget to ask Madstad for the 10% off for return customers and mention the forum as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts