Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've read a ton here on the forum and I am set on the Madstad... and the height, going with the 14" on my 2017 RGU. At 6' 2" with 32" inseam this seems to be the best choice.

Anyway, I ride at night plenty and I am in New England with lots of up/down hills and twisty roads, so I wanted to ensure that a dark tint wouldn't be an issue... so I ordered the Medium Gray.

However, I can't seem to find many people who didn't go with the Dark Gray... and I'm wondering if some of you may be able to give me some feedback on that? I placed the order last night but I might ask them to hold off for a few days.

What do you think? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Medium grey is what I have and it looks like a pair of sunglasses during the day. Night riding is not a problem. My friends both had the dark grey and hated it for night riding, they both swapped out for the clear after a short time with the dark grey.

See my picture , bright morning sun so it's a little washed out

Scoop

Attachments

Reactions: Bigfoot

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't have Madstad but I ride at night a lot. I always buy the lightest tint from clear. Clear shows scratches too easy in the night lights. If I need more protection I use sunglasses or the sun shield in my helmet. Darker looks cool but doesn't function as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Running the third dark shield on the third Road Glide, wouldn't have any other tint.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Buy clear and use your glasses for the sun.

Any tint will lesson your low light visibility. And no amount of tint will remove your need to wear tinted eye protection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the quick replies... Scoop that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, and thanks for the pic.

When I say visibility issues I don't mean I'm looking to drive while looking through this thing at night... just don't want it to be totally blacked out. I do wear a full faced helmet and wear sunglasses for daytime riding. I just want to go darker on the tint b/c a clear shield of this size looks pretty fugly in my opinion and the tint helps it blend into my black bike more. I am hoping the Medium Gray will be just enough tint so I won't have visibility issues at night and it will look great during the daytime.

I'll be sure to post pic's once I've got it on there

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies... Scoop that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, and thanks for the pic.

When I say visibility issues I don't mean I'm looking to drive while looking through this thing at night... just don't want it to be totally blacked out. I do wear a full faced helmet and wear sunglasses for daytime riding. I just want to go darker on the tint b/c a clear shield of this size looks pretty fugly in my opinion and the tint helps it blend into my black bike more. I am hoping the Medium Gray will be just enough tint so I won't have visibility issues at night and it will look great during the daytime.

I'll be sure to post pic's once I've got it on there
I have medium Gray and its fine..but I dont ride at night much, I did have clear before and from a distance, you cant really tell there's a shield on it at all..just the dark mounting piece that looks like a short super dark shield.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I had the medium on my last bike and sometimes thought I didn't see the road right in front of me as well as I wanted. Put light tint on current ride. Think the darker tints look better but I think I see a little better w the lighter shield in low light.

Think you'll be fine either way. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the medium on my last bike and sometimes thought I didn't see the road right in front of me as well as I wanted. Put light tint on current ride. Think the darker tints look better but I think I see a little better w the lighter shield in low light.

Think you'll be fine either way. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi RonC26

Was that on your 2013 or 2015? I'm curious as (obviously) the headlights have changed quite a bit with these post Rushmore LED headlights

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I rode more than 80k miles behind the darkest tint they offer in both the 11" and 14" and never had an issue. Didn't buy the dark tint to keep from wearing sunglasses but more for the best look on the bike. Never knew the tint of the shield helped block the sun anyway. :grin: A lot of those miles were at night and many early morning rides to work or school. I also had my shield set where I was looking over it and not through it. Sounds like you may have picked the best shield for your preference.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi RonC26

Was that on your 2013 or 2015? I'm curious as (obviously) the headlights have changed quite a bit with these post Rushmore LED headlights
That was my 13 with HID's. Great lights but probably a notch below my 15 lights. Wasn't much of a problem but sometimes I missed seeing some of the small stuff right in front of me. Probably not a big deal because I was going to hit it then anyway : ).

When I wrote my first response I was thinking it is kind of a no-brainer in a way. Darker tint = less vision through the windshield. But I surely liked my medium tint and the thing I have to admit that I like better about the lighter tint is I've noticed I can see the road right in front of me better. I think it looks worse on the bike though and I'm one of those guys that actually thinks the madstad looks good/edgy on the roadglide fairing.

Good question to ponder. It's not a big performance deal. I'd probably let your personal vision situation lead you. If you're still an eagle eye go for the tint. If you've noticed shading affects your vision I'd lean to the lighter. (I'm a 63 year old codger and have noticed even sunglasses aren't as great for me in lower light. I've switched to transition lenses & really like them. I notice it more - including the windshield - in the shaded NC mountain twisties I ride so much here).

Hope that helps

·
Registered
600 Posts
I rode more than 80k miles behind the darkest tint they offer in both the 11" and 14" and never had an issue. Didn't buy the dark tint to keep from wearing sunglasses but more for the best look on the bike. Never knew the tint of the shield helped block the sun anyway. :grin: A lot of those miles were at night and many early morning rides to work or school. I also had my shield set where I was looking over it and not through it. Sounds like you may have picked the best shield for your preference.
I concur!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I bought from this site used a 11" and a 13" dark tint versions. I had the 13" on and was out for a ride, when I got hit by a huge rain storm. I pushed it up all the way to see if it helped me with not getting rained on. It helped immensely. So I left it that way. With the 13" up all the way, the top edge is below my eye sight while riding. So I look over it and, once in a while, through it. The next morning when I took it to work, I leave at 6:15, so it is a little dark, it was a little weird to see through it with it that dark in the morning. A couple times I wanted to pull over and lower it, but I said to hell with it and get used to it. Three times I got freaked out but stayed the course. Road with it the same way and the next two days. I still have it on but i lowered it to about an 1" from the bottom. (I keep moving it around to find the sweet spot. Then I forget when I find one and then spend time finding it again.... lol)

It IS an adjustment looking at a dark screen in darker times. But for the minimal times I ride in the dark, I can get used to it. Like others said, I like the dark tint look on the bike over lighter colored ones. So if I had a chance to exchange for a lighter would I?

No.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the 11" extra dark smoke MadStad. I choose that tint to help dim on coming headlights, which it does but not as much as I hoped. Have it adjusted where I look over the top not through it. It does effect what you can see right in front of the bike but if you're looking at that area of the road when riding you are not looking far enough ahead. I have the quick detach brackets and frequently remove the outer shield, I look at the same area of the road with or without the outer shield on. I am happy with the tint I choose, but for most people I would recommend a lighter tint, especially on a taller shield.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it's been three days since I ordered and I haven't seen any updates... then I just realized they are in Florida... looks like they are right in the path of hurricane Irma, but hopefully on the lighter end of it since they are on the west coast of FL, west of Orlando.

Here's hoping Mark and his team are safe and are able to return home soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Any update???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update... I received my Madstad and installed it today, here are a few pics.

These first two demonstrate the Madstad Medium Gray tint vs the stock FLTRU clear touring windshield. I can't upload any more in this one post due to image size.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The second two are the same, but I took photos with my iPhone flash enabled which shows one of the things I already don't care for with the Madstad... the opaque black inner shield.

As you can see, my view of the road in front of me is obstructed significantly by the lower black inner shield... I was worried about the tint this whole time but this actually bothers me much more than the tint.

For the record I found the Medium Gray totally fine for night riding and just went on an almost hour long ride, frequently stopping to adjust the Madstad and I don't think the Medium Gray shield is an issue at all.

However, I do find that the combination of the lower opaque black inner shield and the constant view of those brackets in my face are taking some getting used to. I'm certainly not going to make a judgement after only one ride and knowing they have a 60 day guarantee I will definitely ride with it for a few weeks at least before I make a final decision. I also want to get out on the highway with my lady on the back so we can see if it's really making that much of a difference for her as well.

With the stock windshield I was not able to close the top vent without introducing significant buffeting and with the Madstad I can now ride with it closed and can't tell any difference other than just less airflow towards my face. I am fairly tall at 6' 2" and am finding I need to set the Madstad all the way up and forward (away from me) to get the best wind protection... I ordered the 14" version and if I sit totally straight up I see just over the top of the shield edge and if I slouch a bit I am looking through the shield itself. Again, Medium Gray looking right through it and I have no concerns about visibility issues. Any darker though and I may feel differently so I'm glad I went with the Medium Gray after all.

I'm sure the visual of the brackets I would adjust to, it's just not something I'm used to... the lower black inner shield though I am not sure about... I do see a tiny bit of distortion along the top edge of the shield, which is something I never noticed with the stock windshield. However, I put the stock back on and it does have a similar effect but it's much less noticeable.

I also am seeing a bit of a warp/distortion above the left bracket, nothing on the right... the right side is clear as crystal, so I think it may be a tiny defect on the left side.

Again, all just my first impressions after an hour with the Madstad... I ride daily so after a few weeks we'll see how it really stacks up.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update... I also ordered the VStream 16" Clear... I just took my first ride with it and I like it MUCH better...

No matter how I adjusted the Madstad I never found a spot where I was happy... the VStream? I was immediately happy with its one and only position.

Again, only one ride but I'm already pretty sure I'll keep the VStream and return the Madstad.

Plus just look at the view! It's literally CRYSTAL clear... at night the Madatad has a "bloom" or "star" effect with oncoming headlights... not at all with the VStream.

That minor distortion I'm seeing along the edge of the Madstad? Nothing on the VStream...

I'm going to take more pictures and try to capture what I'm talking about...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts