Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to put the new Madstad to the test today. I have a 2003 with stock seat. I am 5'11 and 195 lbs. I purchased the 13 inch shield in extra dark tint. Let me first say this. When I read all the comments about how ugly the Madstad was I wondered where that came from. After seeing pictures I didn't think they looked that bad. After I first installed it and looked at it from standing in front of the bike I was impressed with how well the extra dark tint looked on the black bike and the brackets weren't that noticeable...from the front. Once I sat on the bike I understood. Its UGLY from the seat! Imagine a odd shaped combination of a triangle /hexagram/rectangle thingy floating in front of you. Now I get it!
However...IT WORKS WELL. The buffering and wind noise is gone. I can hear the bike like never before. I even test the phone with my Bluetooth and they were surprised I was riding. It does eliminate the buffering almost completely. I reached this conclusion with the shield in the LOWEST height at 60 degree angle. I am looking over the shield at about 5 feet in front of the bike. Not a problem for me because I ride looking at where I am going not where I am at. I did ride in the dark last night and its dark. I don't mind that either but if you look directly in front of you then extra dark is NOT for you.
In my opinion this works very well for me. It works as advertised to a tee. My girlfriend agrees that she has no buffering and wind noise.( she was more impressed than me at first) Its ugly from the seat view but so is my reflection in the mirror and always will be. I am comparing this to a 12 inch stock shield and an 8 inch thumbnail and a 13 inch windvest a friend let me borrow. I say if your considering this purchase it worth the time to try it. With a 90 day return policy you owe it to yourself to try it. Oh yeah the install could not be any easier. I like the fact that the base unit is heavier and more stable than other windshields. I bought the oversized grommets and was able to do everything without removing the fairing.
Sorry Packy but it looks like I will have a Madstad on my bike at SW. Hope this helps others considering this purchase.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm interested, because I hate buffering. Do this mount to your stock windshield?
No, it comes with a thumbnail windshield with holes drilled in it for the main windshield to mount to. These things are awesome and look way better in person. Great review.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Great review and I agree 100%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you able to ride with just the thumbnail in place for short around town rides? Or is it a pain to get tbe brackets off.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Are you able to ride with just the thumbnail in place for short around town rides? Or is it a pain to get tbe brackets off.
its really not a pain, and if you don't mind the brackets its just four screws, otherwise its four screws and 4 nuts and bolts, fifteen minutes tops with a piss break.

·
Registered
776 Posts
And riding with your hole or nuts showing is just bad form. :-/

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

Ride it with the outer shield installed and you won't care!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Some chrome or black hole grommets from Lowes could fill the holes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Each review I read confirms once again that this will be my next purchase. I plan on shipping my seat out to Mean City Cycles (I think that's their name) to have it lowered and narrowed for my sawed off legs. I think I'll go with the 11" dark tint Madstad. I'm thinking at 5'8" a 13" might be a bit too tall.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had thought about the medium tint, but thought the dark tint would cover/mask the mounting brackets when looking at it from the front.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm the same height and the 13 is fine. Tried the 11 out at their shop and it was fine also. At it's highest I could still see over the 11. Took the taller one so there was more height to adjust with. With the 13 the lowest setting is close to the highest on the 11. Right now it is up about 1 1/2 inches and I can still see over. Either way you will be ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's good to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Madstad & Mean City

I did the seat reduction and shaved pan with Mean City plus the 11" dark Madstad with super good results. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and now feel strongly flat footed on my '11 RGU and love the Madstad for wind control.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts