Road Glide banner

Madstad in the rain (question)

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  RGKen 
#1 ·
Bought and installed a Madstad and love it. No need for anyone to ever try another windshield if you are wanting a comfortable ride. However I get caught in the rain often and was wondering if any Madstad "old timers" have any recommendations for optimum setting in the rain. Angle, height etc.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Good question....I have the old brackets so adjusting for weather conditions would be a pain but as much as i LOVE this windshield, I do get a lotta rain in the face and I think it's generally coming from between the base and the shield (not positive though, don't pay that much attention to it).

#4 ·
No difference

I ride in the rain a lot!!!
My madstad height is between my chin and lip. It is no different in the rain than any other shield I have had where the other shield was at the tip of my nose

I have been riding for 48 years. Lots and lots of rain!!!
I have had my Madstad for about 7 months and it is truly fantastic. Wish I would have known about it a long time ago.

Set it right, enjoy!!!

#5 ·
The bigger the drop the better the chance of the drop coming straight in, smaller will have a chance to follow the air flow over. Yesterday wife watched a LARGE bug coming in and the thing went 1/2" over top edge of Madstad and it hit my ear then her forehead. Did I say that thing was HUGE??? Never get the small bugs, the MS has only big bugs remains....

#7 ·
With my 13"
medium dark madStad.........I never get wet riding in the rain. Actually, when it rains....little drops of glitter form and I get a smell of roses from the wind shield. Only time I got wet was at a stop light....
WHO AM I KIDDING!!! You ride in the rain, you are getting wet.

Chuck

#10 ·
My best experience with the MadStad system has been with the two screens very close together and parallel to each other. The smaller the gap, the more air pressure generated. Think of what happens when you put your thumb over the end of a water hose. The water squirts further without increasing volume. I could literally see rain drops racing upward in front of me.

The new brackets don't allow the two screens to be placed as close together as did the old ones. I got a little more wet riding in the rain with the new brackets, but I think it's a minor trade off for the ease and versatility gained with them.

#11 ·
Like Shrug said. Adjust the shield to where you get the fastest airflow between them and it works great. I have ridden in some FL storms that produced very large drops of rain. I certainly got wet but what happened was that when the large drops hit the airstream they broke up so I didn't get pelted with them. I was just getting misted with smaller particles of water. I wish I had the exact angle and height for you guys but I don't. Just use trial and error the next time it rains. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.