Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researching the interwebs trying to figure out what height madstad I need to satisfy (placate?) my wife. I left a message last week but haven't heard anything yet. I know from their website that a 13" or 14.5" would be fine for me at 6'1". The issue is that she is 5'10". If I hedge my bets and get a 16" will it be too tall for me to see over comfortably?

But all this got me thinking. what about putting something like my LRS Mako with the little flip on the madstad base? Wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds? Or better?

Bear in mind, I am not an aerodynamics engineer.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I think you would be wasting your money unless you just have one lying around. The 14.5 will be fine for the both of you. By yourself you won't need it all the way up. You can raise it for her. I am also 6'1" and I love my 11" shield in the summer and I sometimes go to a 13" in cold weather if I'm going on a long haul. Keep in mind that even if she gets hit by wind it is much smoother than what you can get from any other shield and she will not be beaten to death with buffeting and feel like a bobble head doll. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Researching the interwebs trying to figure out what height madstad I need to satisfy (placate?) my wife. I left a message last week but haven't heard anything yet. I know from their website that a 13" or 14.5" would be fine for me at 6'1". The issue is that she is 5'10". If I hedge my bets and get a 16" will it be too tall for me to see over comfortably?

But all this got me thinking. what about putting something like my LRS Mako with the little flip on the madstad base? Wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds? Or better?

Bear in mind, I am not an aerodynamics engineer.
Someone tried that with the Wind vest. Its been a while , but I believe they said the flip caused some turbulence.
You won't have any problems seeing over a 16 " Madstad. If your worried about your passenger who is 5'10, the 16 is probably a good start.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think I'll go with the 14.5" and have them drill the holes so that I can run it 1" higher, giving me almost the same height as the 16" but only when she's with me. So for it's about 90% solo.

I have a 10" and a 15" mako that I switch back and forth. I could try one of those for shits and giggles. They're both well used and not really worth selling. By the sounds of it I'll never have to remove the madstad.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Interesting question and one I was recently thinking about myself! I really like the look of my stock windsplitter and wondered the same thing. I wouldn't do with my stock one just in case but I thought I could probably easily find a used one to try it on. There is no lip on the wind splitter so it might work and if I used a clear windshield (MadStad) then I'd get the benefit of keep the look.

But since I've now added the clear MadStad I like seeing the part of the road that was hard to see with the windsplitter so I'll probably just no bother trying it now. But it's an interesting idea.

I would think the 14.5" would be fine for you and your passenger. Drilling the holes an inch lower will help and give you basically a 15.5" equivalent. Just make sure to order your -1"!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts