Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my Madstad brackets from the old style to the new quick adjust a few months back and just set the shield to the pre-change settings. Finally got to take a 300 mile ride this weekend and the buffeting and turbulence was terrible. Today I went for a 100 mile ride south on the interstate and the bike got squirrelly while passing some trucks so I said enough is enough.

My angle with the old brackets was set at 60 degrees. I tilted the shield back and hit the road. A lot better but still some turbulence. So I stooped at a rest area and moved it about 1/8 more back in the brackets.

The change is unbelievable. Smooth again and much quieter. I could hear the radio again comfortably with the volume less than half.

I checked the angle when I got home and it was at 55 degrees with a 2.5 inch bottom gap. My old setting was 60 degrees with a 2 inch gap.

I hit rain and very little even hit my sunglasses. I put my hand up to the top of my helmet and the wind was about 2 inches above the helmet with no buffeting. Just smooth air.

The new brackets adjust the bottom in proportion to the top and so no mor fooling with Allen wrenches and a 10 mm wrench.

I am happy with the new brackets and love the Madstad again. I never was able to get that low an angle with the old brackets so I'm glad I changed them.

Reactions: steel breeze

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I changed my Madstad brackets from the old style to the new quick adjust a few months back and just set the shield to the pre-change settings. Finally got to take a 300 mile ride this weekend and the buffeting and turbulence was terrible. Today I went for a 100 mile ride south on the interstate and the bike got squirrelly while passing some trucks so I said enough is enough.

My angle with the old brackets was set at 60 degrees. I tilted the shield back and hit the road. A lot better but still some turbulence. So I stooped at a rest area and moved it about 1/8 more back in the brackets.

The change is unbelievable. Smooth again and much quieter. I could hear the radio again comfortably with the volume less than half.

I checked the angle when I got home and it was at 55 degrees with a 2.5 inch bottom gap. My old setting was 60 degrees with a 2 inch gap.

I hit rain and very little even hit my sunglasses. I put my hand up to the top of my helmet and the wind was about 2 inches above the helmet with no buffeting. Just smooth air.

The new brackets adjust the bottom in proportion to the top and so no mor fooling with Allen wrenches and a 10 mm wrench.

I am happy with the new brackets and love the Madstad again. I never was able to get that low an angle with the old brackets so I'm glad I changed them.
Yup, just rechecked mine too. 55%. Perfect for the new style brackets.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I had the same problem with my MadStad with the new brackets. I purchased a set from a member who had it on a 2013 (mine is a 2002). When I first mounted it, the highest angle I could achieve was 58 degrees without using spacers on the mounting of the front shield. Wrote it off as the 5 degree difference between the fairing angle on the old bikes and the new ones. Everywhere I read said to set at 57-60 degrees. I set it at 58 degrees and headed out for a 3000 mile trip (much of it in the mountains). The bike handled horribly, wanting to run wide in every corner. Finally said screw it and set it back to where it was parallel with the base plate (around 55 degrees) and the handling problems went away. Buffeting is non-existent. I realized the gap difference between the bottom edge of the screen and the top edge, when set at a higher angle, was actually creating an airfoil effect and causing front end lift.

On a side note, everyone raves about MadStad customer support but, my experience during this ordeal was far different. Won't highjack the thread for that but, PM me if you want any details.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't feel hijacked.

We had very similar issues. I knew I had a problem when I passed a tractor trailer and as I got even with his front bumper, his headwind caught the shield and moved me over a couple of feet and I crossed into the far left lane. I wasn't expecting that. I was able to move back to the right lane but got trapped behind some slower cars. Then trucks went by me on the left and even at 60, I was getting moved around. Not a good feeling at all. :surprise: It felt like I had raised a sail on the front of the bike.

I exited and made the first adjusment decreasing the angle. That solved the problem. The second adjustment really made it quieter and smoother and no more turbulence issues from trucks or cars where I was getting moved around.

I mainly started this thread because I have seen a lot of questions on angle. I'm 6'3", 200 lbs with a 34 inseam and run a 16 inch shield. I have a 13 as well but prefer the 16. My aftermarket seat sets me a little higher than the stock one and with the bottom of my shield even with the rubber trim on the mounting shield and my view is comfortably over the top of the shield.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looking to get a madstad myself. Do you guys look through or over the shield? Just so I can pick a shade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I look over. Had a medium tint on my 13. Just put light gray tint on 15. Think darker tint looks better on bike because it hides brackets. Think I like seeing the road a little better in front of me on the light tint.

On my 13 I made a few passes up & down the interstate to tweak in the height/angle. Got it right after about 3 tries. Best to me w shield about parallel to mounting base. On 15 started it parallel w base & never touched it again. Does great.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking to get a madstad myself. Do you guys look through or over the shield? Just so I can pick a shade.

I look over the top. I have a smoke tint. If you set it up to look they the shield you could get visibility issues in fog and rain.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Huh. Was just looking at the Madstad site, and they now have a batwing version. It does not look like it will be as good as on a RG.

So the secret is out.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just picked up my madstad and the wife is not impressed by the looks by no means lol. She's younger still into the cool nonfunctional stuff

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Hot, down low, Cold or rain, raise it up...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have a Madstad base and shield for the 2013 and older bikes for sale. The shield is a 15" light copper in color no brackets. $150 bucks plus the ride. Took a pic of the shield you can see tint color.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I have a Madstad base and shield for the 2013 and older bikes for sale. The shield is a 15" light copper in color no brackets. $150 bucks plus the ride. Took a pic of the shield you can see tint color.
I have a set of original Robo brackets if anybody interested in the above.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Just over the top. Mine is about nose level. I have a 13 and a 16 and I run the 16 all the time now. I’m 6’3” and with the shield bottom even with the bottom of the thumbnail mount, I look right over the top.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
MADSTAD is having a sale up to January 9, 2018.
Use Code SAVE15A at checkout to save 15%.
Mike U.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts