Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Madstad Thursday. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the ends of the base to mate to the fairing. Old and new wellnut's keep popping out at the outer edge. I did hold it in as I tightened the screws. I talked with a fella at Madstadd yesterday.Forgot his name. Mark? He even called me back after talking some measurements on their end. My opinion is the base is not curved enough at the outer edges, plus the wellnuts shaft diameter are just a little too small for the holes HD has in the fairing. That is HD's fault not Madstad's. The oem screws are also on the short side with the thicker shield and gasket. They are sending me out a new base Monday, that he said they will curve the outer ends a little more. Very good customer service so far. Any one else have this problem? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the bottom rubber gasket. I put the base up against the fairing. The base middle hole and the holes left and right of center touch the wellnut, and I can tighten them. The outer base edge is near 1 inch away from the fairing on each side. Seems excessive to me. This is where even pushing in on the base and cranking down the screws, the wellnuts pull out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Installed one on my bike three weeks ago took about 20 minutes,
Started in middle and work out fit great.
Did you buy new well nuts? that could be some of the problem.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You might try screwing the well nuts on the base first. Then pushing them in and tightening. There is a thread on here about it. Never lose a well nut again is the title I think. I do this with my windshields and it works very well. On the selfish side I hope this is an isolated problem. I just ordered my 13" dark smoked today. Hope you get it going soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Did yours come with the plastic or metal base plate? I know mine is metal and it fits like a glove, but it's my understanding that Madstad no longer offers the metal baseplate because it interferes with the xm antenna.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the wellnuts on the shield. that didn't help, and doesn't change the gaps I mentioned above. Plastic base.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I got my Madstad at the beginning of the year. The install was super-simple and the fit was perfect.

The only problem I had was when I went out for the first test ride, I noticed the right side base came loose from the fairing about two miles into the ride. The base started vibrating around and I could see it had pulled away at the right edge. Turned out I hadn't tightened the well nuts enough. Quick stop and a few screwdriver turns at each well nut screw later, I was back on the road with no problems since.

Incidentally, the well nuts I have are the upgraded ones from Madstad. They seem A LOT better and sturdier than the original ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I finally got a chance to put the new base on. It fit much better on the sides. Madstad also sent me their wellnuts and screws. Big improvement. A few short rides and I'm liking this windshield system. Jury is out on the dark smoke yet though. Madstad doesn't want the base back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts