Road Glide banner

Madstad Experience

8K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  nashtx 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally pulled the trigger on a Madstad. The set up of my glide is a 2013 Custom, stock handlebars, and a Mustang Super Touring seat Part Number: 79556, additionally I am 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam. I decided to purchase a Madstad for the comfort of my better half, based on all the reviews on this site (warning not to become a shield collector). With the stock toenail shield, she was constantly complaining that her neck was sore because her head was getting whipped around over 50 mph.

Based on Madstad's website I ordered a 13 inch extra dark smoke. It took roughly two weeks to arrive due to equipment problems at Madstad, no problem good things come to those who wait, even though I was checking the UPS status multiple times a day once the shield shipped. Yesterday the shield arrived however, as I was installing it, I was recalled to work (military). Arriving home around 9 I had to finish the install and see what all the buzz was about. I took the advice of a forum member and ordered new well nuts with the shield, good thing, mine were thrashed at only 3,000 miles. I used Chainsaws method for well nut installation and success. Mounted the outer shield and off I went into the night. It was a little hard for me to see through the shield, but all I can say is that this shield is legit, all the positive reviews you read on the forum are true.

Some of the problems I encountered so far was a whistling at 40 to 50 mph, taking the advice of some forum members I replaced the Madstad trim with the stock trim, problem solved, the Madstad trim was causing a 16th inch gap between the fairing and base plate. I probably slouch a little too much, but for me the 13 inch is on its lowest setting and is roughly at my eye level, perhaps its the seat as well. The dark tint also makes it tough to make out the Massachusetts pot holes on the way to work in the morning and on the way home in the evenings. So for now, I will ride with the base plate and brackets, give Mark a call, return my outer shield, and patiently await the arrival of a 11 inch medium gray outer shield. More to follow....

See less See more
#2 ·
Potholes? What stinkin' potholes? I'd be interested in your opinion of the 11" screen. I have a bit of the same problem with the dark shield (although it does look good) - I think mine's a 13" as well.

#3 ·
I too have a 13" but bronze. If you are going to replace your seat the 13" might still work. I am about the same size and have a Hammock seat and look over the shield. Enjoy.

#5 ·
I had problems with the NY potholes so I went with a light grey, it is perfect day and night. I am 5'7.5" on an ultra with a hammock seat, its a perfect set up, if you haven't ordered the shield yet or if you can have them drill extra holes, this summer wasn't that hot but I am thinking next summer when its scorching I can drop the shield pretty low and get some air on me and still not get beat up.

#6 ·
Got the 13 inch extra dark shield packed up and mailed back to Madstad, and gave Madstad a call to discuss the options. I spoke with Patty, and decided on an 11 inch clear. Riding with the base plates and brackets alone this morning the view was excellent, avoided all pot holes and a large spring in the car pool lane that I saw at the last second (if the dark shield would have been on, I would have ran over it). Even though the clear shield doesn't look as good as the extra dark, I prefer visibility and safety over good looks, just hope it doesn't look to bad. More to follow...

#11 ·
Reverse the brackets!!

I've been telling everyone that runs a Madstad to reverse the mounting brackets
so the adjusting knobs are on the bottom.
This configuration gives me a lot more adjustment up and down and more angle
adjustment as well.
Enjoy!
PS I have the 14.5" light bronze, and yes, I still had my windvest on in my sig-pic
-ST:D

#20 · (Edited)
Around 6 today the outer shield arrived, mounted within 30 seconds and headed south on Highway 3 in rush hour traffic. Loved the visibility and the ability of not hanging back 4 car lengths just to see pot holes. As the traffic lightened up speed increased to 40 feeling good, 50 feeling good, and at around 55 I noticed a batwing along side checking out the shark, I know he was thinking damn I wish I had a sexy bike like that! Cruising at 65 I began to check the wind flow. It was hitting me in the top of my helmet, so I pulled over for an adjustment, up one inch and forward a couple of degrees, and off again. Experienced the buffeting thump in my ears, so pulled over and reduced the angle. Smooth riding, well worth the wait and the $$$. Thanks to all the Madstad owners for posting reviews and preventing me from becoming a shield collector. Will play more with the height and angle once I have some time.

#23 ·
TEXAS RG: Buy and install the $30 HD wind deflectors that mounts on your front crash bars in front of the tank. Also, Sancho Wings and GADS do the job! Mark from Madstad mentioned during a conversation its designed as once you find the sweet spot angle. (58 degrees seems to work and for many on the fourm). "Keep the angle and lower and raise the shield."
Also, You can feel air flow height by raising your hand up doing 50+. Two up riding has another set of rules. Note: My bracket with 11" shield settings run from open to close is: 55 degrees to 70 degrees with the bracket mounted upright. (knobs at top of inner shield.) Works perfect.

#29 · (Edited)
I've had my Madstad for probably 18 months now and am very happy with it. I've toyed with different heights, angles, and distances between the base plate and shield over that time. A couple of things seem to be pretty consistent throughout all those experiments. More air between the baseplate and shield results in less turbulence as the airstreams re-join above the shield, presumably because there's not as much of a pressure differential between the two airstreams. And, I get the smoothest air when the angle of the shield matches that of the baseplate ... again I'm presuming because of matching air pressure. It would seem to me that with an angle more vertical than the baseplate that you'll get a pressure drop as the air comes over the top of the shield, much like an airplane wing at a high angle of attack, you'll get turbulence at the trailing edge of the wing. Think what a wing does when near stalling ... the laminar flow of air separates from the low pressure side and starts to 'tumble', creating buffeting that vibrates the wing. That's why a plane really starts to vibrate and buck when it's nearing a stall. The back side of the shield is the low pressure side ... like the top of a wing. Increasing the incident angle of a wing will eventually make it stall. Increasing the incident angle of airflow to the shield by making it more vertical ... essentially does the same thing.

I have the old style brackets with Cam Levers for adjusting height easily. With the arms set perpendicular to the baseplate I get about a 3.25" maximum gap between the shield and baseplate, and I have the angle set such that that gap is consistent top to bottom. With that and the height set so the top of the shield is about level with the tip of my nose, the airstream is about 3"-4" above the top of my helmet at around 70 mph, and it's quite smooth too, so not much in the way of turbulent driven gusts. Just occasional soft puffs of air. My wife is quite tall so she sits up a bit higher on the passenger bump. At high speeds (80+), she'll get a little bit of air hitting the top of her helmet but it doesn't rattle her head.

Reactions: Hglucky13
#30 · (Edited)
I'll throw my .02 in even though I'm an owner of an 08 Vivid Black RG for (nearly) three weeks. After much reading, I resigned myself to the fact I couldn't afford a new Madstad and looked at gently used factory windshields as my RG came with a 12"(I think) dark Klock Werks. Okay for around town but blasted me on the highway. I'm 6'4" with long arms and long legs.

Low and behold, cragslist gave me op to purchase a 1 yr old nearly new 16" clear Madstad from another RG'er who upgraded to a '15. Went on easy as pie and after 3-4 passes on the local toll road, I dialed in the right position. Used the hand at the top of the helmet to gauge wind flow. Couldn't be happier. Like riding my favorite Laz-Y-Boy down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.