Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 1 and a half years ago I bought my 2013 Road Glide Custom and within a few miles of riding, realized that the stock windshield was worthless. I went back to the dealer and purchased an HD WindSplitter, which I returned the next day after trying, because it too was worthless. (ya think with HD's money and technology they would run these bikes in a wind tunnel when designing their fairing and windshields?). I then came to this site to do my research to find a windshield that would eliminate the turbulence and buffeting that I was experiencing. I came to the conclusion if I could not be comfortable on my Road Glide, that I was going back to a RoadKing or StreetGlide that I previously had. Based on overwhelming reviews, I decided to take the plunge and purchase a Madstad. I have had this windshield for the last year and have not been able to adjust it correctly to get comfortable. I still get buffeting around my ears and top of my helmet that drives me nuts. Yes, I added the front fork air baffle (between the forks) and the wind deflector kit that goes between the tank and forks on the crash bar. I even added lower fairings which all helped, but did not eliminate the buffeting. So I decided to purchase a new windshield that at least will look good if I cannot eliminate the buffeting. I decided on a Freedom Shield, 12 inch, dark gray. This is my 2nd one from John (previously had StreetGlide) and the windshield is of excellent quality. It does not eliminate all the buffeting, but is not any worse than the Madstad and looks a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

I have decided to list my Madstad for sale on ebay if anyone is interested. 13 inch, dark smoke. PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111365702620?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, I have tried every angle over the last year. The picture posted is in case someone is interested. I cannot remember what angle this was, but it really doesn't matter as this windshield does not work for me. I hate the look and not happy with the continued buffeting.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
purchased an HD WindSplitter, which I returned the next day after trying, because it too was worthless. (ya think with HD's money and technology they would run these bikes in a wind tunnel when designing their fairing and windshields?).
how do you know they don't? just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean that it doesn't work...... the 12'' windsplitter works great for me, i get some wind, but no buffeting. and in the winter i change it out for the 15'' version.

good luck with the sale of your madstad. sorry it didn't work out for you, but as y2k mentioned, it looks way out of adjustment. i've never seen one where the bottom of the shield was that far away from the fairing......

if you haven't already, maybe if you tilt the bottom in, and the top up, it might work better for you? or did you try to get some adjustment advice from madstad?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
58-60* and the top of the shield at chin level is my sweet spot. I can move it up or down for more air when it's hot. I wouldn't sell mine for anything..

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I sold mine too, but strictly because of looks. The Madstad is a good shield and does what they say. There are other ways to achieve the same result though. Good luck finding your comfort zone.

·
Registered
542 Posts
They are a pain to adjust. I have 30,000 plus on my Madstad. I too was considering a Bat Wing!!!!
Good price for the shield. Should go fast.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well, there always has to be a first, and you're it here, lol

I've never heard of anyone selling their Madstad because it didn't work as advertised!! Quite a few that didn't like the looks, but none that couldn't get it to work for them,

I'm pretty sure you haven't contacted Madstad about your problem, because I'm willing to bet Mark or Patty would have you sorted out and riding buffet free pretty quickly!!

Good luck with your sale, but you're selling the only windshield that WILL do what you want.......... but alas, to some, not look good doing it, lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just curious how tall you are Redliner? Maybe you are to big for a 13 inch Madstad.

I'd say good luck, but i don't think you will have a problem selling it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did contact Mark and got his recommendation on proper settings. I have tried every angle possible and not happy with the results. I'm 5'10" with 30/32 in seem. I could have gone for a large MadStad shield, but wanted to be able to look over it, not through it.

I think my main problem is that I was spoiled with my previous RoadKing and StreetGlide not having buffeting issues, but yet I spent $22k+ on this new bike and not happy with the turbulence.....which really pisses me off. I love the look and ride of the RoadGlide, but hate the buffeting I get and feel that for the amount of money you spend on a bike, this should have been resolved before it left the factory. If I wanted wind in my face, I would go back to buying another softail or dyna without a windshield.

I am glad the MadStad works for other people, but it doesn't work for me. I hate the looks and the wind noise it creates. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
sometimes things that work for some people don't for others, I know that I have bought plenty of stuff on other peoples recommendations and they sucked! so I feel your pain. It is pretty bad the HD sells a bike that beats the crap out of us

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
In reading these posts, I do not believe a windshield will resolve the issue for you. It is the RG fairing design, not windshield designs. You ride comfortably on a RK and a SG without wind noise or "buffeting" and both of those obviously have the fairing/windshield much closer to your head and torso than does a RG. I also have a 12" Freedom shield and although it will reduce the buffeting from the stock RGC shield, it will not eliminate it anywhere near what a Madstad does. You might try a loaner stock RGU shield from a dealer to see what that does. Also, look into a set of GADS or Sanchos Wings as those help many of us. My Batwing and RK riding buddies do not like to ride my RGU for the same reason you are describing...they perceive it has more wind noise and buffeting than their bikes. Having owned Batwings, I understand where they're coming from on the difference, but my RGU with Madstad, Sanchos Wings and Harley "dogbowl" is extremely pleasant to ride.

Good luck in finding your comfort zone!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Surprised it didn't work for you. Best $ I ever spent on a motorcycle product ever. Something doesn't look right in the picture you posted. Not the angle either. It's the sides. Just doesn't look like mine. Maybe just the angle of the picture.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I feel your pain!!

My .02; I really think that the fork baffle does more harm than good, I think it keeps air from coming up to the cockpit area. I have the "flaps" and they seem to work only if the baffle is out. I have a freedom shield also, but larger and the quality is excellent, but wind not perfect. I have not found the right combo yet either, but what seems to work best for me right now is a Baggershield with the top piece turned down. The wind is constant but smooth, its a super wide shield at the bottom.

Wish you were closer, I'm next to DC...I'd let you try some of my other shields (lol) out and maybe work a trade + cash on my end deal....The Cee Baileys SSC I have looks great, but just too short for me. I have been jonesin for a "Stad", but cash poor at this point..I do have some goodies posted in the parts for sale section if you want to work a trade out..

I take it this has the old adjustment method!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Surprised it didn't work for you. Best $ I ever spent on a motorcycle product ever. Something doesn't look right in the picture you posted. Not the angle either. It's the sides. Just doesn't look like mine. Maybe just the angle of the picture.
]
Pic of yours?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts