Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the 14.5" Madstad a couple days ago. The chrome Road Glide trim has a 1/4" space or a little larger between the fairing and the trim. The Madstad base came with very good quality rubber trim. Should I remove this trim or should I push black weather stripping under the chrome trim. I can not go with out the chrome trim as it has already "Jacked Up" the paint underneath it. Any solutions from Madstad users who have chrome windshield trim would be helpful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I installed the 14.5" Madstad a couple days ago. The chrome Road Glide trim has a 1/4" space or a little larger between the fairing and the trim. The Madstad base came with very good quality rubber trim. Should I remove this trim or should I push black weather stripping under the chrome trim. I can not go with out the chrome trim as it has already "Jacked Up" the paint underneath it. Any solutions from Madstad users who have chrome windshield trim would be helpful.
I just installed my 11inch madstad yesterday. Getting the H-D chrome trim to line up was very difficult and when it was done I had the same gap you're describing. So I took it off and reinstalled the madstad rubber trim and put the H-D chrome trim over that. No more gap between the fairing and the trim. The only problem now is that the outer edges of the chrome trim are kind of sticking out along the sides. Haven't test ridden yet so not sure if it's going to need another adjustment

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I run no trim at all.

·
Registered
542 Posts
With no trim, is there any gap between the fairing and the windshield?
I have no trim.
I ordered the CVO weatherstrip. It left about a 1/16 of an inch gap in a couple of small places.
I can live with that.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Are you folks closing this gap for looks, or it is affecting the function of the windshield?

I, too, don't care for the thick trim, but don't hate it enough to take it off right now either.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I exchanged Madstads thick trim with the stock trim and it works just fine. I'd also be interested if running no trim affecting the function of the windshield?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Are you folks closing this gap for looks, or it is affecting the function of the windshield?

I, too, don't care for the thick trim, but don't hate it enough to take it off right now either.
What gap are you talking about ?
I noticed no difference between having the thick SE trim and no trim.

·
Registered
520 Posts
don't know about chrome trim, I have the standard black rubber madstad trim installed, if one could ever call it completely installed. the trims' thickness in relation to the location of the holes in the base ?? toenail are directly opposed to the installation process. the back side of the trim needs to be 'cut' so that the rubber will go by/around each of the 5 mounting screws and not bunch up between the screw, the faring and the mounting base/toenail of the madstad.. this rubber constantly pushing against those screws and vibration will cause something to give and it will always be the rubber. just my $.02.

EDIT: and I'd think that the rubber trim is to keep water from approaching the seam between the inner and outer faring.. and the GD whistling.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
mine whistles a bit because there's a 1/8" maybe (I didn't measure it) gap between the faring and the madstad base
I have no gap there, only a ledge. My metal base fits flush against the fairing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't know about chrome trim, I have the standard black rubber madstad trim installed, if one could ever call it completely installed. the trims' thickness in relation to the location of the holes in the base ?? toenail are directly opposed to the installation process. the back side of the trim needs to be 'cut' so that the rubber will go by/around each of the 5 mounting screws and not bunch up between the screw, the faring and the mounting base/toenail of the madstad.. this rubber constantly pushing against those screws and vibration will cause something to give and it will always be the rubber. just my $.02.

EDIT: and I'd think that the rubber trim is to keep water from approaching the seam between the inner and outer faring.. and the GD whistling.
Ahhh. Thanks Piggs. So you cut the rubber trim around the mounting screws? I think I will give that a shot.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have no gap there, only a ledge. My metal base fits flush against the fairing.
Gary, I'm guessing you are not using well nuts to mount your windshield because when mounting the base to the faring, the well nuts have a 1/8 inch (or so) collar on them which creates the gap that I get. maybe I no comprehendo.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As stated earlier, I apparently have other issues, but the screws and the trim location were never an issue for me. I didn't have to cut it; I just pulled the rubber back a tiny bit to set the screws then let the rubber fall back on top of the edge of the screw. Mine is only a very small amount.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As stated earlier, I apparently have other issues, but the screws and the trim location were never an issue for me. I didn't have to cut it; I just pulled the rubber back a tiny bit to set the screws then let the rubber fall back on top of the edge of the screw. Mine is only a very small amount.
sorry I missed this earlier HT but I was talking about cutting the rubber gasket on the inside between the windshield and the fairing, so the rubber would go around the well nuts. cut a (5) rectangular piece of the gasket, the width of each wellnut, they will then fit around the wellnuts and not bunch up between the windshield and the fairing, keeping from getting a good seal..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts