Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a 13 inch Madstad on my RGC a few weeks ago. I certainly like it so far, as I have been battling with buffeting issues especially during the cooler months. It does seem to have helped with this issue. I have noticed however that the front end feels like it may be "lifting" at speeds over 80 mph. I was running a 12 inch Windsplitter before and the hips on the windshield tend to push the front end down at speed. The design of the Madstad does resemble a "wing" as air goes over and under it, so it may be a "feature" I will have to get used to. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sensation while using the Madstad windshield.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Maybe a little but its not bad. Was it a windy day ?, I think the trade off is well worth it .
Some of the other wind deflectors out there work well with the Madstad too.

·
Registered
830 Posts
No "lift" on mine at any speed under 110! Can't tell you what happens above 110... yet.

Are you sure that you don't have the bottom of the shield out to far vs the the top. That could cause lift.

·
Registered
249 Posts
WQings have a differant shape than the Madtad, I thing. A wing is designed for the air to have a 'longer trip over the wing, Vs. the air going under the wing.
I think I recall it being called 'Bernullis principle'...."As Velociti increases, pressure decreases".....also know as a "Venturi" effect.
(I learned this from watching "Big Bang Theory" on TV. LOL)

Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No "lift" on mine at any speed under 110! Can't tell you what happens above 110... yet.

Are you sure that you don't have the bottom of the shield out to far vs the the top. That could cause lift.
Wiz,

I have run it a different angles. Anywhere from 57 to 60 degrees. The front end just doesn't feel "planted" like it used to and I can only attribute it to the wing design of the Madstad. Just to rule out my imagination on this issue, thought I'd get some feedback from you guys...Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Are you tires in good condition, adequate pressure? May be a tire lost just enough air sometime after the new shield was installed.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Been running mine for over two years and never noticed the front end lifting up. I would think if anything the design would have more of a tendency to keep the front end down. JMO…

·
Registered
331 Posts
I too have a slight lift above 90mph but I do agree the trade off is worth it. When I know I will be running hard I switch over to my KW shield.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would suggest that you bring the windshield out from the mounting shield a little. I had some lift issues and it was coming from the rear pressure (vacuum) because not enough air is coming under the base of the shield. Moving the shield out some will relieve that rear pressure on the shield.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have had no issues with lift at all but I have a good deal of separation between the base plate and the shield.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Installed a 13 inch Madstad on my RGC a few weeks ago. I certainly like it so far, as I have been battling with buffeting issues especially during the cooler months. It does seem to have helped with this issue. I have noticed however that the front end feels like it may be "lifting" at speeds over 80 mph. I was running a 12 inch Windsplitter before and the hips on the windshield tend to push the front end down at speed. The design of the Madstad does resemble a "wing" as air goes over and under it, so it may be a "feature" I will have to get used to. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sensation while using the Madstad windshield.

Thanks for the replies!
Any perceived lightness is not from the windscreen.. I do a lot of riding at or slightly above interstate speeds. An occasional sprint in passing, and have never experienced a sensation of a light front end. It takes more than air going over and under it to cause lift. The surface has to be that of an airfoil, which as air passes over it would cause low pressure on one side, generating lift. ( extremely simplistic description of lift is as air encourage an airfoil, flow over one surface must accelerate to match the rate of air flowing over bottom surface I am a retired test pilot)

Thanks for the replies!
Any perceived lightness is not from the windscreen.. I do a lot of riding at or slightly above interstate speeds. An occasional sprint in passing, and have never experienced a sensation of a light front end. It takes more than air going over and under it to cause lift. The surface has to be that of an airfoil, and the surface shape of the shield itself is not an airfoil. ( extremely simplistic description of lift is as air encounters an airfoil, flow over top surface must accelerate , as it has a farther distance to travel, to match the rate of air flowing over bottom surface, thus generating an area of low pressure ,generating lift..
There is something else at play if your getting a lifting sensation at high speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any perceived lightness is not from the windscreen.. I do a lot of riding at or slightly above interstate speeds. An occasional sprint in passing, and have never experienced a sensation of a light front end. It takes more than air going over and under it to cause lift. The surface has to be that of an airfoil, which as air passes over it would cause low pressure on one side, generating lift. ( extremely simplistic description of lift is as air encourage an airfoil, flow over one surface must accelerate to match the rate of air flowing over bottom surface I am a retired test pilot)

Any perceived lightness is not from the windscreen.. I do a lot of riding at or slightly above interstate speeds. An occasional sprint in passing, and have never experienced a sensation of a light front end. It takes more than air going over and under it to cause lift. The surface has to be that of an airfoil, and the surface shape of the shield itself is not an airfoil. ( extremely simplistic description of lift is as air encounters an airfoil, flow over top surface must accelerate , as it has a farther distance to travel, to match the rate of air flowing over bottom surface, thus generating an area of low pressure ,generating lift..
There is something else at play if your getting a lifting sensation at high speeds.

Thanks Tim.

Just looking at the design, and with no real idea of how a wing works, it seemed plausible to me that it was an actual lift effect. Just enough to change the feel of how it was before. But I suppose it could be a perception I have as the aerodynamics of the bike have certainly changed with the addition of the Madstad. I wonder if it has more to do with the old windsplitter windshield actually pushing the front end down at higher speeds than the Madstad actually generating any lift ???? So the front end could feel lighter because that push down effect is now gone. Sound feasable to you??

·
Registered
56 Posts
A Madstad on a bike looks as good as missing teeth on a super model. Try a Klockwerks shield. They look great, increase front down force for stability, and push air up and higher over your head than a stock. Madstad looks like a sneeze guard on a buffet table.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Though the Klockwerks shield on the RG vibrate and don't help any with the wind buffering. Although have a slick design guess for look work well. Think many other shields work better. Am still thinking about the Madstad. Send a PM never got an answer :mad: Wonder about customer service??? The shield price tag is bit high, neither they get involve with post like this one. Just saying. :eek:

·
Registered
498 Posts

I agree that the windscreen doesn't provide the lift. However, I believe the fairing does. If you look at the fairing from the side, it is the same general shape as a wing. More flat on the bottom with an angled top surface. I believe that if their is too much "vacuum" behind the screen, the fairing lift effect can be more noticeable. Reducing the vacuum behind the screen reduces the lift effect. The wind deflectors should take care of that but they don't do an adequate job. When my shield was too close in, I could feel pressure against my back. Once I moved the shield out to allow more air flow at the bottom, the back pressure was substantially reduced. I also got less rear push when passing tractor trailers when I was just ahead of their front bumper. The shield isn't a wing but the fairing can act like one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts