Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a RGC (no lowers) and a 15" Cee Bailies TRSCC Euro (one of the curvy ones). The air stream above the windshield hits me about at the hair line, so shield may be a little low for me. The much bigger issue is air coming up from the sides, under the fairing. I can put my hand on my knees and feel a strong upward flow of air.

I hear all the great things about the Madstad, but wonder if what I really need is a set of lowers. I understand that the vent should lower the pressure behind the shield but do not know if this is enough to redirect the side flow past me.

What do you think? Madstad or Lowers ?

THANKS

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I do have the GADs installed. I think they help up to about 40MPH; after that the air seems to just go around or come up from under them...

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
No question that lowers will help but it will be a much hotter ride in the summertime. I am 6'1" and I can run an 11" Madstad, without lowers, in the summer and the airflow is smooth and keeps me cooler. I still get the air from underneath the fairing but it seems to be a lot more tolerable when you adjust the MS to the right angle. In the winter I switch to the 13" shield and put my hard lowers back on. With this combo it is an amazing ride that keeps me a lot warmer. Warm enough that I only wear on extra layer under my jeans and don't even need leather chaps unless the temps get below 30 degrees. My take is that the Madstad would be the best way to go now and you could add the less expensive soft lowers when the weather gets cooler. The Airlite soft lowers are the best option there for $100. Hope this helps and I'm sure you will get lots of input on this topic.

K-

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My take is that the Madstad would be the best way to go now and you could add the less expensive soft lowers when the weather gets cooler.
+1

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Madstad plus Sancho's Wings should take care of it
+1 . I also use HD wind baffles. Lower fairings in the fall/ winter/spring. That's the total ride comfort.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I am 5'9 have the same Cee Bailey and lowers. I ride with a ball cap facing forward. Works great for me. The problem with a Madstat is it looks like a Madstat. Sorry to the Madstat cult, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Any 15" windshield looks just as ugly, if not worse, than a Madstad. Once you go over 12-13 inch shields the looks don't matter anymore. It's all function at that point.

·
Registered
615 Posts
madstadt or lowers

I currently have a RGC (no lowers) and a 15" Cee Bailies TRSCC Euro (one of the curvy ones). The air stream above the windshield hits me about at the hair line, so shield may be a little low for me. The much bigger issue is air coming up from the sides, under the fairing. I can put my hand on my knees and feel a strong upward flow of air.

I hear all the great things about the Madstad, but wonder if what I really need is a set of lowers. I understand that the vent should lower the pressure behind the shield but do not know if this is enough to redirect the side flow past me.

What do you think? Madstad or Lowers ?

THANKS
i take my lowers off in the summer for heat issues.you can get fabric lowers cheap,go to boat shop,sunbrella works great.you can also get on ebay really cheap.my madstadt went the way of totaled bike.using a long ride now,will go to madstadt this winter.i bought a gold wing vent and installed in my stock 16 in.that works pretty well also-diesel5

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hate the look of lowers on my bike so they were not an option for me. But I understand they do a great job of helping with wind management. For me the MadStad and Sancho's Wings give me what I need. No buffeting but I still get just the right amount of cooling air on my legs, arms, and face.

If you don't mind (or even like) the look of lowers then go for that although you will suffer a little more heat on hot days. If you live somewhere really hot I would try the MadStad and Sancho's Wings first and then if that's not enough go with the Lowers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great input guys. Leaning towards adding Madstad first and seeing how it goes.

Although, if I add lowers I could add more speakers >:)

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Thanks for all the great input guys. Leaning towards adding Madstad first and seeing how it goes.

Although, if I add lowers I could add more speakers >:)
Then you're wasting your money!! The Madstad may work OK but it won't help with the dirty air that comes from below the upper fairing.
You can take your hand while riding and see where the dirty air comes from and any air that comes from down below will not be eliminated by any windshield. You can also take your hands and see that the flair in the upper fairing pushes the air away from the rider so that eliminates the need for Sancho Wings.
The only thing that helps control the dirty air that comes from down below is the lower fairings and the best choice is the VENTED hard lower fairings.
I used both the soft lowers from HD and then I went to the HD vented hard fairing lowers, I also used the Sancho Wings and the Gads and the best combination I came up with is the HD air baffles that mount on the crash bar in front of the fuel tank and the hard lowers. I don't use the Sancho wings now because they didn't do much to help with wind management, I do use the Gads once in awhile when I remove the fairing lowers when the temps get over 100 degrees.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Then you're wasting your money!! The Madstad may work OK but it won't help with the dirty air that comes from below the upper fairing.

You can take your hand while riding and see where the dirty air comes from and any air that comes from down below will not be eliminated by any windshield. You can also take your hands and see that the flair in the upper fairing pushes the air away from the rider so that eliminates the need for Sancho Wings.

I have had numerous windshields on 2 separate Road Glides and have ridden with HD soft lowers, Airlite soft lowers, old style vented and the new style vented lowers. While hard lowers are THE best at getting rid of the dirty air from underneath the soft lowers will help a great deal. Now as far as going with the Madstad before you purchase hard lowers, you will NOT be wasting your money. The best windshield that I used before I tried the MS was my 14" Windvest. I rode many miles before I decided to buy hard lowers to get rid of the air from underneath. Once I did I thought it was a great ride and couldn't get any better. I was wrong... I gave in to the MS craze and haven't looked back. Once I bought my Skunk I immediately put my old MS on and was amazed at how well it felt with NO lowers! I can't explain it but even though there was air still coming from underneath it didn't beat me to death like it did even with my 14" WV. Also, with my WV I had the deflectors on the engine guard, Sanchos Wings and the dog dish on the triple trees. Any other windshield I would never take my lowers off in the summer but with the MS I will. It does make that kind of a difference for me and that's all I can go on. If you have never tried a MS shield then you just don't know until you have. It's your decision and going with just hard lowers will make it a much better ride. I suggested going with the MS first because it is cheaper than lowers and it allows you the option of a better ride without the lowers in the hotter months. That's all. Stay safe!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Any windshield including Madstad only controls upper air management and they can't do a thing for lower air management. I am not saying that the Madstad isn't a good product when it comes to upper wind management, but if you want to manage the dirty air from down below the fairing lowers are the best option. Putting on hard fairing lowers will eliminate around 75%to 80% of the dirty air that comes from under the upper fairing no matter what windshield is used.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Not trying to argue Ironmark as I respect your opinion, but I don't believe anyone here stated that the Madstad controlled the air from below. All any of us that have tried the Madstad are saying is that it IS a much improved ride even without lowers. There is enough that is changed in the airflow above that the air coming from underneath doesn't feel as bad. We all agree that using lowers is the best at managing the air from underneath. But given the option in the summer heat I would rather have the MS first. My guess on why we may have a different opinion on which he should purchase first is that you haven't tried the Madstad yet, and that's OK. Ride on and be safe!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have some soft lowers as well as a MS. The soft lowers do reduce air flow from under the tank quite a lot but I would never ride with any lower in very hot weather. I think hard lowers would be similar although they are harder to remove when you finally get tired of riding with them in hot weather. The MS windshield is something that I enjoy in hot or cold weather. The real benefit of a MS shield is that is stops the head shaking, ear piercing buffeting that comes off the fairing and a one piece windshield.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts