Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive owned em all. currently running a madstad. love the reduced buffeting. good protection. Can hear radio good. But one thing I think is lacking is down force. I ride my shark very aggressive at times and really feel like I'm missing the downforce Clockworks provides. Any opinions on this ?

second question- if I go back which size provides more downforce 8" or 12" ??

·
Registered
454 Posts
You may need to provide more information about your bike setup. The whole downforce claim Klock Werks makes is running land speed records and in some opinions is over-rated for the speeds most of us run. I've seen other websites talking about downforce while cornering on motorcycles, if that's the type of downforce your talking about? On that issue it's less about windshields and wings but more on tire contact between the roadway. If a Suzuki GSXR has an issue with cornering at high speeds I doubt any windshield would fix that, let alone our giant touring rigs that aren't setup as racebikes.

·
Registered
830 Posts
That is actually a good question. (You get a gold star) :)

I wonder if adjusting the angle would effect the downforce?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The RoadGlide faring design has a down force affect by itself. The top angle around the windshield is not only for looks, but pushes down the front end more evenly than just the windshield. The main reason for the windshield is to move the air over the bike, not so much the downforce that contributes to added handling....just my view anyway

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the more I think about it though, as good as a job the madstad does i believe that big flat piece of platic acts more like a wing in certain situations such as high speeds ( 80 mph + ) in turns ect

·
Registered
191 Posts
the more I think about it though, as good as a job the madstad does i believe that big flat piece of platic acts more like a wing in certain situations such as high speeds ( 80 mph + ) in turns ect
good point....ya, that sounds about right..
I'm always amazed when I turn a corner when riding along the coast, and the ocean wind hits the bike almost sideways. The wind moves me on the seat, but the bike just hold that line like its on a rail...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good point....ya, that sounds about right..
I'm always amazed when I turn a corner when riding along the coast, and the ocean wind hits the bike almost sideways. The wind moves me on the seat, but the bike just hold that line like its on a rail...
i actually meant it lifts like a wing or a sail

·
Registered
454 Posts
i actually meant it lifts like a wing or a sail
Not a physics guy but if you consider the wind is channeled between the windshield and mounting plate. That would create some form of down pressure as the wind is directed over your head. It might feel loose while cornering because you no longer have an area of back pressure behind the windshield? It may be that your windshield is positioned to far from the mounting plate? The quick test would be to take it off the mounting plate and see how it handles.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I run a 13" and 11" shield on mine. I've also ridden my buddy's RGU with a 14" MS. My opinion is that you will feel wind from trucks or gust more with the larger shields simply because there is more resistance much like when you add hard lowers. As far as down force goes... I've run both bikes well north of 100 on a calm day and my buddy's bike was as smooth as silk and my bike had some movement even with the 11" shield on. The difference in the 2 bikes is that my bike had the stock suspension up front and his had monotubes. So what I thought might be lift from the shield moving the bike, I believe to be an inadequate suspension for those speeds. Now I have since installed monotubes and it feels rock solid. The shield angle will cut through the wind and feel different at different angles but I can't see how it will possibly create any lift at all. JMO...

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't notice any lift. I ran a 12" windvest, then my 13" Madstad. I regulary run 80+ and over 100 often. Lots of high speed cornering. Never noticed any handling issues changing windshields. Lots of wind conditions no issues. I think the idea of down force or lift due to the windshield is all in the head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts